PDA

View Full Version : Playing a "VS" set

Linguist
04-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Hi all,

I've played and attended many events that feature a "VS" set between two DJs. I don't play hip hop or any scratch style. The events have always been house or tech-house/techno.
From what I've seen, it's not a battle like it is in a scratch battle. They play together, they swap, etc. Is that what it is? You play songs together and 'jam' like a band in a jam space?

andymunro
06-09-2014, 02:49 PM
That called DJing "back to back" where I'm from.

Buszaj
06-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Pretty much. The DJs will take turns playing tracks. Sometimes they go one for one, sometimes two for two. It only works when you have DJs whose styles complement each other.

It's something fun for the DJs to do together as friends, and for the patrons to get like a 2 in 1 kind of deal.

Kepik
06-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Basically what ^ said. Take turns playing tracks. what's cool is if each of you have your own setup and it all runs into a master mixer. you can layer sounds over each other.

djpenguin
06-10-2014, 05:33 PM
It's actually pretty simple to explain, but difficult to do. Although this type of set is listed as "DJ One vs. DJ Two" on a flyer, I've always heard it called a 2x4 set, because it involves two DJs on four decks.

First, you need a pair of DJs who know each other well and have complimentary musical tastes. This is the part that many people screw up. Every good 2x4 set I've played has been with a DJ who I was good friends with for at least several years. There's almost no time for verbal communication during a 2x4 set, so you have to be able to work together well without much chatter.

Second, you need the right gear. The best way to do it is give each DJ their own pair of decks (or controller), then run both sets through a master DJ mixer placed between the two DJs. This allows both DJs to mix cleanly into and out of each other's tracks, and also allows for some fun fader tricks.

Third, you have to play the set. Both DJs get together and decide how many tracks each will play before handing off to the other. I've always done two-for-two during a 2x4 set, but three-for-three can work as long as the tracks are shorter. Going one-for-one is almost always a bad idea, as it's tough to get a good energy flow going, and it detracts from layering opportunities. During the set, when it's your turn to play two tracks, you focus on flowing cleanly out of the other DJ's track and going somewhere that they can build on when it's their turn again. When it's the other DJ's turn to play two, you focus on getting your next tracks ready, and finding places to layer little bits of sound over the top of what the other DJ is playing. This can be snippets of a track you're planning to play later (a taste of what's to come, so to speak), snippets of something that was played earlier in the set (a reprise), or DJ tools, vocal samples, etc. Be sure to be complementary when layering; don't overpower the other DJ volume-wise or frequency content-wise.

DRIFTBASE
06-11-2014, 03:10 PM
B2B sets are often low tempo (lots of intro-outro) because the second DJ has to decide very fast which track he will play. Imo it's for the advanced DJ's who can anticipate quickly or who knows the other DJ well enough to know which style he plays. You could call it a battle to see who plays the best next track, but often DJ's don't see it that way, it's more like a friendly thing.

If you are going to do this, just remember it has to be working for the crowd and not just for you.

dlove
06-12-2014, 04:03 AM
I'd say what you're describing is back to back; a battle is where the soundsystem or selectors actually battle to win, with the crowd's cheers, using name-drops from famous singers, dubplates/special edits of the hottest tracks, ect.

kaly11
06-12-2014, 07:05 AM
usually just back to back where im from

GraemeSmith
01-18-2015, 05:25 PM
This is just a back to back set, both taking it in turn to play a track or couple of tracks each, can be fun when playing alongside someone with a style similar to yourself.

akswun
01-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Love doing this. Instrumentals and Acapellas galore. I feel it works well with hiphop & R&B. I can see work for dance as well but its def. a skill to find tracks and work in sync with your partnering dj.

Ocie
01-19-2015, 12:10 PM
I've done B2B sets with two other DJs - all three of us with our own set of 1200s and mixer live at the same time. Kinda had to wing it. We controlled the music the entire night. Fun times.

The Blackest
01-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Tag set. Done it tons of times. Its good to know what the other dj is going to play before hand. At least what sub genre.

Chaz PsyKoticz
02-21-2015, 08:38 AM
I'd say what you're describing is back to back; a battle is where the soundsystem or selectors actually battle to win, with the crowd's cheers, using name-drops from famous singers, dubplates/special edits of the hottest tracks, ect.

Wish there were more battle sets, every time I go or see it on a flyer it ends up just being a tag set....and everybody apparently wins.

dlove
02-22-2015, 04:55 AM
Wish there were more battle sets, every time I go or see it on a flyer it ends up just being a tag set....and everybody apparently wins.

And you're in Brooklyn, NYC?!?

Chaz PsyKoticz
02-23-2015, 03:26 AM
And you're in Brooklyn, NYC?!?

Yea I'm in Brooklyn, NYC.

dlove
03-04-2015, 02:58 AM
Yea I'm in Brooklyn, NYC.

have you checked Deadly Dragon Soundsystem, or Subatomic? Also, thinking Large Up would have word on battle shows. I believe jungle is having a bit of a moment again in America as well, so I can't believe there are no battles in NYC!

The Blackest
03-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Its because Jungle isn't big enough. I mean we've thrown a few sound clashes in DC, but I don't think crews are doing anything up in NYC.

ksound
03-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Tag set. Done it tons of times. Its good to know what the other dj is going to play before hand. At least what sub genre.

When I started going out again kept seeing B2B on flyers, thought it was a production company LOL
But yeah, always called it a tag set

I prefer to do tag sets, if it were up to me every thing I run would be tag all night events, so much more fun

The Blackest
03-04-2015, 03:18 PM
I like playing out regardless if its a tag set or just by myself. I will say that if I have a lot of tag sets in a month, I like to play just one by myself.

DJturntables
03-14-2015, 01:51 PM
its good to play a theme with your back to back partner, and agree on some special mixes before hand too.