PDA

View Full Version : Sub Placement

pumpitdj
03-14-2012, 11:28 PM
If i'm only bringing one Sub and two tops to an event , where is the best placement to put my Sub ? I have heard to put it in front of the table but also heard you can also put it to the left or right side of your setup . Your thaughts ?

Djjohnnybertone
03-14-2012, 11:33 PM
i put it dead center of my setup between the 2 tops, and in the center of the floor.

drzinc
03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
It all according to your sense of style vs acoustics. Center placement looks the best but I try as often as possible to put my sub(s) along a wall or in a corner.

Waterbeat
03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
There was a good post on DJF (probably lost) about this. It said a sub should always be within two feet of the wall or more than eight feet from the wall to get the best sound.

Al Poulin
03-15-2012, 07:39 AM
If you want the maximum SPL from your sub, having it shooting into a corner (1-2` away) can dramatically increase its output. Having it close to a wall (or other boundary) also increases output. In some cases, corner or wall loading may cause some boominess BUT it is the best way to get the most sound out of your sub.

Al

Sween
03-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Read the BFM forum advice first: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=398

Each boundary plane located within the first wavelength will give you a major boost.

--So the floor gives you your first boost. If you are on a stage, put your subs on the floor.
--A wall will give you the next better boost.
--Two walls (a corner) will give you an even better boost.
--Make sure if you use two subs they are not out of phase with each other or you will get cancelling.
--Make sure if you use two subs they are coupled close together or stacked for best results.

DJRockinRob
03-15-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't even use subs. That's how I eliminated that problem

DYM
03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't even use subs. That's how I eliminated that problem

It's not a problem, it's a preference. A respectable sub can only help your sound system 99% of the time.

DJRockinRob
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Subs are useless in my opinion. So for me they are a big problem I elimated a long time ago. :lol:

Sween
03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Subs are useless in my opinion. So for me they are a big problem I elimated a long time ago. :lol:

You are entitled to your opinion, but no subs = no low end... and the low end is not useless for most people. I lug in a 140 lb sub even for most of my weddings. I would not bust my ass like that if subs were useless.

And if you feel subs are useless why bother posting in a thread about subs? other than to be a troll...

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Unless you have some great tops with amazing low end subs are definitely necessary. I couldnt imagine not using a sub at a 5-700 person prom.

Sween
03-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Unless you have some great tops with amazing low end subs are definitely necessary. I couldnt imagine not using a sub at a 5-700 person prom.

I could not imagine not using a sub for a 150 person wedding... let alone a prom. 5-700 people should have 2 subs in most cases.

Honestly it pisses me off when I see other DJs who show up to a 200 person wedding without a sub and charge the same rates as I do.

I once went to a wedding in a cavernous marble rotunda with 50 foot ceilings and 200 people and the DJ had (2) Thumps, no sub and the sound was utter shit. Ear piercing highs with no low end. I left 2 hours early with a headache.

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-15-2012, 01:20 PM
I could not imagine not using a sub for a 150 person wedding... let alone a prom. 5-700 people should have 2 subs in most cases.

Honestly it pisses me off when I see other DJs who show up to a 200 person wedding without a sub and charge the same rates as I do.

I once went to a wedding in a cavernous marble rotunda with 50 foot ceilings and 200 people and the DJ had (2) Thumps, no sub and the sound was utter shit. Ear piercing highs with no low end. I left 2 hours early with a headache.

same here. Any wedding with 200+ people I try to convince the couple to upgrade to subs telling them how different the sound will be. Although if I like the couple and they have been easy during the planning process Id just give the subs to them if they dont upgrade because I want the fuller sound. I keep it that way for the more difficult couples, leaving it so they have to pay for the upgrade.

If I were the DJ at that venue Id definitely use 4 tops, placing 2 in the rear of the venue with the subs up front. I dont want to be that guy. I wouldnt want the guests thinking my sound sounded like trash, losing potential clients for 15 minutes of extra work.

Btw, I always use 2 subs. Only because I cant have anything infront of my facade. Plus I like the look... I just keep the volume a lot lower.

Sween
03-15-2012, 01:26 PM
same here. Any wedding with 200+ people I try to convince the couple to upgrade to subs telling them how different the sound will be. Although if I like the couple and they have been easy during the planning process Id just give the subs to them if they dont upgrade because I want the fuller sound. I keep it that way for the more difficult couples, leaving it so they have to pay for the upgrade.

If I were the DJ at that venue Id definitely use 4 tops, placing 2 in the rear of the venue with the subs up front. I dont want to be that guy. I wouldnt want the guests thinking my sound sounded like trash, losing potential clients for 15 minutes of extra work.

Btw, I always use 2 subs. Only because I cant have anything infront of my facade. Plus I like the look... I just keep the volume a lot lower.

I don't even offer a price without subs. I automatically assume I'm bringing at least one. Exception would be a speaking event, wedding ceremony, or very small house party.

I like to put the sub behind the facade sometimes. I went and bought 2 of these http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=103425 and these tables are great. They extend extra high and have no cross-supports so I can fit a LS801p under each one if I want and hide it behind my facade. It works great because they are extra high and I am tall.

Ampedproductions
03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I am with Sween... I dont even give our clients the choice to cheap out and not get what i feel is satisfactory. This is my company out there and we give it our all. Take all things into consideration and give them a price. We never go without at least a single sub. If I feel there event needs LS1004's then thats what they get.

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't even offer a price without subs. I automatically assume I'm bringing at least one. Exception would be a speaking event, wedding ceremony, or very small house party.

I like to put the sub behind the facade sometimes. I went and bought 2 of these http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=103425 and these tables are great. They extend extra high and have no cross-supports so I can fit a LS801p under each one if I want and hide it behind my facade. It works great because they are extra high and I am tall.

Yea... Im refering to a wedding since thats the main source of my gigs now. For sweet 16s I do include it into my price and I plan on doing it for proms as I get price inquires. I have a custom facade by dragon and I project a fireplace on the screen now. 90'' screen on my front facade panel so I cant really block it or put the sub under the table.

Sween
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
You have a fireplace projected on your facade? That's different.

Ampedproductions
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
He said wedding CEREMONY. I am pretty sure Sween takes a sub to ALL wedding Receptions.

Ampedproductions
03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
on topic... For weddings, my sub is always placed where it looks the best. If it can be hidden then even better. Not a huge issue if I dont get max thump.

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Yea. During dinner I use it. After dinner i change it to various slideshows

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
He said wedding CEREMONY. I am pretty sure Sween takes a sub to ALL wedding Receptions.

I'm so sorry buddy if I offended you. Have a nice day

Lol (I have permission to post "have a nice day")

Sween
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Correct. Sub is used when there is dancing.

Agree that for a wedding, sub is best placed where it looks good (or is not seen at all). I like behind the facade that way it is next to the dance floor so you are keeping most of the pounding where it is needed most and not bothering grandma at her table.

Sunday I have a wedding were I'm on a stage, so I'll probably put it on the floor and set my request sheet on top of it with a few cards.

Ampedproductions
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Im not offended sorry if my post came off as harsh.

wilson
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM

I take it you don't do medium/large events.

drzinc
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
I bring subs to all my events. Most weddings get one or 2 small single 18" clustered or under my tops, Wesindian, Latin and East Indian weddings get 2 folded horns, School dances get at least 4 folded horns.

pumpitdj
03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Now if you put the Sub under the table , won't you get feedback from being so close ?

Ampedproductions
03-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Never had a problem but then my microphone isnt going though the subs

Sween
03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I use a low cutoff filter on my mic preamp to help with low frequency feedback.

c-hawk
03-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I take it you don't do medium/large events.

or small

Djjohnnybertone
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
or small

:lol: :lol: :lol: #gotem

drzinc
03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
If you want the maximum SPL from your sub, having it shooting into a corner (1-2` away) can dramatically increase its output. Having it close to a wall (or other boundary) also increases output. In some cases, corner or wall loading may cause some boominess BUT it is the best way to get the most sound out of your sub.

Al

Exactly what i said 2 post ago...

jazzyj
03-15-2012, 09:44 PM
DJRob is a known Troller. <<<igg.

I guess most of my events so far have been small- 50-75 max? Mostly low ceilings, and all Ive been using are 2 15" thumps.

However, had a fashion show with bout 200ish awhile back - rented 2 subs for the occasion. Have a sweet 16 coming up thats probably 50-75ish people But i want it to sound great and they have requested lota of dub/edm so im renting a sub.

I include everything in my price EXCEPT: additional setup for say an outdoor wedding ceremony where the dj is in another location, and for my pianist :)

But extra subs/pas to make it right? I factor in the rental in my quote and dont offer options. Either I go sound good or i dont go.

The info has been helpful tho... never knew where to put the subs.

partyrockers
04-07-2012, 10:05 AM
"90'' screen on my front facade panel so I cant really block it or put the sub under the table."

Fireplace projection....

do you have any pics ... that sounds awesome!

Galager
04-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I just got my first subs about a week ago. I went from old passive 15" speakers to active 10" with small active 12" subs. I don't do much hip-hop so there is not as much call for a lot of deep bass so I put off getting them. The first time I plugged them in was in my front room and my daughter was excited because they made the legs of her pants 'move' (no comments form any pervs! It was an innocent remark and it's my daughter :furious:). Needless to say I think my music will be clearer, go farther, and have more depth than before.

I appreciate this thread. Thanks for asking.

MikeLtheDJ
04-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I run two JBL prx515 and two harbinger subs hp118. (GC house brand), and I normally run the subs in highpass. I know the subs are not the most impressive in the world but for the money you can't beat them. How do you guys run your power subs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

A#1 DJ
04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
My EV eliminator subs (loaded with Peavey Low Rider 18s) are ALWAYS included :)

Al Poulin
04-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Exactly what i said 2 post ago...

unless I'm missing something, these two statements do not look identical to me :

What you said :

''It all according to your sense of style vs acoustics. Center placement looks the best but I try as often as possible to put my sub(s) along a wall or in a corner.''

What I said :

''If you want the maximum SPL from your sub, having it shooting into a corner (1-2` away) can dramatically increase its output. Having it close to a wall (or other boundary) also increases output. In some cases, corner or wall loading may cause some boominess BUT it is the best way to get the most sound out of your sub.''

How are these posts identical? You explain how you place your subs without going any further (which is fine), while I explain how to get the maximum amount of SPL from a sub (or subs) using a boudary or corner. ???

Al

Drewbdo
04-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I play a small nightclub from time to time. Restored late 1800's hardware store, with original wood floors, walls, and ceilings. I'm usually up in the front corner, and place my KW181 in the corner, but firing out into the room and along the long wall. The long side of the cabinet is parallel to the long wall of the club.

Should I rotate the sub 180*, so the cone is firing into the corner, bouncing off along the longest wall? The cabinet isn't that long, but rotating front of the speaker to face the corner would get the cone a little closer to the short wall, and it would be the same distance from the long wall (since the long side of the cabinet is still parallel to the long wall of the club).

I had thought of trying that once, but I liked the appearance of the power and mic cables being hidden behind the sub. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference sound wise, since the cabinet is still in the corner, but now, I'm wondering.

ampnation
04-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I play a small nightclub from time to time. Restored late 1800's hardware store, with original wood floors, walls, and ceilings. I'm usually up in the front corner, and place my KW181 in the corner, but firing out into the room and along the long wall. The long side of the cabinet is parallel to the long wall of the club.

Should I rotate the sub 180*, so the cone is firing into the corner, bouncing off along the longest wall? The cabinet isn't that long, but rotating front of the speaker to face the corner would get the cone a little closer to the short wall, and it would be the same distance from the long wall (since the long side of the cabinet is still parallel to the long wall of the club).

I had thought of trying that once, but I liked the appearance of the power and mic cables being hidden behind the sub. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference sound wise, since the cabinet is still in the corner, but now, I'm wondering.

Basically yes, but place it at a 45 degree angle into a right angle corner. Don't concern yourself with which wall is longest. Treat them as though they are the same.

sss18734
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
White corner loading almost always improves bass, facing it into the wall or corner does not always work like it should... in fact you can sometimes lose SPL. Try both configurations and see what works best.

Unfortunately rooms are such acoustic nightmares that the only way find optimal placement is to experiment.

DJ DRU
08-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Dumb question here..... when you guys say corner loading, do you face the sub towards the corner of the wall or away from the corner of the wall (towards the dance floor)????

second question, when corner loading or putting the subs against a wall, how much distance between the wall or corner should i be leaving?

Drewbdo
08-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Dumb question here..... when you guys say corner loading, do you face the sub towards the corner of the wall or away from the corner of the wall (towards the dance floor)????

second question, when corner loading or putting the subs against a wall, how much distance between the wall or corner should i be leaving?

As I understand it, from what I have learned from here and other websites...

1. Face the sub cone into the corner. In my case, this means the control panel/wiring connections will be facing out towards the room, as the XLR ports and power/volume controls are on the opposite side of the speaker box from the cone.

2. The cone should be either within 24" from the wall or more than 8' from the wall. Something about the length of the bass frequencies. It made sense when I read it, but I don't remember it well enough to explain the "why"... I just know it works! :)

Your mileage may vary... I'm not a speaker designer or audio engineer. I don't even play one on TV. :D

Evolved
08-21-2012, 02:35 PM

You need to explain yourself brah! Although I think you mean in specific venues indoor/outdoor. Depending on what you do but subs are definitely not useless. Especially if you use their built in crossover. my RCF 4pro with 312-As are amazing using the build in crossover settings.

Evolved
08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
White corner loading almost always improves bass, facing it into the wall or corner does not always work like it should... in fact you can sometimes lose SPL. Try both configurations and see what works best.

Unfortunately rooms are such acoustic nightmares that the only way find optimal placement is to experiment.

True. When I turn on my sub inside my place. I have to open a door and a couple of windows to minimize the level to be acceptable. Even when it is faced about 30 feet away. The base will reflect pretty well off wall structures.

Jonno Soccio
08-22-2012, 03:29 AM
I use a low cutoff filter on my mic preamp to help with low frequency feedback.

Do you ever stop banging on about bloody subs?

946 posts, at least 800 of which are about the joys of sub-woofers

DYM
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey RockinRob... saw a few of your YouTube videos.. You obviously love the OLD Peavy cabs and you use them on sub poles... with big subs.... maybe if you renewed your system to say an EV system or the like, you wouldn't have a problem. This is, of course, if you are the REAL DJ RockinRob... remeber practice n enjoy!

Sween
08-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Digging up old threads huh?

Do you ever stop banging on about bloody subs?

946 posts, at least 800 of which are about the joys of sub-woofers

I guess you can make this post 945... And for the record, I have not made a single post about subs for months.

Hey RockinRob... saw a few of your YouTube videos.. You obviously love the OLD Peavy cabs and you use them on sub poles... with big subs.... maybe if you renewed your system to say an EV system or the like, you wouldn't have a problem. This is, of course, if you are the REAL DJ RockinRob... remeber practice n enjoy!

The post in question was not the real Rockin Rob. The Real Rockin Rob uses subwoofers I'm sure.

DYM
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Ahahaa so I thought :)