PDA

View Full Version : Recording Volume

kvnc
04-20-2014, 07:02 PM
I have a short question about volume level while recording my mixes... :eek:
My mixes seem to be quite low in volume and if I try to increase the volume, it tends to carry static noise.

It is fairly difficult for me to find the "sweet spot" and record without any static noise when hitting low bass and high notes. :(
I'm currently using DDJ-SX w/ Serato DJ accompanied by 2 Rokkit 5s.

I noticed there are individual volume levels for each track as well as trim knobs on the mixer, accompanied by Serato DJ's Mix output volume.
I was wondering if I should increase the software's record Mix output volume or the software's master volume level.

I hope what I wrote made sense, otherwise I'll try to clarify in the comments!

ps. I know people do not appreciate controllers as much as vinyls/cdjs, but my current budget only allowed me to pick up the SX. Hopefully in the near future I get to taste the Technics turntables... Please bear with me!

Sigma
04-20-2014, 07:11 PM
For the gain/trim knobs, have a read here: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?18479-Gains-101-What-they-re-for-and-how-to-use-them

As for the rest, I don't record the same way you do so I can't comment on that, but it seems strange that static is introduced into the recording when you increase the recording level.

djmickyk
04-20-2014, 07:13 PM
I only use cdjs, and i find the best way to record from a mixer is come from the booth output, as i have a knob to give me precise volume control to the laptop,my recording software of choice is audacity.

TheRabbitMonk
04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
use the booth input on your controller if it has one and yes i would say increase the volume on the software and decrease the volume on your controller. being sure to try and stay out of the red.
It's a case of fiddling around with it to find the happy medium but if your able to use the booth output, then you'll be able to move the recording volume up or down with knob.

If your recording through Serato, on scratch Live there is a gain increase inside the program just for recordings. I'm not to sure about Serato DJ, but it's there latest software so you would think it would be in place.

let us know how it goes!?

dlove
04-22-2014, 03:29 AM
hi, I don't know your equipment, but for recording, you need to set your device to 0 db [input gain]

DYM
05-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Find the maximum output dB of your controller (manual) and set your internal software master to the inverse. So if your max sound card output is 17 dB, set your software out to -17 dB. This will give you a unity gain output. As for recording, set levels accordingly. If you have to, record slightly under 0 dB to leave headroom and normalize in post production - could be in Logic/Audacity/etc.