PDA

View Full Version : Hip-Hop DJ trapped in R&B Mode

DJ Que Yi
03-14-2012, 03:44 PM
I was just wondering how many of you are experiencing the same thing as I. I'm 40 years old and started spinning over 20 years ago. In the height of my career between 1990 and 1995 (college/bachelor years) I was spinning hip hop, funk/old school, r&b, and dancehall, in that order. It was the golden era of hip hop and I rocked many parties and kept the dance floor jumping. I got back into playing out last year and I've been doing gigs for various age groups. Most of my gigs consist of a 30 and up crowd with the 40 and up being the majority of party goers. My most challenging age group is the 40 and up crowd-which ironically is the same demographic I rocked in 90-95. Now it seems that this group has turned into line/stepping song junkies with some with some r&b & funk sprinkled in. When I cater to the younger demographic with new hip hop they scatter and frown up. Now I agree that the new stuff is suffering on substance but I screen what I play to avoid clearing the floor and offending anyone. I have all of the right music for all of my genres so I'm now working on playing the genre in the right order. As always my goal is to have a slamming party. I'm just curious if any of you have gone through this and how did you counter it.

Peace,
Que Yi

DJ INDICA JONES
03-17-2012, 04:46 PM
It's easy. 80's music/Hip Hop is something that both young and old know alike. Run DMC (It's Tricky, etc), Tone Loc, Salt and Peppa, and others. Also, you can throw in some serious 80's bangers in the middle of a set like "Eye of The Tiger, Red Red Wine, Seventeen, Beat It, Billie Jean, etc....". It is a decade that even 16 year kids know and react to. I've done over 600 shows and people react to 80's like no other.

bernardgregory
03-18-2012, 05:53 PM
there is a VERY small group of 20-30 year olds that enjoy good hip hop music. they are hard to find though :/

ParisCreative
03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Seriously, golden age, R&B, it's all good in the end. So many newer R&B songs sampled from golden age hits so it's a nice transition into mixing multi-decade libraries.