PDA

View Full Version : MTX PA Speakers times 8 for $800 in trade

entheos406
03-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Another DJ wants to get rid of his passive gear. He has been good to me in the past and I sub for him. He asked the guy that sold him the gear 10 or 15 years ago what it was worth and he told him $800 for 4 subs and 4 tops would be good. He said he never had to replace a driver in the subs but the tops all have upgraded drivers. Assuming you want to keep your stuff passive and have some extra speakers in case you need to do a larger gig is this a decent deal? The newer MTX stuff blows but this guy insists if I hook up all 8 and place them right I can shake a gymnasium down. Assuming everything tests out right I think subbing two gigs for 8 speakers is a fair deal. What say you?

djscrizzle
03-17-2012, 01:53 AM
8 of anything MTX won't match the output and sound of higher quality professional audio gear. For that $800, you can get way better gear in the used gear market.

carblekin
03-17-2012, 11:04 AM
What he is offering doesn't sound terrible, but there are definitely way better options. If he is giving you the option of either $800 for 2 gigs, or speakers for 2 gigs, I'd take the $800. If he is only offering the speakers for 2 gigs, and you don't have speakers now, it may be a good way to start. I started with 4 MTX speakers, used them for a summer so I could save some money, then replaced them with a pair of Mackie TH-15A speakers, which sound way better and are way louder. You can get a pair for 5-600 bucks

Al Poulin
03-17-2012, 01:52 PM
What he is offering doesn't sound terrible, but there are definitely way better options. If he is giving you the option of either $800 for 2 gigs, or speakers for 2 gigs, I'd take the $800. If he is only offering the speakers for 2 gigs, and you don't have speakers now, it may be a good way to start. I started with 4 MTX speakers, used them for a summer so I could save some money, then replaced them with a pair of Mackie TH-15A speakers, which sound way better and are way louder. You can get a pair for 5-600 bucks

Just the fact that the Thumps are actually way louder than the MTX tells you how really weak/innefecient the MTX speakers really are (as the Thumps are known to be some of the weaker powered speakers out there SPL wise - although they do sound good). If you get the 800$, my favorite entry-level powered speakers are these :

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=362&cat=58&type=29

You can find them for about 850$ a pair here in Canada. They sound very good and have a REAL 200 watts of power with a well balanced overall sound, enough low frequency response to handle smaller wedding type events without subs, have a flexible mixer section with built-in 3 band EQ AND come with a 2 year NO FAULT warranty that covers everything. Excellent bang for the buck... I have had my pair for almost 5 years and have had no issues at all.

Al

DJRockinRob
03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a pair of these speakers and there pretty good for what they do. Perfect for pool parties.

God Bless!