PDA

View Full Version : Studio Headphones?

Dallas Dudra
03-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Hey all, I am sure this question has been asked a lot, but, what would be your recommendation of some good, comfortable headphones for production? I would like a pair that have great bass, comfortable, isolate sound, and look nice, etc. Also, what would be a good pair of headphones for DJing? Thanks!

- Dallas

ezelkow1
03-26-2014, 03:55 PM
the 2 i own and like, akg-k240, and krk kns-8400. The akg's are open backed, so much better for using for long periods of time since it doesnt put sound pressure on your ears, of course because of this the bass isnt as loud as a closed pair but still hearable. The krks are my closed phones and isolate really well, I also use them for travelling

Dallas Dudra
03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks! I will defiantly check those out. Been looking for awhile and my Beats Solos aren't cutting it! (;

- Dallas

KLH
03-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Nothing is better than the Sony MDR-7506. Even Jesus uses them.

Dallas Dudra
03-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Sweet!

- Dallas

dan_b
03-26-2014, 06:51 PM
ATH-M50's, I'm poor so hestitated when spending as little as £100 on them. But never looked back, real quality stuff. They do leak sound like a mo-fo though, but if your producing in a room on your own that doesn't really matter.

Dallas Dudra
03-26-2014, 06:53 PM
awesome thanks dude. Yeah I'm producing in my room so noise cancellation isn't that big of an issue.. Thanks again

- Dallas

Tkevik
03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
What is your price range? I absolutely love my Sennheiser HD8s.

Very comfortable when being worn for extended periods, great sound, and a solid feel.

Jesus may wear Sony... but this is God's headphone:p

Dallas Dudra
03-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Id be willing to spend around $100 for a good pair that will last a long time and have a good build and are comfortable.

- Dallas

ampnation
03-26-2014, 08:52 PM
On my phone atm so not gonna find the link, but I would check out Dave Rat's videos on youtube. He did a pretty good job running thru different options for FOH headphones with similar requirements. New cans have been introduced since then, however.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

Dallas Dudra
03-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Alright, I'll check it out! There are so many good headphones out there it's hard to choose!

- Dallas

Smoove15
05-12-2014, 07:50 PM
AKG K240 are pretty good, great mids and strong bass, $149 off amazon.

Sennheiser HD 439 have good overall sound quality, but are plasticky and as most senns have (from my experience), questionable bass (until you go high end).

And as someone else said earlier, the Sony MDR-7506 are a great pick.

Dallas Dudra
05-12-2014, 07:52 PM
AKG K240 are pretty good, great mids and strong bass, $149 off amazon.

Sennheiser HD 439 have good overall sound quality, but are plasticky and as most senns have (from my experience), questionable bass (until you go high end).

And as someone else said earlier, the Sony MDR-7506 are a great pick.

Cool, thanks! Still haven't decided on a pair yet.

- Dallas

Mystic
05-17-2014, 06:00 PM
I use all Sennheiser gear in my studio and for personal listening. The Sennheiser HD25-1 II's are fantastic for production.

DJ-Veaux
05-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Has seriously no one suggested the Sennheiser HD-25s? They're like the classic multi-purpose headphone for both DJ's and producers.

DRIFTBASE
05-21-2014, 03:11 AM
If you have the money, Sennheiser HD-25 or Pioneer HDJ-2000.

I have a HDJ-500, works great but is a little big and heavy on your ears. But for 100EUR I'm doing fine.

Just go to a shop, ask for advice, test some and eventually order on internet :uhoh:

disparate
05-21-2014, 08:14 AM
HD-25s generally aren't recommended for production by professional producers/engineers. I use them though, since I have them for DJing and can't really be bothered buying another set.

$100 isn't much, you'd barely get a quality set of DJ headphones for that and definitely not studio monitors, so I'd say it's unrealistic to expect great quality studio phones at that price.

Manu
05-21-2014, 09:24 AM
+1 on AKG, you don't want DJ headphones for that job. I have the K 241s and while the sound is hard and flat, they do the job and are accurate.

dan_b
05-21-2014, 09:54 AM
$100 isn't much, you'd barely get a quality set of DJ headphones for that and definitely not studio monitors, so I'd say it's unrealistic to expect great quality studio phones at that price.

Well that's wrong. ATH M50's are around £100 so they'll not be much more when you convert the price to $$$.

*G*.~DJJerryMoon
05-27-2014, 12:18 AM
I use the AKG K141 MkII and I love me great full sound and bass response only paid 138 so a little higher than ur range but best feature is they're vented so my ears don't hurt after a long writing session really prevents pressure from building my old sennheiser HD250s would hurt my head after a few hours

superdj1
05-30-2014, 12:46 PM
I use Beats Audio studio headphones for production. Excellent noise cancellation and accurate reproduction of sound. Good bass as well. I use it for deejaying as well but I find it bulky at times. I would probably say, it's not perfect for dj for definitely excellent for studio work.

ezelkow1
05-30-2014, 01:17 PM
The beats are far from accurate, especially in the high ranges. Any freq response graph you will find on them shows that after 1k you get major swings in the responses. They also horribly mess with a pure square response. For 1/2 the price of beats studio you can get a pair that is far more accurate and with better sound quality

Manu
05-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Beats are generally useless, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole let alone for production and monitoring. Overpriced hyped up pieces of tat, even my local pawn shop doesn't want to hear about them.

Sigma
05-31-2014, 04:09 PM
I use Beats Audio studio headphones for production. Excellent noise cancellation and accurate reproduction of sound. Good bass as well. I use it for deejaying as well but I find it bulky at times. I would probably say, it's not perfect for dj for definitely excellent for studio work.
For studio work, you really want headphones that have a flat, natural sound.

The problem is really twofold: -

1. If you're used to listening to music through a certain pair of headphones, then that becomes the "norm" for you. If you use Beats a lot, then headphones with a more natural response aren't going to sound bassy enough.

2. The headphones themselves.

If people like the way that Beats sound, that's fine, but with studio work you're not listening to music for pleasure.

The Studio model of the Beats is better than the standard one, but you get a boost of about 7dB around 30Hz (pretty low bass area) that goes down in pretty much a straight line to about the 300Hz region where it hits 0dB, but around 1.8KHz they drop below 0dB, all the way down to about -10dB around the 4.5KHz region. No headphones are going to give a truly flat result on a graph, but much like the regular Beats, the Studios boost the bass and cut the mid-range - just not to the same extreme.

The issue with the above in terms of mixing/mastering is, you might think "my track has too much bass" because the bass is being boosted by the headphones, so you lower it, except anyone that's listening on a quality hi-fi or in better headphones than Beats will then think "this track's kinda weak on bass!".

KLH
05-31-2014, 08:05 PM
^ Sigma speaks the truth. To summarize, he says "get the Sony MDR-7506."

I might be oversimplifying because I had several drinks, but you get the gist.

Sigma
05-31-2014, 09:36 PM
You didn't really need to mention that you'd been drinking. That was obvious when you recommended those Sonys. :P

KLH
06-01-2014, 06:02 AM
LOL. I really shouldn't post when tipsy. I do love those headphones though.

disparate
06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Well that's wrong. ATH M50's are around £100 so they'll not be much more when you convert the price to $$$.

Fair enough I checked and they're $120. Which is around £70 but I do sometimes forget we get ripped off so much in the UK.

superdj1
06-05-2014, 11:42 AM
For studio work, you really want headphones that have a flat, natural sound.

The problem is really twofold: -

1. If you're used to listening to music through a certain pair of headphones, then that becomes the "norm" for you. If you use Beats a lot, then headphones with a more natural response aren't going to sound bassy enough.

2. The headphones themselves.

If people like the way that Beats sound, that's fine, but with studio work you're not listening to music for pleasure.

The Studio model of the Beats is better than the standard one, but you get a boost of about 7dB around 30Hz (pretty low bass area) that goes down in pretty much a straight line to about the 300Hz region where it hits 0dB, but around 1.8KHz they drop below 0dB, all the way down to about -10dB around the 4.5KHz region. No headphones are going to give a truly flat result on a graph, but much like the regular Beats, the Studios boost the bass and cut the mid-range - just not to the same extreme.

The issue with the above in terms of mixing/mastering is, you might think "my track has too much bass" because the bass is being boosted by the headphones, so you lower it, except anyone that's listening on a quality hi-fi or in better headphones than Beats will then think "this track's kinda weak on bass!".

I do agree with you, Beats definitely boost the bass. However, whenever I do my production on my laptop using Beats, the reproduction afterwards does sound close to what I hear on the headphones. I had my reservations about Beats at first but I got it as a gift and I decided to try it out. I personally would not pay that kind of money because I believe I could get something cheaper and get as good or better quality sound.

dan_b
06-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Fair enough I checked and they're $120. Which is around £70 but I do sometimes forget we get ripped off so much in the UK.

£70?? I feel I've been ripped off by £30 now. Thought I had a shit hot deal with em as well...

ezelkow1
06-09-2014, 10:07 AM
btw jrrshop is having an akg blow out, with coupon code GROUP you can get a pair of k240's for 66$. Course you can always go higher in price, plus they got akg mics as well

Verace
06-22-2014, 07:08 PM
believe it or not i like using earbuds. not enough bass on regular over the ear stuff.

klipsch, skullcandy, bose, stymotic, westone, shure.... all have good models

Lunatic_producer
07-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Hello and from me. Sorry for my english....Im Professional producer and composer 14 years now. i have 3 home studios and one professionale studio. i have used many headphones for mixing.....the last year i was buy 4 pairs headphones "SUPERLUX"
Is copy from very expensive headphones. the best models for me is HD 668B

http://www.thomann.de/gr/superlux_hd668_b.htm

and

The Best for me Superlux HD-662
http://www.thomann.de/gr/superlux_hd662.htm

is very clear Sound
Clear and good bass
very good!!

WillRock
07-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I'd like to add Shure SRH940's to the list of good studio headphone options, if you have the cash. :)

Ward33
07-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I use Beyer DT100's for production, on my 4th pair and they last a while. Bargain at 80/90