PDA

View Full Version : Juan Atkins - Fact Mix

Mahatma Coat
03-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Here's a new mix from Juan Atkins:

http://www.factmag.com/2012/03/05/fact-mix-319-juan-atkins/

I haven't listened to it yet, so no idea if its any good...

Atkins did a mix for Little White Earbuds last year and shock horror, it was actually pretty shit, I was really surprised. The mixing was kind of clunky and toward the end there was even a train wreck. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why the guy thought he could release that as a credible podcast; if anyone else had done it they would've been flayed alive.

Hope this one's a bit better.

Ps. There's no track list yet.

propertrax
03-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Listened to this the other day...well, skimmed through it. Typical Atkins. i.e. underwhelming

I've yet to hear a mix from this man, in the 10ish years that I've given him a shot on the mix front, that was actually good. At least he used to throw in some quality classics, even if every transition was shoes in the dryer...but now it's mostly just bland shit that any average techno/house DJ rinses.

zzzzzzz

Mahatma Coat
03-19-2012, 05:51 AM
I really find it weird that a guy with such a reputation is so content to put out poor quality material.

Guess you can when you're still flying high on the Belleville bandwagon after two decades.

Shame though, expected more from the man.

propertrax
03-20-2012, 01:38 AM
As much respect as I have for Detroit, it's mostly for the "second generation" and beyond...The Belleville hype is content to sit on its hands, while Carl Craig, Hood, Mills, Larkin, Parrish, KDJ, Mike Banks, Huckaby, etc. are all still at it...and the newer folks are doing good work as well. If I were to pick any of "the three" it'd be May because he still throws a good DJ set, consistently put out the best music, and frankly, is a really nice dude...comes off as an ass to some, but he's just honest and opinionated...deep down, people know he's usually right, but they hate to admit it. But I think all three are probably given a bit too much credit compared to their contributions ;)

/heatshield