PDA

View Full Version : What type of DJ are you? Strictly digital? Do you spin vinyl records?

Rek_Aviles
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
With more and more companies releasing midi capable equipment, we've reached the point where playing on CDs seems a bit outdated. Its been a while since I've seen a club dj booth without a laptop screen covering his or her face.

I myself have tried an DVS and midi setup but because you have to rely on a laptop to play the music, I'm reluctant to make that switch and give up my CDs. There are some DJs who still play records, convinced that nothing comes close to the feel and sound of vinyl. Actually, the very fact that you can still find places to buy newly released records speaks for itself, but we are definitely the minority.

With that said, cast your vote above so we can get an idea of who's using what. :tup:

Marc S
01-24-2012, 02:26 AM
inb4 flame war

Rek_Aviles
01-24-2012, 08:51 AM
:devil:

mr.smashy
01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I used to play strictly vinyl, but my physical location changed and vinyl availability reduced and price went up. I switched to DVS, but still have my record collection and buy a few records here and there. I would prefer to be all vinyl still, but my DJing has improved since I went to DVS for a number of reasons; probably foremost the larger amount of tracks available for the same amount of money.

Hausgeist
01-28-2012, 12:03 AM
CD is digital. Just saying. :devil:

Right now used vinyl is a buyer's market. Recently, I have been buying records for less than comparable mp3s. However, for gigs, vinyl is not practical as digital media.

CD decks are old school controllers. CDs are a dead media, but as of now I still use them.

Rek_Aviles
01-28-2012, 12:14 AM

T'is true but for the sake of this poll, lets just assume a "digital" setup means playing your music off a laptop, running some program. :argh:

Cervantes
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
i'm all about progressing with technology, but i think everyone should at least the basics with TT's.

Kevin James
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
That makes 0 sense Rek. Digital is Digital and CDs are DIGITAL.

With that being said, i started with turntables, moved to CDJS, went in to Ableton for a while and caught tons of slack from fellow DJs and Forum members so I went back to Turntables and a DVS. I then realized using turntables with a DVS is basically using the turntables as glorified midi controllers. My turntables and all vinyl have been sold, ditched the CDJS and now use a few different midi controllers depending on the gig.

I think it is important for any working DJ to have a full understanding of how vinyl, cds, dvs's, and Midi controllers work.

Rek_Aviles
01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Edited to avoid any confusion. :shrug:

Ellissentials
01-29-2012, 08:04 PM
I voted for what I am currently, not what I am able to use.

MIDI currently :)

JonAvalon
01-29-2012, 08:04 PM
I still do everything, i like it keep it open.

Stripe
01-29-2012, 08:05 PM
I knew what you meant rek :)

Rek_Aviles
01-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Thought it was pretty much accepted that "going digital" meant running a laptop, but I corrected my mistake to keep it movin.

Damon_Chambers
01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
well, my cdjs play off a usb hard drive. so technically im not playing cds. im so fucking confused.

drumpusher
01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
DVS and Vinyl.

l0ckd0wn
01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
My setup can support any of the above mediums, but I mostly am digital/midi based.

Will MaXimal
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Everything, i have a few records i have bought for my small collection that i enjoy playing. Mostly just use my controller though because its very good.

xyloft
01-31-2012, 06:37 PM
dvs and vinyl. i had CDJs and vinyl and DVS for awhile, but it was just an extra step to burn MP3's to CD so i sold them.

Echoik
01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm with Kevin here, DVS is a controller. CDJs are a controller. Folks using CDJs with Serato always sort of fascinated me as to why they wouldn't just get a VCI-100/300 -- thinking of leaping to controller myself. Never selling my decks tho.

Quick Edit: Serato exclusively pretty much at this point.

ilya
01-31-2012, 08:03 PM
The handsome, charming type :lush:

Atomisk
01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Right now I primarily use Traktor but I have a cheap set of Numarks (Thanks Haus...) that I practice on. I bring USB/CDs to clubs and bars to play on their house setup if available, though.

DJ Elroy
01-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Started vinyl in the late 90s, moved to CDJ about 2005, and now when I mix (which is rarely) I'm using Traktor with a Mixtrack. No, it's not as fun as either of the other two, but since I actually spin less and don't play out anymore I don't need them. Although I still have my Techs and vinyl. When the man-cave is done I'm going to get those set up again. I've been focusing more on production lately.

Intek
02-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Started out with vinyl & now use DVS. I'm looking to add a midi controller or two to add to the setup. I love the feel of the vinyl but the controllers will add more creativity and allow control that regular vinyl wouldn't have.

Budzak
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I use 1200s + SSL at home.

For what it's worth, every event I've ever attended has had CDJs.

Sometimes people bring controllers, and the one and only pure vinyl DJ I know is sure to bring her TTs if she's playing, but there are ALWAYS CDJs.

In fact, one of the reasons I haven't tried playing out is that I've absolutely no experience on CDJs, and I want to be able to play on the gear I know will be there.

JGeffen
02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
The retired kind. :-P

DJ Vernon
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I prefer the tactility of vinyl, but was forced to switch to CDJ's in 07. After getting bored out of my mind with DJing, I switching to Serato in '09. I prefer only to spin on the vinyl interface and pretty much nothing else. Honestly, it separates the men from the boys. Flame away digital jockeys.

Alex Murphy
02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
all of it, then stuff not being listed here...

DJ Matt
02-05-2012, 08:08 AM
im happy to say i have a setup now that integrates the whole shebang. and for special occasions i like to bring it all along to a gig.

The laptop and the denon mc6000 is the centre of my setup
everything i have on CD o vinyl, i also have on the laptop.

but i also collect CDs and vinyl for many reasons

1. CD: truth be told, i alway hated CDs, but many good albums still come out first on CD then only to be foud later on in mp3 format.

2. vinyl: i play latin music and much of the great latin music of the past 50 years is still not available at all digitally , so by searching around you can actually get an old gem and make it a hit

many of the current day salsa hits in latin america are made by record collectors digging them up, start playing them in the clubs & stations, then it finally gets re released.

i use the denon 3700 cd decks for
1. scratching
2. DJing outside where i cannot see the laptop screen.
3. guest djs

not to mention they work also with USB sticks, perhaps that shoud be anther option in the poll

Subprime
02-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Vinyl only, because I like records and I love never having any money.

Hygro
02-05-2012, 08:17 AM
My last gig I was using CDs on CDJ-2000s. On faderwave I use CDs and Denon dns3500s. When I do mobile gigs I use traktor scratch duo which I won in a contest here (and am quite grateful for). My next gig I believe is also on CDJ-2000s.

CDJ-2000s are the nicest damn things I have ever used. :drool:

Liam
02-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I orignally was vinyl, went to CDJ's for ease. Tried to switch to DVS so i could have all my tracks and use vinyl and or CDJ's depending on what i wanted at that gig.

Got irritated with having to use a laptop. So sticking with CDJ's.

dlove
02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Strictly vinyl, probably because I'm a record collector first. I know other admirable collectors who transfer all their vinyl onto CD or computer to play out, but I never have.

rest0r
02-05-2012, 10:05 AM
DVS just due to convenience. Still have my vynil collection.

DjLiquitATL
02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I've been a vinyl junkie since the beginning BUT since everything has went DVS and requires CPU and multiple updates of software and hardware...I'm leaning more towards CD Turntables with HD or USB option and giving DVS the middle finger! DVS has over-complicated the art of DJ'ing.

Signal Lost
02-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Laptop-only is not listed???

Haha, seriously, I spin CDs and from USB sticks. I like to play directly from RekordBox with the Link feature.

But I can adapt to whatever setup there is. I think versatility is the key.

Rek_Aviles
02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Laptop-only is not listed???

Haha, seriously, I spin CDs and from USB sticks. I like to play directly from RekordBox with the Link feature.

But I can adapt to whatever setup there is. I think versatility is the key.

hmmm.. never crossed my mind. If someone else asked the same, ill throw it in there.

Figured "DVS" would cover that, but ppl do use Ableton Live to dj. :squint:

ElectroManiac
02-05-2012, 10:42 AM
I start with a pair of DN-S1200 and a Ecler nuo 2.0 mixer. This setup have been great for the last couple of year. It teach me all the basic stuff and everything I need to know about djing. Sadly not to long a go, some thief got into my home when it was alone, and stole my mixer, my headphones and a bunch of other stuff not related to DJ.

Now I'm the hunt for a new setup. I want to have more than 2 channels this time, because I want to try 3 deck mixing and sampling. I really liking the idea of having a Midi Controller because of portability. I like the idea that I can put a controller and a laptop on a bag, and go to my friend house and have some fun playing. I'm kind thinking getting a S4 or a VCI-400, sell my DN-S1200 and get a couple of turntables, but I don't like the idea of relaying on a computer all the time, so I still haven't made my mind.

I also thinking of getting a 4 channnel mixer like a xone 42 or a nuo 4.0 and get Traktor pro 2, and use my DN-S1200 as midi controllers, but that will required expending more money.

When I made my mind I will vote on the poll.

danthedj
02-05-2012, 10:43 AM
hmmm.. never crossed my mind. If someone else asked the same, ill throw it in there.

Figured "DVS" would cover that, but ppl do use Ableton Live to dj. :squint:

I think hes talking about the "wanna be djs" that use vdj on their laptop with a mouse because they dont actually know how to dj.

Personally, I started off using cdjs with regular cds. Then moved on to a dvs for convenience and ability to organize better. Now, being in college im trying to move towards a midi controller (vestax typhoon or the like) so I can play at parties and tailgates without worrying about thousands of $$$ getting destroyed. :tup:

Rek_Aviles
02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
honestly, they're out there and it could be a legitimate poll option.

Signal Lost
02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Haha, indeed and unfortunately, you're right, Rek.

:P

Rek_Aviles
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Haha, indeed and unfortunately, you're right, Rek.

lol Unfortunately. :facepalm:

Ohmega
02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I have a bit of everything (2)Technics MK5,(2) CDJ-800 MKII, and Traktor w/ X1 they all have pro's and con's. Some things are surely easier on controllers but that could be said for CDJ and Vinyl too. But then you miss technology upgrades and development (which was kinda the point in the beginning with dance music) with Vinyl. To me I look for the complete DJ these days, able to play on all system setups at an equal level, multi-genre stacked and overall musicality. What we use is kinda irrelevant, however controllers do not sharpen your skills-the computer is doing most of that for you.

djshire
02-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I refer myself as a "mixed media" DJ, because I dj with both CDs and portable HDs.

Nicadraus
02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I play both DVS (TSP) and vinyl.

TSP mostly during gigs and regular nights. Vinyl (classic house 2007 and down) all the way during vinyl monday nights. :)

DJ Riddims
02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I use to be only cds but times have changed and I have to keep up with it.

DJMC
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm proudly and exclusively 100% CDs

silentsounds
02-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I was 100% CDs before I sold all my gear. Traktor now.

Boomcie
02-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I use them all, but mostly vinyl

B.Frank
02-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I've had too many setups in too short a time. Started off with cds, moved on to a midi controller and then went back to cds. On occasion I would switch setups with my friend who had turntables and it was so much fun I decided to sell my cdj 900s like 2 days ago. Soooo now I'm in the market for some techs to use with Traktor and my extremely small vinyl collection :tup:.

Rek_Aviles
02-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Surprised at the amount of ppl still using vinyl..

let me edit that option to specify that you're saying that you play rekkids and not just use timecode for your DVS. :shrug:

finalcoyote
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I span vinyl and CD's before, but now I'm all about the digital. I have a Xone 3D and a 1D, and that's all I'll ever need. *cough*
Wouldn't mind another set of TT's, because I miss mixing manually. Apart from that, meh.

JohnnyGraz
02-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Ever since I first got into DJing when the VCI-100 came out, I have been a strictly digital/MIDI DJ! Rocking the Numark V7's, Pioneer DJM-2000 and Serato ITCH now!

jaytoh
02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Depends what I'm playing.

CD's for Dubstep and some House
Vinyl for House, Garage, Jungle & Hardcore

Rothgery
02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
started on only vinyl - then got some cdjs, now mostly just use my cdjs with HD's but no DVS or any software. I need to get back into my tables, I jump on them every now and then, but its not like a bike lol - mad rusty

H.S.
02-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Djing to me has always been a hobby, so the only reason I do it is to entertain myself and my enjoyment has always come from the challenges of trying to become a better dj. Oddly enough, to me technology is taking away from the fun and mystique of what being a dj used to be, now anybody with a computer and a pirated version of virtual dj calls themselves a dj.

I started off with CDJs about 7 years ago and since have moved to Traktor Scratch being controlled by vinyl not only because i think its more impressive visually but its also more challenging than playing on cdjs. But even that has become boring to me and lately i have been buying more and more original vinyl with the hopes of at least having enough music to be able to play computer free. Lately this has been the challenge that has sparked my interest in djing once again. Its ironic that nowadays playing vinyl actually sets you apart from other djs.

Again i'm only speaking for myself, but when i go out and see djs playing with nothing but computers and controllers they lose my interest (even if they rationalize their move by saying they have been doing it long enough that they paid their dues and have mixed conventionally for too long). I personally would rather watch a dj beatmatching 2 vinyls or even cds than one who is controlling software and throwing in a million loops any day.

Im glad more and more djs i have spoken to lately feel similarly and just like music is going back to its more organic and funky roots i believe there is movement of people like myself that even though were never around for the golden days of vinyl are starting to appreciate it and making a concerned move away from technology and more into the basics of djing like someone else mentioned to separate the men from the boys.

DJ Matt
02-05-2012, 06:17 PM
now anybody with a computer and a pirated version of virtual dj calls themselves a dj.
what cracks me up about those retards is that they are so busy pirating stuff that they dont even realise that virtual DJ is FREEE on the virtual dj website especially for people like them

and if they buy a controller they still get virtual dj free.. LOL

i dont believe that the solution is a move away from technology, it just must be a move towards respecting the technology and its roots, virtualy DJ is a powerful tool.
and respecting the music also, djs should make an effort to learn about the music they play :)

Rob Alahn
02-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I spin on anything. Started spinning in the early '80s on cassette decks and belt drive turntables--didn't know what I was doin. Now I'm on a XONE:DX controller, CDJ 2000s and Technics 1210M5Gs. I'm also trying to wrap my brain around Ableton 8 and Reasons 6. Old dogs need all the new tricks :)

TooHypE
02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Like my profile stated!!

DJ'ing since I was 13 mid 80's from Vinyl to CD's to fully Digital I came-up 1+2+3+4 CDJ/TT's wit Technics SL-1200mk2, Pioneer CDJ-400's, Numark DXM-06 & Serato/Rane SL4 & Akai MPD24 and now Ableton Live[The Bridge] new mixes & remixes coming soon!! stay tune!

EdMuggles
02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
i was thinking of moving from vinyl to CDs, seening as they are now old school enough for me... :P
i will play on anything, as long as i am playing good music... scrap that... as long as the crowd likes the music.
but in my personal time, nothing beats the feel of vinyl under my fingers

Cupe
02-05-2012, 08:15 PM
So happy to finally get traktor

Jason Cerna
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
haven't mixed with records in years. i still scratch with them, just no mixing.

DeadPhr0g
02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I use cassette tapes.

moyo wilde
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
trying to get some gigs so it has been all about diversity lately. didn't see an option for what i am doing.

i use software (ableton), CDs, and dvs. have some vinyl but most of it uses live instruments and i don't have them kinda skills.:ninja:

Rick_N
02-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Im still locked into vinyl, but i play with a DVS just to save some cash on tunes. But truthfully its too much of a pain to plug my computer in most of the time (lol), so i just grab some records and go. Also can jam on cdjs and have a booklet/usb stick just incase a place i play only has cdjs.

Mr Rupee
02-05-2012, 11:07 PM
straight up vinyl, tried dvs but just prefer vinyl. Yeah it is expensive but so are a lot of other things

Andrew B
02-05-2012, 11:11 PM
All of the above. Even though I learned on vinyl, I prefer CDs (then vinyl as a close 2nd, and DVS in a distant 3rd). I suppose I would play with hard drives, but my CDJs don't have that capability. Not really into controllers, but I see that's not an option in the poll anyway. :P

Friction
02-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Right now it is 100% controller (VCI-400). But I have 2 techs that are waiting to get setup somewhere in the new place at some stage and a decent collection of vinyl I moved to Europe so I would say I play everything.

dskreet
02-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Vinyl and DVS, had to jump to Serato when some of my favorite producers started to release digital only tracks. But I'm Vinyl all the way.

dlove
02-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Vinyl and DVS, had to jump to Serato when some of my favorite producers started to release digital only tracks. But I'm Vinyl all the way.

A bane of my life, that is. I've missed-out on playing a few tunes lately, because of digital only release. I'm so happy Hint released 'Aliens Enter' on 10", cos I was especially worried I'd miss that one.

mr_ragz
02-06-2012, 02:32 AM
I'm anti laptop :uhoh:

Hygro
02-06-2012, 03:10 AM
I'm anti laptop :uhoh:

DJing is all about rocking the crowd, the gear doesn't matter and all you purist dinosaurs are just haters and dum. I can do so much more with controllers than you can with vynals.

j/k :zany:

DJWhoQE
02-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Been using vinyl lately while spinning out (though it's mostly of the timecode variety), but I still use CD's and even my Hercules RMX when the necessity strikes. All have their time and place.

Adzm00
02-06-2012, 04:51 AM
CDs and Vinyl.

I use a laptop for additional FX and throwing in loops/samples. Well until my laptop got stolen, and I need to buy a new one. Well lame.

BuddyUK
02-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Vinyl or nothing, would rather do a shit mix with records than a perfect mix on some digital/computer bollocks, where is the challenge, the fun in it?

Get used to it lads VINYL WILL NEVER DIE, if you don't have a tune on record, you don't have it, simple as.

SplishDJ
02-06-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm a relatively new DJ and chose to go the DVS and vinyl route for two reasons. One, to physically be able to play vinyl independently, and two, to keep the cost down by buying digital MP3's. I still buy vinyl (purely old skool UK Garage) but probably spend most of my time on Beatport and Juno.

S.Michael
02-06-2012, 05:22 AM
CDs and CDJ's only!

mostapha
02-06-2012, 06:27 AM
I've used it all during my short pseudo-career.

Started on vinyl. Bought SSL. Sold SSL. Bought CDJs. Bought SSL AGAIN. Sold Turntables and SSL. Bought Ableton + Controller. Sold CDJs. Bought Trkator + Controllers. Sold all my controllers. Bought turntables and SSL.

Except for the fact that I'm using SSL because I can't afford vinyl I've literally come full circle. I was happy to see my computer gear go and I got so little for my CDJ-200s that I seriously considered breaking them Office Space-style instead of selling them. I respect a lot of different ways to DJ and would bring a pair of USB Flash Drives to a club long before vinyl and SSL, but my bedroom doesn't look right without a pair of Technics.

The Blackest
02-06-2012, 06:36 AM
I use it all. At home just CDs and Vinyl and the same if I'm playing out by myself. Usually if I'm tagging w/ someone I'm using Serato(w/ control vinyl) or Traktor w/ an S4.

Andrew1207
02-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Depends on the genre(s) I doing. If it's house/trance I prefer CDJs, if it's hip hop I prefer turntables. Dubstep/DnB I enjoy using both.

Muggz
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I would say that I am an all around guy. I've practically played with every set up possible but liked Turntables and CDJ's the best.

Rek_Aviles
02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
For those mentioning that they use Ableton, I tweaked the options, adding "software" with DVS. Too late to add another field, but grouping the two works.

digi16v
02-06-2012, 11:08 AM
I dont use CD's but I do use vinyl, DVS and midi-controller
so I'm not sure what catergory I fit in:confused:

DJMC
02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
As a proud 100% CD DJ -- its encouraging to know that I belong to a very exclusive group comprising just 6.84% of all DJs.

DJMC is a Sacramento Wedding DJ (http://www.dj-mc.com) who specializes in non-cheesy receptions and private events.

LoveBass
02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Steadly more and more vinyl for me! Less and less midi I suppose. Can't see myself adding anything to my digital rig

Rek_Aviles
02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
I dont use CD's but I do use vinyl, DVS and midi-controller
so I'm not sure what catergory I fit in:confused:

You just need to sate if you use DVS or software, so i'll edit the first option and remove "midi-controller".

digi16v
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
You just need to sate if you use DVS or software, so i'll edit the first option and remove "midi-controller".

Thanks Reks..
:tup:
now i fit somewere....
DVS/Vinyl use.
vinyl/DVS at home but DVS/midi when im mobilin..:freak:

RDRCK
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
I voted for everything. Although I am most comfortable with strictly vinyl and least comfortable with CDJs.

Pineapple
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
You guys forgot Cassette, 8 track & Reel To Reel which I used in my early days of DJ'ing lol

purex like soap
02-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I play it all, but would prefer vinyl.

Will MaXimal
02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I have vinyl decks for my record collection and just for messing around on when i am home but my serious rig is all digital. I usually like to play deep and progressive house on the wheels of steel but when it comes to getting technical i am all digital... I also love really glitchy stuff so having maximum control is what i desire.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/gnarkills/?action=view&current=VID_20120206_000108.mp4

DTR
02-06-2012, 05:25 PM
DVS & vinyl.

But that's <1% DVS, >99% vinyl :D

the4thImpulse
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
just software for me :D

Rek_Aviles
02-06-2012, 06:34 PM
You guys forgot Cassette, 8 track & Reel To Reel which I used in my early days of DJ'ing lol

Lets see you try to use that now. :P

Somedj
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
cds and dvs

sephi
02-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Started on vinyl, tried several CD decks and hated them all, early adopter for SSL, spun records and used SSL for years, had all my records and most of my gear stolen, went to almost purely SSL with some vinyl, now using only SSL with CD decks as glorified controllers.

Chay
02-07-2012, 04:57 AM
DVS here... Since it's the only thing I got :P

Dantron
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Strictly vinyl. Got rid of my DVS and now I collect vinyl like it's going out of style(which it is :().

BrokenArr0w
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I started out on Vinyl.. Moved onto Vinyl + CDs.. stopped buying records.. now I'm all Ableton Live and MIDI controllers :)

bernardgregory
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I started with Technics cause thats all I knew. Someone told me about Serato and I got that. As time passes, I wanted CDJs, to leave my 1200s at home and use the CDJs for my club gigs, but couldnt afford them. Today, I'd hate to be caught in the club using anything but TTs. Not knocking the folks that use controllers or CDJs, but I started DJing because of Hip-Hop. The essence.

DJ ArmanB
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
CDs, USB, DVS/Software. I would love to get my hands on some actual records, but can't seem to find anything good.

Era 7
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
currently DVS (Serato) with my CDJs.

Sigma
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Vinyl and Serato for me. I will never DJ any other way. I love vinyl, and Serato is great for tracks I either can't get or can't afford on vinyl, and for being able to literally sample anything and throw it into a mix without having to go to the trouble of getting a custom record made. All Serato needs is FLAC support (and it finally looks like that might be happening) and I'll be totally happy with it.

Interracial Tea
02-07-2012, 08:27 PM
A good one. http://i.imgur.com/vDtPk.gif

oMar
02-07-2012, 09:09 PM
CD's only. DVS, Software, Midi - never gonna do it :tdown:

Chay
02-07-2012, 11:36 PM
A good one. http://i.imgur.com/vDtPk.gif

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/attachments/f2/333749d1327789237-time-again-let-me-know-what-we-need-1617295_i_see_what_you_did_there_holyshit_super_re _sharenator_community_unite-s444x475-150637-58.jpg

Moss
02-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Used to dj with only records , but it became hard to travel with it and i couldn't always get the tracks i wanted on vinyl (locally)

Switched to cd's only . I still use them from time to time if the cdj's at the gig doesn't have usb connectivity. Stopped using it mainly because i was spending way too much time burning cd's and making little papers with title than playing.

Went with dvs. Had traktor and serato. But once again , it became too much gear to lug around (xone 32 , cdj 1000's , serato or traktor , computer , back up cd's , headphones...)

I'm now with controller's (for home use and small gig's) . Using traktor with my vci 100 arcade . Sometimes I do my set's with ableton if I feel like warping lol.

And last but not least , usb's :) I pretty much use the same playlist i created on traktor and export them to usb's and use that . That way I don't have to bring my laptop all the time :)

Paulie65m
02-08-2012, 02:11 AM
started with only vinyl , staying with only vinyl for now , until i could afford a Reel to Reel for my upgrade:D

Ferryman
02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
I was strictly vinyl for about 3.5 years, but the sheer cost of vinyl these days (I buy house, techno, garage, dubstep and d'n'b) means I can't afford to buy every release I want, so I now only buy vinyl when purchasing d'n'b, dubstep, garage, and I buy MP3's when buying house / techno. Saves me a fuck load of money.

funkyfresh
02-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Definitely had my fair share of performing on all, but I'm more DVS/vinyl nowadays.

OrionZ
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
real djs spin everything. if you dont...YOURE NOT OLD'S COOL ENOUGH.

DJMC
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Nothing more tasty than foreign language SPAM... ;)

DJMC is a Sacramento Wedding DJ (http://www.dj-mc.com) who provides non-cheesy wedding reception DJs.

Chay
02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Nothing more tasty than foreign language SPAM... ;)

DJMC is a Sacramento Wedding DJ (http://www.dj-mc.com) who provides non-cheesy wedding reception DJs.

That or random unicodes then add a link afterwards :lol:

zakalak
02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
I use Software and CDJs (When I get the chance, I don't own CDJs)

Stevil
02-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I used to be vinyl only, but as stated earlier by others, getting good vinyl has become increasingly more difficult (not to mention expensive). I'm now more of a hybrid DJ flipping between DVS and real vinyl.

BuddyUK
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Strictly vinyl. Got rid of my DVS and now I collect vinyl like it's going out of style(which it is :().

They've been saying that vinyl is dying for 30 years and counting mate, record players outsell CD players in the UK nowadays for a start.

DJMC
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
The percentage of 100% Compact Disc playing DJs has dropped to only 5.24%.

Its like I'm part of an exclusive club! ;)

gjb1969
02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
old school wax only:love:

monomer
02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Vinyl. Till I die.

It's the most human like medium. It's not perfect. LIFE has surface noise!

Rome_89
02-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I play it all if I have to but my preference is with Serato Scratch Live as I'm a mobile DJ but love to use Technics so it's the best of both worlds! Will most likely consider using a pioneer controller for Serato as they bring out better versions!

punky
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
All digital. I don't mess with physical media at all. It's gotten to the point where I'm contemplating selling my turntables because I never use them. (They're TTXes, not Technics, don't everyone get all excited.)

DJ ATX
02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I learned on straight up vinyl in the late 80's. I quit DJing in the late nineties and early 2000's so I missed the whole CD thing and skipped into DVS, MIDI.

djdavidvaux
02-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Electronic Dance Music DJ.
Strictly spin House, Electro, Progressive, and Dubstep.
Started off as a college DJ. Spinning top 40 and what not, thankfully pushed away from my dark times.

I use only digital.
I rock CDJs and Serato.
Embrace technology.

fat8ack
02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
NS6 and Serato Itch. I love it and feel that I am a controller guy. To much of all of DJF's dismay.......I have never really used TT's and never really even touched CDJ's short of the set up in guitar center. I used TT's a long time ago (the mid 90's) and did not have time or money (was homeless) to get into it. Enter the digi revolution. Started with a Mix Track Pro and then got my NS6.

I have never been happier in my life using my NS6 and Itch to mix music with and make people dance from time to time. Happiness.

fueledbymusic
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
For me. I use CDs and mp3s only. No more do I do vinyls. I had just sold every single vinyl I had. CDs are more simpler for me. Or that just simply what I like better. But I also use the computer as well to play MP3. I dont use Serato or other software. I just use the straight media player on the 3rd channel. While using CDs.

fueledbymusic
02-09-2012, 08:38 PM
CDs is suppossively digital. But its not the same as MPs and computer programs.

Original
02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I have used and respect all the technologies (well, all the aforementioned technologies) available to me as a DJ. To exclude anything would be limiting to my capabilities and detrimental to myself as a musician.

AndrewEddyEdwards
02-10-2012, 06:09 AM
I do play everything (I mean both hardware & music).
When I play on the cruiseships I use my laptop... I have 2 programs, Traktor Scratch Duo & also one crappy E-Jay program (similar to Virtual DJ, for when the cruiseliner doesn't have the hook up for Traktor). I have over 50,000 tracks on my external hard-drive & I have to play a mixture of everything from 50's to modern day, depending on age groups onboard.

When I spin house, either for the night I co-promote "Funkified", or any other gig I play whatever format they allow. I still love spinning vinyl but I don't really have any new vinyl as not a lot of labels still make it. Vinyl is usually for old-skool nights, or older records & CD's for everything else.

It's nice to be versatile, especially to show others that you can do a bit of everything. I can mix on all formats (I can't scratch for shit but never needed to) and I have good MC skills for the commercial side of things. To me a good DJ needs to know the basics depending on what that gig requires... you may be able to mix on 4 decks like Carl Cox, but if there's a hen do that wants a shout out and you don't use microphones then you won't go down to well.

BuddyUK
02-11-2012, 08:26 AM
LIFE has surface noise!

John Peel R.I.P.

DjZzeless
02-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Learned on vineyl, still use vinyl, but been digital since last summer!

RINIFLeX
02-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Right now used vinyl is a buyer's market. Recently, I have been buying records for less than comparable mp3s. However, for gigs, vinyl is not practical as digital media.

CD decks are old school controllers. CDs are a dead media, but as of now I still use them.

Haus,

Where have you been finding these deals on vinyl?

Hausgeist
02-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Haus,

Where have you been finding these deals on vinyl?

Mainly Discogs and Ebay. Lately, I have been getting stuff from http://sectorshop.com/music/ as well. He'll deal with you on varying quantities from the older releases. Just ask. :tup:

Hygro
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
A friend of mine started buy old funk records, ended up knowing the market so well he paid off his student loans in two years dealing black crack to white hipsters.

nem0nic
02-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Strictly digital now.

iammongo
02-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Started in 87 on Vinyl
Happily Jumped to CDJ-600's in the mid 90's
STarted going digital in 2009 with a traktor purchase But still only used my cdj-900's with CD's and USB sticks at gigs.

2 week ago i finally rammed it all together with the Purchase of a DJM-T1...Wish i would have done it sooner!

Drevo
02-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Started on Traktor with a controller. Moved to my current set-up with Serato and Technics but after spending time with older local EDM DJs and playing around on their CDJs I am definitely looking to make the move to CDs only within the next months (or to be more accurate usb thumbsticks with new CDJs).

BuddyUK
02-14-2012, 05:51 AM
No labels release vinyl!

http://www.juno.co.uk/techno/this-week/vinyl/

Bollocks! REAL labels make records

Enbrace technology!

Embrace QUALITY

mantis
02-14-2012, 09:59 AM
CDJ only. I have cdj 800mk2 at home and use cds and mp3 discs, but at club i use cdj 2000 so i started using recordbox and usb drives. For me, I think cdj2000s are just great. Dont need anything else, and dont even see the need for midi controlers or dvs if u have these. I dont like using laptop at all as my laptop is old. im still using win xp

neonpachyderm
02-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Because I'm primarily a mobile DJ, and given the market I'm gigging to, a laptop running Virtual DJ works great for me. I'd love to add a physical controller, maybe a time-code vinyl setup.

brawny
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I started with vinyl and still have a regular vinyl night. I have to say I'm still struggling to master song selection in DVS. It's like there are too many options. I like flipping through the crates, even though my selection is like 4% of what I have on digital I feel like I am more likely to find the JAM with those big sleeves and the artwork and all.

I use Serato and TTS but as you learn keyboard shortcuts and start using relative mode and loops it's like are the 1000 dollars and 40 pounds worth of equip really worth it? I suck at scratching, and I've done a few gigs without my TTS, just with a mixer and serato.

So I think for what I do to pay the bills (dumb bar dance parties and weddings) I may ultimately be headed towards a controller.

But for now vinyl and serato.

aleksvanrohrer
02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
You forgot the option for thumb drive!!!!!

Rek_Aviles
02-15-2012, 08:20 PM
You forgot the option for thumb drive!!!!!

thumb drives only ?! :freak:

aleksvanrohrer
02-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Ya. CDJ 2000's. I don't really consider that CDs nor software.

oliosky
02-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Its software if you ask me. CDJ2000s are just two big controllers.

Hygro
02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Ya. CDJ 2000's. I don't really consider that CDs nor software.

I was using them for CDs last time....

Quentin Legend
02-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Anyone care to tell me what "DVS" stands for?

I know it's probably something like "DJ Virtual Software" or "Digital Visual Software" but I just have to ask out of curiosity :)

DTR
02-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Anyone care to tell me what "DVS" stands for?

Digital Vinyl System / Software. Such as Serato, Traktor, Torq, Final Scratch (:teef:) etc

Grifff
02-16-2012, 08:06 AM
I started off as a CDJer (if that's even a word), then about a year and a half ago I decided to buy a controller. Just recently though I've felt that DJing has become a bit stale, so now I've decided to go back to using CDJs. I might even sell my controller yet, depending on how I feel in a few weeks

Quentin Legend
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Digital Vinyl System / Software. Such as Serato, Traktor, Torq, Final Scratch (:teef:) etc

+ Repped.

TheFrenchWay
02-16-2012, 12:59 PM
SL3 With time coded Vinyls for long mixes and a Midi controller to just have fun and rock out crazy loops and etc.

Alex Murphy
02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
SL3 With time coded Vinyls for long mixes and a Midi controller to just have fun and rock out crazy loops and etc.

Just passing by and recycling old jokes :teef:

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/manu.jpg

TheFrenchWay
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Just passing by and recycling old jokes :teef:

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/manu.jpg

Now that my secret DJ outfit is exposed... I will need a new one. Haha

Rep + for you Manu I did chuckle. :p

Mrspyaman
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I voted I play it all, but I only use turntables to control everything.
I play cd's through a tascam scratch controller, I play the vinyl through a bypass, and everything else through deckadance.
I have been able to adjust to the different delays and drifts in the media types but I never could beat match with standard controllers.

aleksvanrohrer
02-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Its software if you ask me. CDJ2000s are just two big controllers.

Not exactly, you still have to be able to beat and phrase match by ear, and if you don't analyse in rekordbox there is like 1 min of waveform read out (which isn't that good) and no quantized loops.

alazydj
02-17-2012, 01:01 AM
I started when I was 16 with vinyl on 2 techs and a Vestax pmc17a.

Moved over to the M-Audio Xponent when I had to move and no longer had the room for turntables.

I later moved back to turntables with serato.

Practicing with vinyl here and there...but I'm usually using serato.

g6music
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
I currently, and started on, MIDI and Traktor (like most people these days). I'm starting to spin in a duo with a buddy of mine who grew up on vinyl and CD's, so now I can FINALLY sit down and start learning the original way of DJing. That's the main problem I have with this "everyone's a DJ" culture we're moving into: no one understands or respects the amazing talent and skill of DJing with vinyl or CD's.

So while I currently use, and probably will always stick with, digital (laptop and MIDI controller) for live, I (if money allows in the future) would love to have a vinyl/CD setup to practice/have fun with. You MUST respect where it all came from if you're going to learn how to properly DJ.

popong
02-18-2012, 06:56 AM
tried TT and cdjs and end up with an S4 :D

Estacy
02-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Vinyl DJ, and will keep on spinning the wax. I dont like CD's or digital stuff

Raindance Rob
02-18-2012, 09:26 PM
With more and more companies releasing midi capable equipment, we've reached the point where playing on CDs seems a bit outdated. Its been a while since I've seen a club dj booth without a laptop screen covering his or her face.

I myself have tried an DVS and midi setup but because you have to rely on a laptop to play the music, I'm reluctant to make that switch and give up my CDs. There are some DJs who still play records, convinced that nothing comes close to the feel and sound of vinyl. Actually, the very fact that you can still find places to buy newly released records speaks for itself, but we are definitely the minority.

With that said, cast your vote above so we can get an idea of who's using what. :tup:

vinyl ftw & btw if you cant find the music you want on vinyl get em pressed on dubplate, its costly but defo worth it just very addictive lol

Mark_Spit
02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm 98% vinyl, but if I were to do it all over again I'd honestly have to say I'd be all digital. Really, who wants to carry around 5-6 crates at almost 50 pounds each?

dlove
02-19-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm 98% vinyl, but if I were to do it all over again I'd honestly have to say I'd be all digital. Really, who wants to carry around 5-6 crates at almost 50 pounds each?

"5-6 crates"? The only DJ I know bringing that many records to a dance is Mr. Scruff, and he has a bus. One record bag on wheels holds (at least!) 200, and one 7" box holds around the same again. I can go for hours on them, so I can't see why you want 5-6 crates.

In saying that, my 16 year old son is getting into collecting his own vinyl now, but he has tons of digital music, so I'm thinking of getting him DVS at some point, as he's already on my decks with the few bits of vinyl he has. So, like you, if I was starting now, I'd be looking very seriously at digital. A solid vinyl collection is harder to build nowadays anyway.

dlove
02-19-2012, 04:35 AM
(this sounds really basic, but then, my rules of thumb always are...I think of every tune as around 3 minutes, give or take extensions. That means there's around 10 tunes to every half hour (20 to every hour) - adding it up, one box of 200 records...around 10 hours.)

Estacy
02-19-2012, 05:15 AM
If you have to spin for 4 hours, that would be 4x60/3= 80 tracks. perfectly doable with just one bag. just pick the right records beforehand

dlove
02-19-2012, 06:22 AM
just pick the right records beforehand

yep, for most slots, even having a rough idea what you're going to play that night, you can still take double the amount in one bag. The only time vinyl becomes an issue is when you're boarding a basic flight - the budget airlines are horrible to people with record boxes, so it's an even meaner decant into a shoulder bag & 7"s in with the clothes :(

DJ_BLAKNITE
02-19-2012, 03:30 PM
all depends on what mood im in!

Mark_Spit
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
"5-6 crates"? The only DJ I know bringing that many records to a dance is Mr. Scruff, and he has a bus. One record bag on wheels holds (at least!) 200, and one 7" box holds around the same again. I can go for hours on them, so I can't see why you want 5-6 crates.

In saying that, my 16 year old son is getting into collecting his own vinyl now, but he has tons of digital music, so I'm thinking of getting him DVS at some point, as he's already on my decks with the few bits of vinyl he has. So, like you, if I was starting now, I'd be looking very seriously at digital. A solid vinyl collection is harder to build nowadays anyway.

I should probably clarify. Its been quite a while since Ive played out and when I used to I was multi-genre: 1 crate of Hip-Hop, 1 for R&B, the third was Reggae. The other DJ would bring about 2 - 3 crates as well. No way I would bring just 1 crate to an event even if I spun 1 genre. You never know how good or bad the night's going to be and what requests you may get.

dlove
02-20-2012, 02:21 AM
I should probably clarify. Its been quite a while since Ive played out and when I used to I was multi-genre: 1 crate of Hip-Hop, 1 for R&B, the third was Reggae. The other DJ would bring about 2 - 3 crates as well. No way I would bring just 1 crate to an event even if I spun 1 genre. You never know how good or bad the night's going to be and what requests you may get.

I play multi-genre on my resident night, either for 2 hours or 4 hours, depending on whether I've got a guest. I don't do set-lists, and with my 2 boxes, I still come home thinking there wasn't enough time to get everything in.

blackfoxbb
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
when I first started back in 89 i also used cassette tape. and vinyl, and then cd, and then digital (software).
confused, the poll is about what we use today? or what we use if available? cause there's a lot of weird stuff that can be available to play with :D

Rek_Aviles
02-20-2012, 11:46 PM
when I first started back in 89 i also used cassette tape. and vinyl, and then cd, and then digital (software).
confused, the poll is about what we use today? or what we use if available? cause there's a lot of weird stuff that can be available to play with :D

Currently using, although im sure ppl chose on what theyve used throughout, which is cool too since there are so many DJs who jumped straight to software.

As for myself, I selected CDs only. I started on turn tables and played that traditional setup for yrs, but for the last 10 yrs or so, my setup's been 2 CD players and a mixer.

chrisfornow
02-24-2012, 08:01 AM
I use two vinyl turntables plugged into my Behringer vmx300usb mixer. Then I plug my laptop running VDJ into the mixer.

I love playing vinyl, it's so tactile and let's face it, it looks so f*cking cool. I like having the laptop there so I can drop a newer digital track every now and then. :)

OllieSmith
02-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Vinyl only, but I am not a DJ :D I had a DVS and didnt like the feel of it so decided to learn and play on vinyl and love it. I dont like the cost so much, but to get a decent laptop for music only plus traktor it would be well over £1000 in UK, I would rather spend it on a bigger collection of vinyl myself but each ot their own.

Ferryman
02-24-2012, 09:29 AM
I would like to think a good one ;) lol

DJ Subculture
05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
...i started with turntables, moved to CDJS, went in to Ableton for a while and caught tons of slack from fellow DJs and Forum members so I went back to Turntables and a DVS. I then realized using turntables with a DVS is basically using the turntables as glorified midi controllers. My turntables and all vinyl have been sold, ditched the CDJS and now use a few different midi controllers depending on the gig...

I started same way. Vinyl, CD, Media players and now Midi.

squirrelmaster
06-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I use both vinyl and DVS. DVS is if I'm getting paid for a top 40 set. Vinyl is for when I'm playing stuff I really like.

Dj jema
06-26-2012, 01:12 AM
I use cds as well as midi

GhOSt
07-08-2012, 07:28 AM
I have the Versadeck, though its a controller, I fear the dangers of a balls up of the software or pc so I play from usb sticks...so yeah i guess I'm digital for now

DJ Difficult
07-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Started with cheap 2nd hand controller (bcd3000) and Vdj, got bored and buyed pair of cdj's (ndx-400) & mixer (m4) this summer and now use only cd's / thumbdrives. Planning to get at least on tt in the future. Mixer has 3 channels so i can play all of them at the same time.

DJSkittles
07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
I've always spun digital just simply because thats what i started with. But i have always been interested in vinyl and CDJ's. I plan on playing with those in the future.

DJ Retro Blaze
07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
I mostly use a DVS setup with turntables. However, I still pull out the ol' vinyl on occasion. Overall, my DJ approach and style is the same whether I use vinyl or TSP.

Skeyelab
11-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Started w/ TTs, then moved to CDs, and now use vinyl and 2 x Numark V7, so vinyl and digital these days

MarcusB
11-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Started with TTs, then went to Ableton, then learned CDs.

But now, Ableton is really the only way I can play, since I prefer the live remix/production capabilities.

samuelsan
12-17-2012, 02:07 AM
I have only used DJ controllers!!! But I have always wanted to learn on vinyl!

xs2man
12-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Started with vinyl back in 97, stayed with it. Only in 2011 did I get proper CDJ's (350's, have had a cdj 500 for years, but rarely used). Sold them about a month ago to save for 2000's.

In the meantime, I bought a DB4 which I use with TSP, so currently running a DVS system, with vinyl when I can fit it in. My last mix was vinyl only though. Loved it.

noize_unit
12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Started with vinyl back in 97, stayed with it. Only in 2011 did I get proper CDJ's (350's, have had a cdj 500 for years, but rarely used). Sold them about a month ago to save for 2000's.

In the meantime, I bought a DB4 which I use with TSP, so currently running a DVS system, with vinyl when I can fit it in. My last mix was vinyl only though. Loved it.

how you like the DB4 with TTs, I have TTs and plan to replace my xone 42 with the Db4 but i also have midi control surfaces (Kontrol F1 and X1)

cliffmatics
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Both DVS and Vinyl. There are some throwback and retro nights where some clubs will have a special themes where it is direct vinyl only and no digital equipment. So it is important for me to still have a solid vinyl collection.

xs2man
12-17-2012, 03:47 PM
how you like the DB4 with TTs, I have TTs and plan to replace my xone 42 with the Db4 but i also have midi control surfaces (Kontrol F1 and X1)

Love it. The BPM detection is spot on for me, and the fx are amazing. Couple that with Traktor DVS and I'm very happy with my choice. I came from a DJM 800, and felt the cost to upgrade to the 900 just wasn't worth it. The DB4 on the other hand. Different animal.

D.I.P.
12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
a little of everything, but sooner or later will be all digital...

zaxl
12-20-2012, 10:09 AM
i started with vinyl, after a couple years bought Serato. i've played on CDJ's at a few gigs, but never owned any.

Serato is kind of a pain in the ass sometimes, with the needles not tracking properly, but i love having a large mp3 collection vs. one or two crates of records to choose from.

Lowercase
12-20-2012, 11:37 AM
i started on vinyl, then got serato. had cdjs at one point, would like another set in the new year maybe to mess about on.

djAj90
12-20-2012, 01:03 PM
I use ipods right now as a mobile dj,but will use dj controller with a pad controller setup when I transition to clubs.

aaron altar
12-21-2012, 01:50 PM
I started on vinyl in 97, still play it although I also use a controller now and do the digital thing. Never did cdjs though.

DJmarkman181
12-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey there, As a mobile DJ I use both CD and Digital media. I am moving more and more toward all digital media but I do still find it a little easier using cd's as I know were everything is in my collection. I'm sure that will changes the same as it did when I made the transition for records to cd's. I just need to learn a little more to be more comfortable. Any suggestions on where the best place to learn digital is?

DePen
01-01-2013, 06:10 PM
a good thread to start:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?14902-Before-you-ask-about-the-BEST-controller

but the entire dj digital tools postings are going to be your bread and butter. i might suggest the numark mixdeck, comes with traktor, and you can test all of your your digital outputs--DVS, CD, flash-drive, and ipod, and switch from all of these fairly simpely and easily
http://www.numark.com/images/sized/images/product_large/mixdeck_front_angle_large-624x390.jpg

DJ Headkick
01-13-2013, 10:48 PM
I used to play with just CDJs (the USB functionality on my 400s is also super-convenient) until I started getting into old-school hardcore; now I'm rocking CDJ for new-school, vinyl for old-school.

DJ Tectonix
04-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Midi for life

C Tuck
05-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I was told i was doing it the hard way. I play MP3's from 2 CD players off a USB port, there is a BPM counter that helps a little, but i've never played off a laptop.

BinnieDJ
10-08-2013, 11:15 PM
CDJ2000s with Software

borrow
10-09-2013, 02:15 AM
I have a VCI-400 + Traktor at home but if there's a gig where they have CDJ2000'S/CDJ2000NXS (So all gigs) i play on them.

DJ-SINGH STYLEZ
10-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I am a strictly Digital Dj

Sedna
10-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I can play whatever, but truthfully nothing beats the mobility and simplicity of DVS. One medium sized bag and I can bring everything I need wherever I go without having to worry about whether or not a club is running shitty and/or broken equipment.

Not to mention you can't beat a laptop when it comes to music organization. I never have to remove a single track from my library, whereas vinyl and CDs have physical constraints.

DJ Straxger
11-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I use vinyl and Serato and stay far away from CDJs. Nothing against them, I actually did some cuts on one before and just didn't like the feel at all.

Rek_Aviles
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
I have a VCI-400 + Traktor at home

Same. I'm really enjoying this controller.

SlvrDragon50
11-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Software but I want to move to CDJ :/ Just too expensive.

Sideburns69
11-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Vinyl only ! As a ska/reggae/soul DJ i prefer old skool media - vinyl IS expensive these days but totally authentic for the venues i DJ for .

DJStickyBoots
12-05-2013, 02:40 PM
I use both CDJ2000's and vinyl …

jz416
12-06-2013, 07:08 AM
USB sticks.

DJ Nada
12-25-2013, 11:22 AM
If I could afford to be a vinyl DJ, I would be. Don't think I could afford to keep current on these $150-250 per night bar gigs.

Deep N Sexy
01-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I spin whatever i choose, i excel in all formats exept vinyl as i started with cds allmost from the beginning, but ive used it on several occasions, so im not unfamiliar to it
Personally i think Multiformat is the way to go and that controllers has noting to gain in a club or big venue, not the audience to say the least.
Dont get me wrong controllers are great for mobile djs or small bars where space are in question and disputed, some places dont want to give the space needed so, simple, you bring your controller.

Im not beeing a reactionary regarding technology, but i feel that djn is much more than just pushing buttons and beeing cool! take Paris Hilton as a great example!
I have put years into my mixing, learn shape sound, making builds (Where there were none in the music) Deejaying is about perfection, to fuse music together, like a welder, that takes years to perfect the seems.

I personally dont trust a robotweld if you look at a true master with a welder, like my father was, the same with a deejay, if you look at some of the greats, still, Roger Sanchez, Armin Van Burren, Louie Vega and more, they do something with the music, not tire out the audience with constand effects, loops, redlineing mixers and mashups or machinegunmixing (short clip mixing)

So yeah i stand by Using tabletopplatforms in clubs!

Deep N Sexy
01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
@ SlvrDragon50

Well you have to do like many of usn other hus did in the beginning, WORK and save up the money, i did it for a whole year to be able to buy my first dj rigg, and when the money dropped in i bought my first Pioneer and Denon benches!

Good luck and HANG IN THERE!

andymunro
02-12-2014, 10:37 PM
DVS 90% of the time and my vinyl collection gets a few rare plays every now and then. I've played with CDJs for years out and about, I've only ever owned 1x CDJ800, it's not been out of the flightcase for a few years though.

Serato scratch was the best money I've ever spent. I'm liking Serato DJ but not using it much differently to Live yet. I do need to get myself a good midi controller to start using the effects on it properly.

Oh and I dabble with Ableton Live too, not as much as I used to though, used to be addicted to it!

KLH
02-13-2014, 01:48 AM
At home I have a TT & mixer setup and controller (S4) setup. For performances, I use the controller.

Autisma
02-13-2014, 03:49 PM
As a child of the 90's growing up around computers, I currently use an exclusively digital set-up of a home computer, mouse and keyboard but then I'm entirely new to all this (I only started practicing in January) and don't yet have myself a controller or a laptop. I'm planning to get myself a NuMark Mixtrack Pro 2 in April and a MacBook when I go back to university in September where hopefully I'll have sufficient enough skills under my belt to perform for house parties and small crowds.

rich36dutch
05-27-2014, 10:56 PM
I hate it that i'm stuck to native instruments with my denon dn-x1600, i like rane a lot better and the denon sc3900 i haven't tried with midi...still, since i bought a lot of of
vinyl from germany and i'd rather scratch with other mixers, analogue, cause of the sound which just is better with an anlogue mixer and i still have to install my desktop, toug i live here allready again for 4 months seady, only i broke my foot, which won't heal.....well the broken part which was v shaped and 1cm at the large site, gave on my paper,
still an angle which wuld be oke.....so the cm had to heal from itself....,but after 2,5months lying on bed , it indeed was healed(cool to see how fast that went), but something ain't right, since i barely can stand on it.,so few scratching, lot of building(subwoofer-amp). But i have ni on my desktop, not laptop and impementing and lpd pas or something ike that, is a pain n the ass, compared to serato, which software i bought cheap withe mixer from disribiteur, just like oyaide cables, analogue and digital, which i sell again....here no difference.
I like de dvs records with his nice grooves, especially with the vestax, which eat you vinyl quite fast, that's why i'm at the moment, installing a longer tonearm from carbon, costs nohing, besides the wire, to see which result it gives. I've tried an s tonarm, didn't work, but digital you can't skip ,i only wanna use th keyboard functions, and a couple
on th denon x-1600, just some major functions, which you can remember, not a three-layer, where evry botton has a function.Then it's fun to do, bt first of all(fast) digitizing the bought records wit my rega hifi turntable (no,no....not a 5000euro one) and my audio interfaces has a phon input, which is easy. By the the ay, when it comes to records, th differnce between the quality of new records is really huge. wu-tang,new,is superpoor. Scratchy seals are allways ok, though i get the idea of bying the same record everytime. And i have to agree, that it amaze me that the sc-3900 ain't able to atleast take dvd. I mean..blue-ray 128gig.... but the gear is and stays the best for scratching, if you ain't got the space for tt's. The price is a give away.... But midi is also ancient, like mp3 and a cd can sound great, but that takes more then a cdj or sc-2900... those ae prices starting from 2000euro's and those contain a whole lot more that a hifi all in one set...... But on a cdj or so, it sounds....well enough for a dj,
too bad to listen to., but take a look from the inside.....:)

FreshPerspective
06-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Akai APC40 in Traktor with my own MIDI mapping. Sometimes ill use an Elektrix Tweaker for effects.

SplishDJ
06-09-2014, 07:07 AM
At home, it's strictly real vinyl and digital timecode as part of my DVS (Traktor)...out at the clubs it depends on the set up. A mixture of vinyl and mp3s on a USB (CDJ) if I can, otherwise it's just CDs when playing out.

Sideburns69
08-12-2014, 02:44 AM
Vinyl only - as i primarily DJ reggae and ska music the best, and most authentic sound is from vinyl ! I have tried from my laptop and i don't like it :( call me old , old skool ha ha

SilverSurfer
11-18-2014, 12:26 AM
I love the feel and the art of spinning vinyl, but I appreciate DJ's that use modern technology. I am open to try new things and know that to get on in the modern era I will have to learn to use alternative technology, but for now I'll keep vinyl alive!!

https://soundcloud.com/groove_party

KLH
11-18-2014, 08:41 AM
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f17/1271789d1383585511-do-you-trust-analog-watches-clocks-kitten-killer-thread.jpg

H-A
11-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Strictly CD's. I used to mix only vinyl, later shifted to Traktor only. Now I have a Rodec MX180 and two Pioneer CDJ's. Okay, it's pretty expensive but it's real DJing and the producers get payed for their effort.

Traktor (or Serrato etc) is great technology, but I prefer to beat match by monitoring. It's not only matching the beat but also sense better how tracks go together. Imo every pro should know how to beat match by monitoring. It's sad to see how many DJ's running software make technical mistakes because basically they don't know how to beat match.

djcyry
11-24-2014, 01:33 AM
DVS or Software :lol:

MrMoonPie
08-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Digital exclusively

Rek_Aviles
08-02-2015, 12:56 AM
DVS or Software :lol:

:shrug:

Digital Vinyl system = dvs

software = strictly software, no vinyl/turntables

navydiver
08-02-2015, 01:38 AM
VDJ 8 and hard drives only plus an android as tertiary backup - I said DVS or Software which is really not a great option as the DVS and Softare should be separate poll items given the large cut so far showing in this poll....
I am gathering I fall more on the software side as I do not fake scratch on DVS....

mitchiemasha
08-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Slowly sold all my vinyl to pay the rent when first starting up, worked a treat. Many years on CD, followed by a year or 2 CD and laptop. Took a while to be fully comfortable with it. Laptop with mixer only now.

There is no way I could do what I do now with vinyl or CD. When we get busy there's just as much socialising in the booth as outside it. The bar relies on this atmosphere to work. It would be a complete disaster if I was using vinyl still.

The only thing I miss about vinyl is the clicking sound of the start/stop button Technics 1210.

fueledbymusic
08-04-2015, 12:57 AM
Still using CDs. I'll never go back to vinyl. Way too inconvenient. I use CDs when I don't want to use the laptop. CD players I have make a great back up, if laptop is unavailable. Plus playing CDs are more fun for me than laptop

Kawser
11-10-2015, 01:07 AM
I don't have any. I want to buy in few days but I have no idea that what company is best. can anyone tell me?

Alex Murphy
11-10-2015, 08:37 AM
I don't have any. I want to buy in few days but I have no idea that what company is best. can anyone tell me?

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2721-The-Official-DJF-Beginners-MEGA-Thread!

not sure if you're after equipment, music, or tinned carrots. Would recommend to buy the most expensive you come across, but then I don't know your budget either.

Kawser
11-12-2015, 03:12 AM
I don't have any problem about budget. I can spend more money but I want best.

andymunro
11-12-2015, 07:00 AM
I don't have any problem about budget. I can spend more money but I want best.

To do what though? WHat do you want out of this investment? How much time are you willing to invest in this hobby? Is $7,000 for a set up acceptable to you?

This kind of backs up my rant on another thread. People just want to be a DJ overnight. Prove me wrong Kawser.

jacobcoite
11-16-2015, 04:57 PM
i think in prepective of being a dj, it doesn't really matter cost, i actually buy all my dj equpiment from https://www.kpodj.com. i actually just bought a l3200 mixer from them and it was only 625 which is the cheapest ive seen while still giving professional grade products, so thats my take at least.

iceman11
01-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Never got the chance to play with vinyl all my life haha.. So digital (CDs or software) all the way!

sacsmitty
01-14-2016, 12:07 PM
When mobile, Numark NS7II w/ Serato.
In my studio, (2) 1200 M3D's, DJM-S9 w/ Serato.

adamt4507
12-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Started on vinyl and returning to mixing after a spell away. Only this time it's via CD's. So I've invested in a set of CDJ's with the vinyl style turntable platter to hopefully give me that nostalgic feel.

I still can't see the point in digital (and by that I mean playing tunes via laptop with software.) As was said earlier vinyl separates the men from the boys. Those early mornings scouring the record shops for any new releases. Then having to rely on touch and your hearing to beat match tune to tune. "BUT DIGITAL IS SO MUCH EASIER" I hear you scream. True, but that's the point. You don't become a craftsman by taking the easy route do you.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

trickrick
01-12-2017, 10:11 AM
I use Serato DJ when I do private gigs such as weddings and christmas parties since the genre asked ranges from pop to rap to rock and I like to see waveforms to be sure to mix these tracks well together. Other than that, for clubs I would go USB directly into the CDJs without a laptop.

ZSquared
01-13-2017, 02:38 PM
It's pretty evident that DVS/Software is taking over the industry due to ease of compatibility and functionality. I'm ok with it, mostly because I'm not an "old school" dj, but I of course respect the djs who can still throw down on Vinyl.

Lusky
05-06-2017, 02:43 PM
I respect every DJ that still plays Vinyl or start with playing Vinyl!

Spheric El
08-05-2017, 02:51 AM
Vinyl & CDs.
I'm in the smallest group .wow I'm so last century.

Duluxx
05-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Still have quite a few records but haven’t touched them in years. Timecode vinyl is my primary choice for mixing. Going to get some cdj2000nxs2 soon and hope to try out the hid mode. My setup is 2 technic 1200mk2 with no zero lock on the pitch adjustment, djm-t1(going to update to the djm900nxs2). I had the denon sc3900’s but sold them.

apolloapollo
06-19-2019, 04:23 PM
One day I'll start learning vinyl. But until that day Rekordbox for me.

xj99
08-26-2019, 08:13 PM
Virtual DJ For regular gigs Pioneer SB3
PCDJ for karaoke (I like it) Computer with Yamaha MG10XU
2 turntables, and a mic for vinyl nights. (no mixing/scratching) Pioneer DJM-250MK2

Rogue
01-28-2020, 03:26 AM
Imma hardcore traktor s8 lover because this thing is literally ALL IN ONE, it can do everything!
gonna also start producing my own stuff soon so this controller can be used for ableton
also there are no jog wheels that use lot of space and are complitely useless for me because i really dislike scratching
also it has really good stem system that is exclusive for traktor, many people have no idea what stem decks are so here is video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grgjIhs-OC8

soo i see no reason why i should use something else, im gonna die playing on S8 i promise!

alazydj
02-03-2020, 05:28 PM
I've transitioned to the Prime 4 from a pioneer sx2 for mobile. GREAT product, CRAP software. It's not a deal breaker for mobile, since it has been improving. I do think that being all in one looks better for clients, and it's one less thing to break/get stolen/etc. I'll be grabbing a prime go for backup too! Even if the power is out you just need a battery powered speaker and you're golden!

still rockin' a rane 62 w/dvs (phase now because my stanton str8 150 tonearms are oxidize af) and prefer to spin on motorized platters

tizdaz
02-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Just got back into it after a good few years break!

First & Foremost im a vinyl junky, although my new setup does include DVS & i will be using that now & then :D but no where near as much as vinyl \o/

_skyline_
08-27-2020, 01:20 PM
Started with an old computer and Atomix (two soundcards) and a cheap mixer. Then changed to cd's, vinyl and Traktor. Now i'm using it all.

Heliotropic27
08-28-2020, 12:44 PM
Recently bought some turntables and was planning on going vinyl-only but I have been experimenting with Serato control vinyl and the Serato software itself. As long as it's fun I'm all for it, but I think it's vinyl that will keep me interested in the hobby.

vyvafc
09-07-2020, 05:38 AM
can i ask what setup you're using for both DVS and vinyl? cheers

Heliotropic27
09-08-2020, 10:27 PM
can i ask what setup you're using for both DVS and vinyl? cheers

If that question was for me, I am using a pair of Audio Technica AT-LP1240s and a Pioneer DJM-S3.