PDA

View Full Version : Any tips or suggestions on how and when to use DJ Drops

Vernski
03-02-2014, 09:16 AM
IS THERE AN ART OR KNACK TO DROPPING SOME SAMPLES DURING A MIX?

http://media.giphy.com/media/lOxUxX5GmXwuQ/giphy.gif

So as the title reads,

I've recently purchased some Voice over drops featuring a saucy pommy lass. Don't really get into American voices too much and Aussie just sounds to G'day Mate.

Do most of you drop in a quieter part of a track or do you lower the fader a bit if it's raging some. I know that there are no set rules, but I'm interested in what you guys are most comfortable doing.

I've been mucking around with some of the samples and one of the things I'm getting used to is hearing my name in the context of the mix. So I'm not 100% on whether it's enhancing/personalising the mix or it doesn't quite sound right because I feel a bit embarrassed/sheepish. :uhoh:

I'll leave it at that and see how this thread takes shape.

Cheers in advance :)

den1213
03-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Definitely NO drops over vocals. Also, I like my drops to be over music. And too, l like doing drops during a mix while the to tracks are blending; of course not every mix on the mix-tape, but a really good hyped part of the mix. To me, there is no need to lower the volume during a drop. Really there is no science to it, but you definitely have to use them sparingly. Every 5 minutes hearing a drop would be annoying.

LALaw
03-25-2014, 04:58 PM
I absolutely abhor hearing drops on every transition and will absolutely delete those mixes no matter how good they are if that's what they have. Put them over a few of your best transitions so they can't be knackered, but keep it classy

Vernski
03-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Update,

I have been using my drops, I have about 9 different ones depending on the circumstances.

I only use about 3 different ones per mix. I haven't been using them on transitions. Usually during a breakdown and once every 30 minutes. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baller95
03-25-2014, 06:32 PM
You've heard my mixes and all of them have drops. What do you think of them?

Charlie Wilson
03-26-2014, 06:18 AM
For me ive always been a fan of people who uses their dj drops as way of creating something more than just "You are listening to Dj megacake 47 awesome megamix", Adding a whispering voice during a breakdown can keep the energy up, A loop of during the buildup and release just before the beat drops or carefully placing your drops so they go togheter with the vocals, these can all add to the mix instead of just being a dumbed down way of self promotion. Find something creative and think about your timing, key, tempo and energy of your drops and you cant do wrong!

DJ Highline
03-26-2014, 07:38 AM
On My mixtapes, I usually have one at the very beginning and end and then my rule of thumb is one drop every 10 - 15 minutes. I generally like to do it in an instrumental section of the track. I bring the volume down just a little bit to get the drop a little room to breath and not spike the overall levels.

TCMuc
03-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Personally I don't care who the f*ck I'm "in the mix with", so for me less is more and nothing at all is best when it comes to drops.

When I put on a mixtape I already know who made it, and if somebody else put it on I can ask if I want to know who made it. In over 18 years I've spend listening to electronic music and mixtapes, the number of times I thought to myself "man, I wish that mixtapes had some DJ drops on it so I knew who made it, I would definitely book him" is exactly zero.

If the music is good I want to listen to it without getting interrupted by any drops every now and then, if it's bad you would actually help me by putting your drops on it so I knew who's mixtapes to avoid in the future.

Besides that the only legit reason to use drops is to prevent theft. If that's your goal place your drops strategically over a few (!!!) transitions, so they can't be edited out easily..

Windows 95
03-26-2014, 08:16 AM
I absolutely abhor hearing drops on every transitionOne of our local (Pop) radio stations does that with every single transition & over half of the transisitions are back spins. :facepalm:

LALaw
04-07-2014, 05:39 PM
you're in the mix with DJ baller

that's just the cue that a mix is about to go off!

DJ_Apex
05-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Any tips or suggestions on how and when to use DJ Drops

By not using them at all, and never.

Honestly, any time I hear a DJ drop it irritates me. I know who I'm listening to, you don't have to remind me every 15 minutes. It's akin to a track skipping to me in that it removes me from being involved in the mix and reminds me that I'm on the outside looking in.

diceallion
05-24-2014, 04:46 PM
its cause of DJ Clue drops annoy me. saying that, I still don't mind them... For me, a 1 hour mix needs no more than 2.... Intro and halfway point if more then enough... Anything longer, 1ce every 30 to 45 min is enough.

niarta
05-25-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the only reason I'd even think of using one is to prevent my mix from getting hijacked.

mikemikeass
07-26-2014, 01:38 PM
I never use, I believe if the music is good enough people will find out who mix it. The drop is annoying to me.

LALaw
08-06-2014, 11:45 AM
+1 on DJ Clue killing drops for everyone else. I delete mixes with excessive drops - to me, that means more than 3 in a mix.

DJ Highline
08-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I never use, I believe if the music is good enough people will find out who mix it. The drop is annoying to me.

By not using them at all, and never.

Honestly, any time I hear a DJ drop it irritates me. I know who I'm listening to, you don't have to remind me every 15 minutes. It's akin to a track skipping to me in that it removes me from being involved in the mix and reminds me that I'm on the outside looking in.

Personally I don't care who the f*ck I'm "in the mix with", so for me less is more and nothing at all is best when it comes to drops.

When I put on a mixtape I already know who made it, and if somebody else put it on I can ask if I want to know who made it. In over 18 years I've spend listening to electronic music and mixtapes, the number of times I thought to myself "man, I wish that mixtapes had some DJ drops on it so I knew who made it, I would definitely book him" is exactly zero.

If the music is good I want to listen to it without getting interrupted by any drops every now and then, if it's bad you would actually help me by putting your drops on it so I knew who's mixtapes to avoid in the future.

Besides that the only legit reason to use drops is to prevent theft. If that's your goal place your drops strategically over a few (!!!) transitions, so they can't be edited out easily..

All of these sentiments are from a DJ and music lovers perspective. But you also have to look at it from the perspective of somebody that is just a ****** listener. If you hear a great track you might immediately go track it down so you can start using it. Where as the ****** listener might need to hear that same track 3 or 4 times before they decide to track it down. You might know who you are listening to if you go out and search out a mix or put a mixxed CD in your car. But if you just have Mixcloud on in the background as you are cleaning and it just plays stuff it thinks you might like, you might not actually know who you are listening to. Then you go over and check it out. If your mixes aren't tagged you might listen to the same DJ for a couple of hours as you do chores on a Saturday and not even realise it. Finally, it goes back to repetition when it comes to recognition. Everybody has pointed out DJ Clue for killing the drops....but everybody knows who DJ Clue is...hummm. So drops are important I believe for tagging your mixes and promotion, you just have to treat drops like salt on your food. A little salt can be awesome, too much salt will ruin a great meal.

LALaw
08-20-2014, 05:30 PM
If everyone hates DJ Clue, then his name recognition is a a negative thing. I don't believe in the phrase "all publicity is good publicity".

WestonParish
08-21-2014, 10:17 AM
I do a vocal intro to my mixes, and that's it. I dislike mixes that have the DJ talking in between tracks, introducing another track.. it takes the focus and attention away from the actual point of listening to the mix... the mixing.. if all the DJ is doing is yapping in between all the tracks, where is the skill? I definitely can't hear or see it. That's why I do a quick intro at the beginning, let people know where they can get my updates, and let the music do the talking for me.