PDA

View Full Version : How do dj's end their set with that "roulette" like effect?

jbass
04-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Like when there seems to be a looped segment that gradually shortens to where it is a high pitched percussion sound, and then the dj can throw in a filter or pitch change?

I see dj's do this all the time. At first I thought it was just increasing the tempo on a loop, but even when changing the tempo transport to 100% and setting the tempo as high as possible, it does not get fast enough.

I know a lot of people say you just keep halving the loop, however that is very choppy...dj's seem to make the loop GRADUALLY get smaller (using a knob), like the roulette effect in FL studio.

Is there a way to do this in traktor?

TCMuc
04-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Activate the manual loop out adjust and shorten the loop gradually with the jog wheel.

allensmusic
04-02-2014, 02:25 PM
or use dicers and keep moving down the buttons

Sigma
04-02-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm not 100% sure what you mean. You can shorten the loop in Traktor to do this: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/loop.mp3

That seems to be at least part of what you're talking about, but I'm not sure what you mean specifically.

jbass
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm not 100% sure what you mean. You can shorten the loop in Traktor to do this: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/loop.mp3

That seems to be at least part of what you're talking about, but I'm not sure what you mean specifically.

In short, basically just shortening a loop with very very small increments to make it smoother instead of just halving it.

Best example i can give is like a slow clap lol how it starts slow but gradually gets faster

TCMuc
04-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Like I said, you have to manually adjust the loop out point.

On CDJs you can do this by pressing the 'loop out' button when a loop is running, then you can adjust the loop length with the jog wheels.

In Traktor this function should be somewhere in the advanced panel under 'move' -> 'loop out' and then there should be a 'fine' option somewhere...

jbass
04-02-2014, 08:55 PM

On CDJs you can do this by pressing the 'loop out' button when a loop is running, then you can adjust the loop length with the jog wheels.

In Traktor this function should be somewhere in the advanced panel under 'move' -> 'loop out' and then there should be a 'fine' option somewhere...

I'll give it a try when I'm home...don't have my controller at the moment...thanks for the info

TIMMBO
04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Cool demo sigma

And love that choon.
Remember cutting some shapes to that in room 2 at crasher in Sheffield lol

Sigma
04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah man, it's a good tune!

You can do a lot with loops in Traktor, particular when you use sync (shock horror!), because it gives you one hand free to control the loop length.

Here's a somewhat shitty example using that same song: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/blahblah.mp3

So I've got a short section of the song looped with some echo on it and I'm changing the length of the loop from time to time. Underneath that (but not playing through the speakers), is a loop of the main meat of the track, which I bring in at 30 seconds, then I continue messing with the original loop and a filter before tapping the cue button to switch to the first verse of the song.

I could do it better than that, lol, but I just quickly fired my decks up to do that as a quick example. I like using loops/effects for this kind of thing, more than using a loop just to extend a track for the sake of being able to do a regular transition, because you can create your own build ups into the song.

DJ Max
04-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi, im not sure but there is an effect in virtualdj called "roll it"i believe it works as a loop that get short and short 1/2 1/8 1/16 1/32 and son on.. and you control the length of the loop with just a knob.

ampnation
04-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I think the effect he's talking about starts at 3:05 and ends about 3:17 in this version of Party Rock Anthem

http://youtu.be/zIh5AHxh-Ok

TIMMBO
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Yeah man, it's a good tune!

You can do a lot with loops in Traktor, particular when you use sync (shock horror!), because it gives you one hand free to control the loop length.

Here's a somewhat shitty example using that same song: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/blahblah.mp3

So I've got a short section of the song looped with some echo on it and I'm changing the length of the loop from time to time. Underneath that (but not playing through the speakers), is a loop of the main meat of the track, which I bring in at 30 seconds, then I continue messing with the original loop and a filter before tapping the cue button to switch to the first verse of the song.

I could do it better than that, lol, but I just quickly fired my decks up to do that as a quick example. I like using loops/effects for this kind of thing, more than using a loop just to extend a track for the sake of being able to do a regular transition, because you can create your own build ups into the song.

This is the sort of stuff I can't wait to do when I get my new bit of kit.

The biggest decision I have is deciding which controller

I was set on the sx (the sz is just too much cash :( )

But now I've just started to look at the xdj r1 something I has dismissed due to issues that the unit first had , the fact it's only a 2 channel mixer and obviously the most important bit, the look and flashing light value <---------( which the sx wins hands down )

jbass
04-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Ok I figured out how to do this, but my jog wheels do not seem to adjust the loop out size...is there a way i can map this function out for lets say my :move" knob since i barely use the move function? I'm not too good with mapping things out, so if you could like give me a step by step how to assign this "fine loop out" adjustment to the move knob, i would really really appreciate it lol