PDA

View Full Version : Traktor VS. VDJ... Cannot Decide!

DJHoss
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Howdy everyone,

I Have a dilemma. I bought the Numark Totalcontrol (Mistake, I know) a while back to start my DJ'ing career on. It has been pretty solid, but It is way past time to upgrade. It came bundled with Traktor 1 LE, which I tried and didn't like. So, I ponied up for VDJ Pro 7, because I taught myself on VDJ Home 5, and liked what I had.

Today, I installed windows 8 on my laptop, installed VDJ PRO on it, and thought what the hell, I'll just install Traktor 2.5 trial on here to try it out again. So, I did, and wow. There is so much to set up, and you have complete control over everything, I loved it. The sound quality sounded 10 times better from traktor than from VDJ playing the same songs with same levels in the mixer (I keep a seperate mixer for EQ and levels because VDJ's built in EQ and faders suck).

My question is, should I switch to Traktor Pro and dump VDJ? I need reasons why to switch, because I am 14 and I have an extremely tight budget.

Second off, I am starting to get into mixing. Should I dump the controller and get some used Technics 1200MK2's and a decent mixer and use Traktor's vinyl to MiDi interface? Or maybe get a controller like the NS7, or denon DM-MC6000?

Thank y'all much,

nolimitz
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Well if you wanna control the music thru turntables, you're gonna need a DVS (digital vinyl system) for that. You'll need to buy the Traktor Scratch DUO or Pro upgrade. If you get the NS7 you can use it with VDJ 7 Pro but not Traktor. The NS7 is/was a Serato Itch controller when it first came out but it is mappable to VDJ.

VDJ is much better than what it used to be but they still say that if your going the controller route, Traktor is the way to go. VDJ Pro is also a DVS but u'll still need an interface/soundcard. You say you're on a tight budget, how tight?

The turntables will cost you 200-350 a piece, a decent mixer will be another 200-400(maybe more depending on what features you want), Traktor Scratch Duo is $399 and Pro having a price tag of $669.

It all depends on what YOU want. The DN-MC6000 is also a good choice but can cost up to $700 new. The NS7 can be anywhere from $800-1000 but comes with the Software (ITCH is a free download from Serato but useless without certified hardware)

drzinc
03-14-2012, 08:23 PM
VDJ is also a DVS most people forget that. Also VDJ will work with 99% of the controllers out there.

DJHoss
03-14-2012, 08:45 PM
True, this I knew. My only concern is sound quality; as I am sure they are gonna overhaul it in VDJ 8 that is supposed to release later this year. Thanks guys, and I was aware that I would need the DVS system.

Budget tightness to me = I need to know what I am getting beforehand so I can save up my cash to get said system. Cash is hard to come by for me, and believe me, I save every bit I can.

MeowMix
03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Bottom line is, go with the software you like most. There is enough hardware out there of all prices to accommodate the software choice but no piece of hardware will make you like your software any more than you already do (assuming you have explored it deeply enough).

I'd say wait for VDJ8 before you make a decision. Just Traktor Pro is not insanely expensive but if you are going traktor DVS with TSP2.5 than you are looking at some serious cash.

KLH
03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Bottom line is, go with the software you like most.
+1. Rep.

-KLH