PDA

View Full Version : Rack mount wireless microphone or not rack mount?

Galager
03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I like the thought of having everything nice and tidy by having as much of my stuff in my rack as possible. However, from what I've read there are a lot of you who don't have rack mountable mics. Why? I am in the market to upgrade my mics and I want to make a good choice.

STLRiverCity
03-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Most wireless receivers of decent quality can be rack mounted. Even the low end Shure mics can be rack mounted even though it doesn't appear so at first. I have two PGX receivers mounted with a special rack shelf from Shure. They mount very securely with screws to the shelf.

If you can afford it I would suggest going up to the Shure PLX or look at Sennheiser mics. Those have removable antennas so you can use a proper combiner/splitter to share one antenna set with multiple receivers. You can also move the antennas to someplace more convenient or where they will get better reception.

windspeed36
03-16-2012, 08:06 PM
What's your budget for wireless mics? The places you normally gig - are there normally other events in the building or other units using wireless devices?

Ampedproductions
03-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Line 6 xdv-70 is hands down my fave wireless mic. Rack mountable too

Robdogg
03-17-2012, 07:55 PM
X2 for the line6 best system I've had .... First time I trusted a wireless as much as a corded mic...

Ampedproductions
03-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I have the x2 as well. Love it! The xdv-70 is a step up.

I own 4 line 6 wireless systems and couldn't have been happier. They were better then more expensive models from other top brands (shure ulx, at, ect.)

Robdogg
03-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I ment times 2 for your comment I have the xd70 as well hahaha

Ampedproductions
03-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh lol I have the older xdr x2 series and the new ones. Both great! Haha

Robdogg
03-17-2012, 09:42 PM
how many mic's are you running at a time with the xd70? I've got the lav and a handset but haven't went crazy with anything else yet...

Ampedproductions
03-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Just 2. I also have 2 guitar wireless that have been run for a total of 4. I have used them for running a remote speaker but shhh... That's a secret.

windspeed36
03-17-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of the Shure stuff? I personally use the UHF-R system and the UC system. I am curious as to the new ULX-D and the quality of that. For a decent cheap solution i'd have a look at either Shure's SLX or PGX-Digital series. Just depends on local traffic in the area.

DJRockinRob
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Honestly I just use wired mics. IMO there is no need for wireless mics in the DJ world. If people want to make toasts they can come up to my booth.

God Bless

Ampedproductions
03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
disagree !00%

windspeed36
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Honestly I just use wired mics. IMO there is no need for wireless mics in the DJ world. If people want to make toasts they can come up to my booth.

God Bless

You sir, have just cost yourself clients

DJRoladecks
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM

God Bless
Not to be rude but you remind me of a poster that used to be a regular here whos name started with a "D"

"Have a Nice Day!"

If you aren't the same, you may have some relatives down under. ;)

RodneyL
03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Not to be rude but you remind me of a poster that used to be a regular here whos name started with a "D"

"Have a Nice Day!"

If you aren't the same, you may have some relatives down under. ;)

Don't say his name or you will conjur him up like beetlejuice.

Robdogg
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Wireless rack mounted is awesome I through some batteries in turn on the power conditioner and I'm good to go... Pass the mic and it's done... I've gone to a lavalier mic for my mc's and officiant and podium mount my handset and I'll never look back at the days of cords...

STLRiverCity
03-20-2012, 08:21 PM

God Bless

That makes the photographer and videographer work so much harder. The pictures and video turn out so much better when the toaster can stand near the bride and groom. Not to mention it makes it much more emotional for everyone.

I agree that this will cost you clients and make photos and videographers hate you, which costs you jobs.

I know this because I do wedding films and I DJ weddings. I'm speaking as someone with knowledge from both sides of the DJ booth.

Ntertainment
03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Go rack mount so you can leave it hooked up and protect your gear. I personally use the EV re-2 system it's getting older but it still works as good as day one. They are very solid mics.

Badger
03-21-2012, 12:35 PM

This is just another post of yours that makes me believe that you are attempting to engage in troll-like behaviour.

You're entitled to your opinions, of course, but I've noticed a pattern. For instance, in another thread very clearly asking for advice from other DJs regarding subwoofer placement, you chose to offer the following information not once, but twice:

I don't even use subs. That's how I eliminated that problem

Subs are useless in my opinion. So for me they are a big problem I elimated a long time ago. :lol:

Posting a response to a thread for advice regarding the setup of particular equipment (such as subwoofers or wireless mics), simply to state that you don't use that type of equipment, doesn't do anything to assist the people wanting help. In fact, if you're not interested in subwoofers or wireless mics, and you don't see any value in them, then I don't see why you would open a thread regarding those pieces of equipment in the first place.

If I were to go into the Off-Topic area and find a thread about the best way to prepare a steak, I wouldn't feel the need to open up the thread and take the time to enter a response stating that I was a vegetarian and didn't have any use for steak.

Know what I mean?

:badger:

PS: Back on topic, I use a non-rack-mountable wireless headset for myself in my system, and I'm very happy with it... but if you use a lot of rack mount gear, I can certainly see the value of buying a rack mount microphone setup, and don't have any problems with them.

I sometimes use my wireless mic setup at events other than DJ events (such as when I'm doing spoken-word performances at a local open mic night), so it's a lot easier for me to just carry the mic, receiver, and transmitter around in their original Shure case without having to worry about lugging around any rack-mounted DJ gear. Of course, my situation is a bit more unusual than most DJs when it comes to how my mic is used. :)

DJ Scotch
03-21-2012, 01:27 PM

God Bless

I hope you are not trolling!

DJRockinRob
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Not trolling at all. I see no value in using wireless mics. I will however use wireless mics if I'm doing the ceremony for the bride and groom and its outside where a wired mic just won't cut it but inside a ballroom or something similar there really is not need for wireless mics. Thats my opinion though. And no i have not lost business to lack of wireless mics.

For low end I just use tops and just send the low frequency signals to them. Pretty simple and cheap if you ask me.

Ampedproductions
03-22-2012, 04:36 PM
The best part is you don't even know you are losing business