PDA

View Full Version : Hey Trance Family, please check out my hands-free DJ project

deathsupport
03-20-2014, 02:53 AM
Hi DJF Trance Family, I'd like to share with you a guys a product I've been working on with several friends for our final university project which is all about hands-free (gesture based) digital DJing.
I posted a run-down of the product in the Digital DJing section http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?38213-Using-Leap-Motion-to-Control-DJ-Software-%28Hands-free-DJing%29&p=357804#post357804 but I hope no one objects to me posting it here as well, where I know the community a little better and this post can be on a more personal level.
Some background: I'm finishing up my last term (finally!!! :D) of my undergrad Computer Engineering program at the University of Waterloo (Canada). All 4th year Engineers are required to build a design project that shows good engineering principles and processes. Somehow, my group of friends decided that it'd be cool to repurpose a new device called Leap Motion to act as a DJ controller. The Leap is quite good at detecting finger and hand positions and so many parallels can be drawn between what a DJ does on his board and gestures that can be executed in the air.
Without reiterating too much of what I posted in the other thread, our device works as a regular MIDI controller, but we can also send DMX signals to control DMX devices (stage lights, fog machines, etc). So, instead of moving your volume slider up and down, you move five fingers up and down. And, instead of getting a lighting guy to control all the lights for you, you can take control over several DMX addresses and go nuts with light mode.

Here's a short video we put together to show off the device's capabilities. Please note: no trance :( We wanted something that the general public could understand so there are mainstream EDM/trouse songs with overly-obvious transitions. But the point is that the device actually works! I've used it a bit more and it's actually perfectly suitable for "******" DJing where transitions aren't too intense.

If you like the system and think it has potential, please help spread the word whether it's through social media or other forums. We are still a way's away from releasing a final version but any publicity at this stage helps us out quite a bit. Also, I'm open to any and all feedback and questions, whether you post in this thread or the other one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yAbg8nbpR4

Vernski
03-20-2014, 03:09 AM
Wow, that is one hell of a project!!! Is that you working the controls?

There is some great potential for some of those applications. I found some of it a bit confusing, but on the other hand (pardon the pun) I think there is a real use for it in the lighting and effects side of things. A ****** wave of a few fingers and a laser show erupts.

Nice work!! :tup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathsupport
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Yup, I'm the DJ of the group so I'm at the helm :D

I would agree that it may look confusing for those who aren't familiar with it. We set it up so that a little orange box glows around the fader/knob you are currently in control of but you still need to know what you're doing. In some aspects it's like any musical instrument, or even like using a DJ controller for the first time - you need to read the instructions, and practice makes perfect :tup: There was a design symposium yesterday where all students got a chance to show off their projects. We had people coming up and using it but not too many people knew, from a technical perspective, what to do in order to transition.

We will probably make another video in the future that works as a tutorial and focuses on the motions rather than the performance aspect of it. Thanks for watching man!

franksij
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Wow, that is one hell of a project!!!

agreed I can easily see this being implemented across different avenues of nightlife culture great work my friend !