View Full Version : video battle

ksound
04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
20 minutes
any style
any format
myself, and two more slots
obviously no edits but you can run over and just pick the best 20 minutes

Once slots are filled, you'll have 2 weeks to make a vid and upload it to youtube
just send the battle mod your video link instead of the dropbox link

Eta: just video record your set, battle has nothing to do with ability to edit video clips

Rad
04-12-2014, 03:10 AM
How should this be judged?
As a dj mix (audio), which just happens to have a video showing how it's done, or does the video quality and presentation matter too ?

ksound
04-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Up to the judges, there was a thread about this so figured try it out as an experiment

Sigma
04-12-2014, 11:14 AM
I think you have to differentiate between a regular DJ performance that happens to be filmed on video, and a video battle where the actual editing and creativity involved in the video's production are part of what people are judging, and that can easily be done in the battle criteria.

Rad
04-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I read the other thread.
I might be interested if the video is just support to judge the actual (audio) mixing.
Not if video quality, editing, presentation etc. is also being judged.

ksound
04-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Yeah my audio isn't that great and I'm using microsoft movie maker just to split the ends off, so yeah nothing fancy

Rad
04-14-2014, 01:25 AM
I am still not sure what your answer to my question is, or did you mean "my video isn't that great" ...

TheRabbitMonk
04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
i might be down for this. I need to buy some tunes this week, so i'll get back to you tomorrow when im off work.

This is a just a battle with a video right?.

It should be judges on the audio mainly in less the DJ wears a silly mouse head and prances around like a nob. For me they should be marked down for that shit.

ksound
04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Same judging requirements as usual (skill vs selection)

TheRabbitMonk
04-17-2014, 10:14 AM
I'll be down, should knock the time down to 15 mins though. get more views and feedback that way.

ksound
04-18-2014, 06:32 AM
Rad you still down?
15-20 minutes

Deadline may 5th (too much time?)

TheRabbitMonk
04-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Should be ample time.

Maxey
04-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Is there a slot still open for this?
I would be happy to film a quick mix this weekend.
Ive only just joined this site so I apologise if I have missed anything or screw up somewhere.

Rad
04-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Oops, only seeing your post (are you still down) now.

Yes, I'm still interested.

Maxey
04-24-2014, 12:32 AM
No probs, Ill sit out.

Rad
04-25-2014, 04:04 AM
Do we all agree that this battle is not supposed to be anonymous ?

ksound
04-25-2014, 09:26 AM
My youtube name is the same as my forum name and I've already posted a video, so it wouldn't take too much detective work to find out who's is who's

TheRabbitMonk
04-25-2014, 10:06 AM
yea i think most people will be able to work out it's me, there a picture of me on my soundcloud.
Still I don't think it will effect the way people judge it.

Rad
04-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Uploaded my video, have not submitted the link yet.
Unfortunately I will not have time to rerecord the video, because I'm not very happy with my entry. Still the feedback could be very helpful to me.

Posting this to highlight a few potential problems with youtube battles though:
- I'm getting the "blocked in certain countries" message, in this case it's (in dutch): "Frankrijk, Frans-Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Roemenië, Réunion, Saint Barthélemy, Sint-Maarten" where my video is blocked.

- Youtube mentions audio and video might be out of sync when uploading. The video file I uploaded is straight out of the camera (I've got a camera with an audio input from the mixer), at first sight it is indeed a bit out of sync (audio a bit ahead), I'm not going to try and correct this because a) it's not out of sync on my computer, and b) I do not have time, upload took three hours, at work now, and will not be at home until past the deadline.

So what to do when people cannot view the videos ? Send them a lower video quality version through wetransfer or something ?

Rad
04-29-2014, 11:54 AM
submitted the link....
could the mods please confirm ?

I will have very limited internet access the coming week, so please excuse me if I don't react.
Will be back to normal on the 7th.

JonAvalon
04-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Rad is confirmed

ksound
05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Might be a lil late or a lil over the time

Did 3 mini sets last night and uploaded them, planned on giving them a listen today, but the uploads failed (tried a diff format cuz I can't get them to play on mobile)

Working 13hrs today then doing a gig, then another 13hrs tomorrow, so not going to be able to listen, edit, and upload on monday, think the best one I did was 22min so I'll probably upload that unheard and without trimming off the few minutes I went over as a back up plan

Still gonna try to listen to them and get something under 20min, but it'll be uploading when I'm sleeping and won't be able to post the link till tuesday at 6am eastern (which might still be monday somewhere in the world)

TheRabbitMonk
05-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Same i will be able to submit something i think on the 8th May.

Been kind of busy over the last few weeks, started planning it last week but not had time to record it.

ksound
05-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Cool, but I wouldn't want to go over the 8th it'd be disrespectful to rad who was on time

But I would like to make sure my submission plays on mobile to not alienate any voters and I'd like to go through the footage of the set I'm doing tonight (do better in front of a crowd)

It's hard for me to get inspired playing at my house, I'm always so stiff
Had planned on using the set I played out with last week but it was way too minimal to battle with :)

Sorry for the delay rad

TheRabbitMonk
05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
its all good with me if you's want to go 1v1.

ksound
05-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Nah we can wait, if you still want to be in it, few days isn't gonna hurt

TheRabbitMonk
05-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Ok worked today and tomorrow. Off work Tuesday n Wednesday, so it will defo get done.

TheRabbitMonk
05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Will posting shortly.

JonAvalon
05-07-2014, 06:55 PM
rabbitmonk is ready, ksound you're still in this correct?

ksound
05-08-2014, 10:00 AM
yup, just sent pm

(but I didn't nail a single friggen mix, lol) oh well, it was the best I had

and sorry about the watermark, tried to get another demo but it didn't work out

JonAvalon
05-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Posting battle soon

Edit: Posted
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?39721-ksound-vs-TheRabbitMonk-vs-Rad-Video-Battle