PDA

View Full Version : Creating a DJ Routine?

DJArmani
03-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Is there anyone with experience in creating DJ routines? Something small and creative within 5-8 minutes. I have a few routines but they're more transitions and really long routines (like 5-10). I'm talking red bull three style mixes but done within 5-8 minutes. How can it be done/set up? I've tried to piece on together and it never works out for me. How do you guys start when it comes down to this?

I really enjoy this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhVV-A1MRmQ&list=PL_Xo_P4FL2K63z8SA02lGsIYd9P4Rem78

& this is one of my favorite three style routines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZWKiejCds

DJArmani
03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
anyone?

TheRabbitMonk
03-06-2014, 11:56 AM
The only tip I could give with something like this is to work out what order your going to play your tracks. Once you've worked that out work on your transitions, once you got that down start to experiment diffrent ways to mix in and out.
I'm currently recording a mix which i've now done countless times. it's now at the point where i'm noticing diffrent ways to mix tracks in. Obviously the more flashy the better for something like this.

DJArmani
03-06-2014, 09:12 PM
The only tip I could give with something like this is to work out what order your going to play your tracks. Once you've worked that out work on your transitions, once you got that down start to experiment diffrent ways to mix in and out.
I'm currently recording a mix which i've now done countless times. it's now at the point where i'm noticing diffrent ways to mix tracks in. Obviously the more flashy the better for something like this.

Ok cool thanks. If you finish up the routine your working on I'd love to hear it!

TheRabbitMonk
03-07-2014, 05:37 AM
not really a routine mate. it's more of a mix.

I did a hip hop battle recently, it's some of that mix with some of the tips taken on board and some extra tunes.

if you want to hear it, it's on my soundcloud: Hip-Hop mix.

it's not perfect but not far off. theres a couple of scratches i'm not happy with and possible one mix, also not sure about ending.
i've not put it in mix sub yet because its not perfect and us Dj's can be a little critical, but for the good as well.

DJ Highline
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
One way to do it is to start of with one or two cool ideas. Things that are either really creative or super technical or whatever. Start with that and then build your set around it. Either figure out how to build your set to get to that moment or start it off with that and use it as a building block. For instance, Lets say you wanted to highlight some cue drumming. Well maybe you start of with some basic scratching into beat juggling and then repeat your beat juggle using drum pads and then into pads and scratching.

Another way to approach it is to tell a story. Figure out a story you want to tell and then grab music and arrange it in a way that tells it.

Either way start off with a concept and work from concept into routine.

Here is a performance video I did last year.

http://youtu.be/Q-ognmmfB6U