PDA

View Full Version : wire hiding techniques?

DJEcho
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
so some of you have some nice looking trusses, very buttoned up. I've got a few questions, I'm currently using a I beam truss by "on-stage" not overly happy with it, but it does the job for the budget. I've tried to just keep the wiring on the back side of the truss, using either zip ties or black Gaff tape. I found the Gaff tape works a little better, albeit it takes longer.

I'm curious what techniques you guys are using to hide wires and keep them looking nice. I hate wires anywhere that aren't secured and at least an attempt at looking right. at some point I'm going to get a Triangle truss setup, don't know why it would make any difference, but figured I'd mention it.

also I've been using the ADJ O-Clamps, but despise their plastic soft make and they don't actually grip well at all. wondering what everyone else is using and liking or not liking. I don't like the ultra heavy duty C clamps with a screw that when tightened damages your truss.

also what are you using for facade DMX controlled lighting?

allensmusic
04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
zip ties or velcro ties to hide wires.

sss18734
04-07-2014, 12:00 PM
The best thing you can do is purchase a variety of cord lengths (3', 6', 10') so you minimize excess cable.

Then work your way from the end of the cable run back to the ground. It's much easier to hide cable on the floor than it is up in the air.

If you do have excess cable on the truss, coil excess and attach it to the back of the light with two velcro ties.

Use gaff tape to make tight runs along the truss.

DJzrule
04-07-2014, 12:06 PM
The best thing you can do is purchase a variety of cord lengths (3', 6', 10') so you minimize excess cable.

Then work your way from the end of the cable run back to the ground. It's much easier to hide cable on the floor than it is up in the air.

If you do have excess cable on the truss, coil excess and attach it to the back of the light with two velcro ties.

Use gaff tape to make tight runs along the truss.

Nail on the head. Hide wire behind lights, and velcro to the non-visible (back) side of the truss pipes.

If you're getting 12" truss, might as well get box truss. Lot more versatile, more room for expansion/hiding wires. Also a lot more common and compatible if you need more truss rented.

DJEcho
04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
any recommendations on truss system? I have a huge trailer, so size isn't really an issue. but I don't want to spend 2k on it either.

on top of that still looking for recommendations on the light clamps.

allensmusic
04-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Global aluminum 12" square truss. looks really good, will last a lifetime and hold its resale value.

DJEcho
04-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Global aluminum 12" square truss. looks really good, will last a lifetime and hold its resale value.

best place to get it? best way to get it? I know you can piece meal it over time as well.

allensmusic
04-07-2014, 03:41 PM
best place to get it? best way to get it? I know you can piece meal it over time as well.

I am in the same boat as you. I have some crappy triangular Marathon trussing I am replacing this year. the crank stands and top bracket from marathon will hold up the global truss, not sure what you have.

the very best price for a section of truss at the moment was from IDJnow on ebay. They are getting $319 for an 8 foot section. I plan to order some in a couple weeks, so if anyone knows of a even better deal please speak up!
This price includes free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161225663355?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

DJEcho
04-07-2014, 03:49 PM

try having guitar center beat that price. I got some smoking deals on a bunch of stuff 2 weeks ago.

robare99
04-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I use the Chauvet CLP-10 for my smaller lights, Fab5's, Mini Kintas, Jellydomes, and CLP-15's for all my moving heads.

DJEcho
04-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I use the Chauvet CLP-10 for my smaller lights, Fab5's, Mini Kintas, Jellydomes, and CLP-15's for all my moving heads.Robare those are almost exactly identical to what the ADJ ones are, and how anyone could put their supposed 75 lbs on one of them is craziness. does no one make decent aluminum or stainless ones?

BillESC
04-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Besides Global and Trusst, I sell ProX truss which mates perfectly with the other two. Our pricing is quite a bit less. Feel free to email me for a PDF price sheet.

robare99
04-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Robare those are almost exactly identical to what the ADJ ones are, and how anyone could put their supposed 75 lbs on one of them is craziness. does no one make decent aluminum or stainless ones?

The CLP-15's are rated for 660lbs. I use them on my movers so there's no question they will hold.

Look at this on eBay:

LOT 4 CLP-15 Silver Wrap Around Half Coupler CHAUVET (clamp truss light fixture)

http://bit.ly/1lLP1o1

BillESC
04-10-2014, 10:30 AM
I can match that price with Blizzards Klamp N. At only 1.2" in width it fits in places the wider clamps won't and still is rated at 440 pounds.
http://www.blizzardlighting.com/images/stories/Klamp-N.jpg

robare99
04-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Nice! That gives a little more variety in placement.