cheforee
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
hello all whats the best setting for volume

do i have it cranked on my mixer and low on my amps and crossovers

do i have it cranked on my amps and crossovers and low on my mixer

looking for the best way to get the best sound

akswun
03-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Set your amp to a quarter. Make sure your upfaders on your mixers are at the top/max. Make sure the trim on your EQ's are at halfway(ie.low,mid,hi & trim). Gradually increase the main volume on your mixer until its as loud as you will possibly play it in the environment you are in. Make sure the volume readout on your lines are not in the Red(adjust trim). If the sound his too loud or too quiet you can adjust the volume on the amp but after that DO NOT adjust the AMP again. This avoids screwing up your speakers.
when spinning
-make sure you don't get into the red on the readout on your mixer, you will notice distortion or not, but red is bad!

Sorry if my terms aren't accurate but hopefully you get the idea

cheforee
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
no this was great very helpful thank you

windspeed36
03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Dj mixer whatever > live sound mixer 0dB (have other equipment/ sources going to to this mixer the levels may change)> crossover 0dB > amps full power/ active speakers 0dB (if you

DeadPhr0g
03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
If you see red, you're doing it wrong.

de.j.l
03-18-2012, 01:52 AM
yellow yellow yellow.. never red, and I set my equip right at that perfect level where green hits yellow to get a nice sound... as for parties being thrown i would always rather have more stereo with less usage out of it than less stereo and you're pounding the hell out of it, it ruins your sound quality and I personally do not get a good vibe from a cranked crappy stereo. If you can get an amp with a limiter on it, do it.. some mixers have limiters but its not very common.

windspeed36
03-18-2012, 04:35 AM
If your seeing red or yellow/amber lights it means your pushing your equipment too hard and don't have enough rig for the gig

Manu
03-18-2012, 04:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xp5L9wkZRY

DJ Matt
03-18-2012, 07:37 AM
hello all whats the best setting for volume

do i have it cranked on my mixer and low on my amps and crossovers

do i have it cranked on my amps and crossovers and low on my mixer

looking for the best way to get the best sound

far as i understand it, the professional PA amps are made to be run at full whack

faders on your mixer should be at zero to allow you to maintain a controlled volume level throughout the mix

level on the master output on your mixer is what should be variable

M!TCH
03-18-2012, 10:56 AM
If your seeing red or yellow/amber lights it means your pushing your equipment too hard and don't have enough rig for the gig

Hmmm, I've always run my channel gains at yellow but never red. And pretty much everyone else I know does the same.

Gjhowe1
03-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Hmmm, I've always run my channel gains at yellow but never red. And pretty much everyone else I know does the same.

Humm i find this interesting. I keep mine in the green and have it peak into yellow during bass notes. I agree with everyone here, everything in the signal chain should be 0db except for the mixer main and channel gains. Correct me if im wrong but 0db should optimum gain for the amps and should result in less signal distortion.

Subprime
03-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Some mixers don't like being run as hot as 0. Certain Allen & Heath desks (proper mixers with a gazillion knobs) are famous for going pop if they are run too hot for any length of time.

Dave Daschofsky
03-23-2012, 04:49 AM
On most pro-audio amps the knob are not volume or gain controls, they are attenuators. Set the amp at full and set the gain on your mixer channels so you're not peaking into the red or just under 0db. then set the master volume on the mixer to the volume level you want. If your master volume is going into the red you need bigger amps/speakers.

windspeed36
03-23-2012, 06:02 AM

It could just be me because of the size of the rigs I bring.... I start at 4Kw continuous and keep going all the way to something like 48Kw continuous....