PDA

View Full Version : Producer , bought DJ setup, confused with connecting everything.

AD85
02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and, well, new to forums as a whole! I just tried the search to find the answer to my question but I can't find anything that helped me. Apologies if what I'm about to ask has already been answered and I just haven't been able to find it.

Recently i've been getting a lot of remix production work for bigger and bigger artists, and so it was recommended to be by a few club owners that I should get into the DJ'ing side of the business and try to expand my profile further.

So, I went on eBay and have purchased a pair of CDJ 1000 MK2's and a Behringer DDM 4000 mixer.

There is a problem, i've never had to set up any DJ equipment ever so, as you can imagine, I am lost.

Since I got the stuff off eBay, i'm not even sure if I have the correct wires (or even where to connect them) or if there are some I need to purchase that I don't have right now(?).

I have read through the manuals for both but the CDJ manuals only give instructions for connecting to a DJM-600.

I will talk you through my home studio right now, and i'll include images showing what I own and what I want to use, here goes!

I have an iMac.

A pair of Yamaha HS80M Powered Monitor Speakers.

These monitors are connected (via the red/white leads) into my Tascam US-200 soundcard. (Which is connected via USB to my iMac) (US-200 pictured here)
http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/prod_img/t/tascam_us200a.jpg
http://www.mveducation.com/assets/products/gallery/82844_g3.jpg

I have my Behringer DDM 4000 with just a power cord. (Picture of the back here)
http://www.djkit.com/images/products/DDM4000_rear.jpg

And I have my 2 CDJ 1000 MK2's which came with 2 sets of red/white leads, 2 power cords and 2 control cords.

Is there a vital piece of equipment I am missing or am I going to need a better soundcard etc?

I have been given a copy of Traktor Pro so I would want to be using the equipment I have to control it.

I know this is probably the one of the dumbest questions I can ask, but i'm stuck right now. Anybody who takes out the time to read through all of this and feels they may be able to explain it all to me - you would be a life saver!

Again I apologise if this has already been answered, please point me in the right direction if it already has been!

Thanks very much! :)

Jason Cerna
02-05-2012, 04:16 PM
the cdjs plug into any of the 4 channels[inputs] on the mixer. use the line inputs on the back. you will use the 2 cords with the red and white leads. the 2 control cords will not be used.

mixer to the audio interface: you will need an xlr to 1/4 cable or an rca to 1/4 cable. the 1/4 side of the cable will go into the inputs on the front of the interface.

AD85
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
the cdjs plug into any of the 4 channels[inputs] on the mixer. use the line inputs on the back. you will use the 2 cords with the red and white leads. the 2 control cords will not be used.

mixer to the audio interface: you will need an xlr to 1/4 cable or an rca to 1/4 cable. the 1/4 side of the cable will go into the inputs on the front of the interface.[/QUOTE]

Okay cool, I got the first line, that's all sorted and plugged in now.

The second line,, So I get an xlr to 1/4 cable or an rca to 1/4 cable... they will go into the US-200 and where do they connect to on the DDM 4000?

Boomcie
02-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Plug into the outs. Either the xlr outs, or the rca main outs

AD85
02-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks a lot guys, you're lifesavers!

Thanks for not taking the piss as well, I appreciate your help :)

Manu
02-06-2012, 05:58 AM
sounds like you need 4 RCA cables (2 x for the CDJs, 1 for the main sound out and 1 for recording via your sound card). You don't necessarily need the XLR to RCA (especially in a bedroom). You should plug the mixer directly in your yamahas or you will get some lag, for that you will need to use whatever input is left available. If XLR then you will need a XLR cable instead of RCA, or if you go the RCA way you will need some RCA to 1/4" jack adapters.

Don't try getting the folback through the sound card, I'm pretty sure you'll experience a bit of lag...

Thanks for not taking the piss as well,

Oooooh that may change :P

Hygro
02-06-2012, 06:17 AM
I just tried the search to find the answer to my question but I can't find anything that helped me. Apologies if what I'm about to ask has already been answered and I just haven't been able to find it.
I wonder why :teef:

Manu
02-06-2012, 06:18 AM
^^^ :lol:

ChrisHynds
02-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Are you Skrillex????????????

AD85
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I think i'm gonna enjoy it here :lol:

AD85
02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
sounds like you need 4 RCA cables (2 x for the CDJs, 1 for the main sound out and 1 for recording via your sound card). You don't necessarily need the XLR to RCA (especially in a bedroom). You should plug the mixer directly in your yamahas or you will get some lag, for that you will need to use whatever input is left available. If XLR then you will need a XLR cable instead of RCA, or if you go the RCA way you will need some RCA to 1/4" jack adapters.

So if I'm connecting my mixer straight into my HS80m's, will it be able to be recognised in Traktor? Or do I need another connection? I feel dumb right now! :shrug:

Andrew B
02-06-2012, 06:20 PM
So if I'm connecting my mixer straight into my HS80m's, will it be able to be recognised in Traktor? Or do I need another connection? I feel dumb right now! :shrug:

You won't be able to control Traktor with your setup unless you buy Traktor Scratch Pro or Traktor Scratch Duo. Each comes with a necessary proprietary audio interface.

You can control Traktor via MIDI on your mixer, but at this point I would just use CDs.

AD85
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! Been on it for a solid few hours now and i'm getting the hang of it! Appreciate all your help up to now :) Expect millions of questions!

Manu
02-10-2012, 05:57 AM

nono, the master out sends the sound out only, no data involved