PDA

View Full Version : Question about SSL

Buddha131
03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
I am considering a DVS now. Either TSD2 or SSl.

I was considering Traktor because I can map my Hercules RMX to it, and use the controller at house parties and stuff.

My understanding is that you cannot control Serato through MIDI control only. You have to have a time-code setup to control the decks and EQ. Am I right about this?

That's the only reason I'm not considering Serato. But if Serato turns out to be the shit on wheels, then I could just get Deckadance for the RMX, and use Serato in the clubs/home.

Someone advise me~

JuxtaPoser
03-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Serato is fully midi-mappable but I'm not sure how you'd go about mapping the jog-wheels on your controller. If you're looking for a solution that works as a DVS with turntables/CDJs and with a controller as well then Traktor could well be the best way for you to go (assuming Traktor supports that controller?). Serato have ITCH which is their controller-specific version of Scratch Live.

Judging from what you've written about what you want to do, I think Traktor could be the most flexible choice for you.

Finnish_Fox
03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi all... somewhat related question. I am a house DJ - no laptop, just CDJs, TTs and am mixer (DJM 700), but i am very interested in playing eclectic funk, hip hop, etc. sets (think A-Trak @ The Do Over) using a DVS, probably preferably Serato... this would appeal to my other musical interests as well as help me develop my scratching and different styles of mixing.

At this point, I am looking at a used SSL/SSL2 or TTM57SL to go with my 1200s so I can do this. Offhand, I prefer the Rane scratch/battle mixer for this sort of mixing but am not sure if I am paying a lot more for minimal upgrade between SSL and 57SL... and I'm sure the DJM-700 will work just fine... leading me to believe the better option is picking up SSL/SSL2.

Any thoughts/agreements/disagreements?

(I should mention I already have Traktor 2 Pro... though I don't really use it all.)

antFastic
03-14-2012, 08:59 PM
To the OP: Your understanding is right, SSL is only geared up for use with an external mixer i.e. it doesn't have an internal mixer. There is some MIDI platter control behind SSL, though not supported, you may be able to get the RMX platters working. You could also assign a bunch of buttons but without any mixer controls, you won't be able to use it properly and you won't get any light feedback either.

Serato Itch doesn't work with the RMX either, afaik it is locked to work with specific controllers.

SSL and Traktor are both the shit on wheels, you just gotta choose the one that suits your needs best.

DJNR
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
e
Hi all... somewhat related question. I am a house DJ - no laptop, just CDJs, TTs and am mixer (DJM 700), but i am very interested in playing eclectic funk, hip hop, etc. sets (think A-Trak @ The Do Over) using a DVS, probably preferably Serato... this would appeal to my other musical interests as well as help me develop my scratching and different styles of mixing.

At this point, I am looking at a used SSL/SSL2 or TTM57SL to go with my 1200s so I can do this. Offhand, I prefer the Rane scratch/battle mixer for this sort of mixing but am not sure if I am paying a lot more for minimal upgrade between SSL and 57SL... and I'm sure the DJM-700 will work just fine... leading me to believe the better option is picking up SSL/SSL2.

Any thoughts/agreements/disagreements?

(I should mention I already have Traktor 2 Pro... though I don't really use it all.)

If you're shooting for the TTM feel, you could just drop an Innofader into your 700. Performance wise, both will do really well and I don't see the point in buying a whole new mixer to get serato.

Finnish_Fox
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
e

If you're shooting for the TTM feel, you could just drop an Innofader into your 700. Performance wise, both will do really well and I don't see the point in buying a whole new mixer to get serato.

Was looking at the innofader site... didn't look like the 700 was supported?
Or am I just daft? :shrug:

If I can get an innofader, I'd much rather do that then have two mixers... at least right now.

VjQue
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Was looking at the innofader site... didn't look like the 700 was supported?
Or am I just daft? :shrug:

If I can get an innofader, I'd much rather do that then have two mixers... at least right now. you can get the 57 dirt cheap and if you ever decide to do video mixing your set.

the 57 has serato built in.

Finnish_Fox
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
you can get the 57 dirt cheap and if you ever decide to do video mixing your set.

the 57 has serato built in.

Seeing the 57 in the range of $900-1000... did know it had SL built in, did not know it did video mixing.