PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3 jogwheel tempo adjust will not stay?

hiddenwolf
03-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Hello everyone, I am a beginner DJ. When I use the jogwheel of the cdj to increase or decrease the tempo while beatmatching, it just resets automatically. i.e. i spin the jogwheel in reverse to decrease the tempo of the song and it slows it down. I release the jogwheel and then the track resets to it's normal speed. What's going on?? I saw a video somewhere else where a guy explained the closer you are to having both tracks in beat properly, the longer it will take to reset to normal speed when you spin the jog wheel. But if both beats of the track are not in sync, it will revert to normal quickly. However I see no information anywhere else about this. Because my initial impression was that when you spin the jog wheel, the change would stick. Is this how the jogwheel beatmatch tempo adjust supposed to be?

Please note everything else works fine on the CDJ. The tempo adjust slider, etc. My only concern is the jogwheel adjustment tempo slow down/speed up. Please help clarify this for me.

Please also note, master tempo is off, and temp reset option are also off.

Finnish_Fox
03-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood but it sounds like the tracks are not perfectly matched and you need to still adjust pitch (tempo) fader to match. Adjusting the jogwheel doesn't change the tempo permanently, you are just bumping it so that the beats fall in line in case they are a bit off.

Is that it?

hiddenwolf
03-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Um, i think so sir. I'm not entirely sure but i think so. Please forgive me, i'm hella new to everything lol. So from what you said, when you push the jogwheel it just temporarily bumps the beat, but it does not permanently line up the second beat in tune with the first you are trying to line it up with?

David Bowman
03-08-2014, 03:07 AM
jogwheel is for nudging a position in a track up or down, the pitch fader sets the speed. I would suggest to read this:

http://pioneerdj.com/support/files/DRB1397B.pdf

Finnish_Fox
03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Um, i think so sir. I'm not entirely sure but i think so. Please forgive me, i'm hella new to everything lol. So from what you said, when you push the jogwheel it just temporarily bumps the beat, but it does not permanently line up the second beat in tune with the first you are trying to line it up with?

There are two steps:

1) Beat-matching - this is making sure both tracks are playing at the same tempo. You adjust this using the pitch fader.

2) The next step is to start the new song in sync with the song that is currently playing. If you end up starting the new song a bit too early/late, you can use the jogwheel to "slow" the song down so the beats line up.

Think of a real turntable - if you touch the spinning platter, the record slows down while you are touching it but then returns to its set tempo as soon as you stop touching it.

hiddenwolf
03-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Thank you so much guys, i understand properly now. I had it confused the track would auto adjust and stick in sync based on you spinning the platter. You guys have cleared it up and taught me properly. :)