PDA

View Full Version : Alesis m1active mk2

djlukewathey
03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
ok well im in the market for some new active monitors but havnt got loads of cash unfortunatly, im useing 1200s and an ecler mixer i mix hardcore and occasionally techno no i need something that can keep up but also has some bass atleast.

so i was looking at the yamaha hs50m for £270 a pair brand new so i thought id do my research and these turn out to be an amasing monitor for this price range all though not much bass if any...

i then went into my local cash convertors and saw a pair of alesis m1 active mk2 for £120 with balanced xlrs and im sorry but that sounds to me like a bargain compaired to the new price of £240

so i spoke to the dude and he said there fully working and can show me them working they were in awsome condition...

so off i go trying to decide what to do although its 2 weeks before pay day so have till then to decide...

unfortunatly there isnt A shop in manchester that stock the yamahas or the alesis ones so i can go and listen...

i looked online and cant really find any decent reviews to make my decision so my question is are these speakers any good are they actually a bargain for £120 or are they a pile or cr@p

and how do they stack up to the yamahas incase they sell them and have to buy new

cheers dude n keep spinning :D

unsafe8989
03-14-2012, 03:22 PM
KRK Rokit's www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-8.html .

djlukewathey
03-14-2012, 03:50 PM
not really looking at KRKs to be honest i dont really like the way they sound plus i think they dont look any good either cheap plastic fronts etc

i chose the yamahas as the big brother to the hs50 (the hs80) are used in many recording studios including matropolis in london,

my brother actually took a trip down to the studios with work (he works in a hifi shop) and they seem to care alot about sound and the way its used in monitoring and thats exactly what ill be doing,

i did a bit of research some time ago (when krks were square) also but never bothered getting anything....

dont get me wrong i know alot of people like krks and have a set but i just dont think there for me....

unsafe8989
03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
I think for the money this is your best bet as of Yamaha its a good brand in all but i personally like the sound of the KRK"s.
http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Active-Bi-Amplified-Reference-Monitor/dp/B0000AM67V/ref=zg_bs_11974991_19

DTR
03-15-2012, 03:57 AM
I trialed the M1s and thought they sounded very muddy compared to others in that price range. Personally I'd go with something else.

Unknown DJ
03-15-2012, 05:31 AM
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b2031a_truth_aktivmonitor.htm

have a pair sound great.

djlukewathey
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
ok guys well i went into my local shop to have a listen to some monitors,

i have been doing research on different models and brands and narrowed my search down to the yamaha hs50m alesis mk2 active and the alesis m1 acitive 520 (not the usb one)

well listened to the 520s and it was like i was allways waiting for something to happen yet it didnt as in waiting for the tune to kick back in then it was disapointing.

so i moved onto the m1 mk2s and they were really good for the price range very punchy and not as punchy as they look which is good for me as i live in an apartment and will get evicted lol

the only thing i found wrong with them was with hardcore (which is what i play) they just couldnt keep up with the speed as weel as smaller drivers can i found the same on my brother 3grand PMC monitors to...

so before i left the guy said have a listen to these which were the mackie mr5s and thought these were great very punchy for a 5inch base unit very quick on the beats and good with vocals...

i generally had a massive smile on my face

then he combined them with a small sub with a 6 inch base unit not sure what this was though

and to be fair i creamed my self in the shop...

so my conclusion is im going to spend a little bit more and buy the mackies on wednesday.....

Ocie
03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
are you actually using these for producing music? i'm not sure what you mean by the "waiting for something to happen yet it didn't statement."

i've got a pair of the 520s (no clue how old, 1-3 years i would guess) and they work great in my apartment. i can play loud and they keep up when i play drum n' bass (which isn't very often to be fair).

do you really need a sub in your apartment when you can risk eviction for playing too loud? the 520s were plenty loud for the girls who used to live above me, loud enough to call security twice in one week (they were assholes anyway, so my roommate and I moved into a new building).

i picked up mine for $90 used but in great condition, which is just under 57 pounds. if you have the coin and want better, then go for it. mine have served me well the last 7 months or so i figured i would just throw in my experience.

Al Poulin
03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
ok guys well i went into my local shop to have a listen to some monitors,

i have been doing research on different models and brands and narrowed my search down to the yamaha hs50m alesis mk2 active and the alesis m1 acitive 520 (not the usb one)

well listened to the 520s and it was like i was allways waiting for something to happen yet it didnt as in waiting for the tune to kick back in then it was disapointing.

so i moved onto the m1 mk2s and they were really good for the price range very punchy and not as punchy as they look which is good for me as i live in an apartment and will get evicted lol

the only thing i found wrong with them was with hardcore (which is what i play) they just couldnt keep up with the speed as weel as smaller drivers can i found the same on my brother 3grand PMC monitors to...

so before i left the guy said have a listen to these which were the mackie mr5s and thought these were great very punchy for a 5inch base unit very quick on the beats and good with vocals...

i generally had a massive smile on my face

then he combined them with a small sub with a 6 inch base unit not sure what this was though

and to be fair i creamed my self in the shop...

so my conclusion is im going to spend a little bit more and buy the mackies on wednesday.....

As much as I am NOT a fan of Mackie, I have to admit those MR5s are impressive little monitors. My brother has a set and I was quite surprised when I tried them out. Very nice and full for such a compact monitor.

Al

djlukewathey
03-23-2012, 01:59 AM
cheers for the replys guys

im not slating the alesis im just saying after listening to the Mackies i just fell in love with them,

when i say waiting for something to happen its a term widely used in the hifi industry

when your listening to a big track (i mean like with big bass big synths big vocals) as the little 520s dont have much bass and also i like speakers to be almost 3d with noises and i feel these lacked this and i had a waiting feeling that the track is going to storm in but as these lacked power it didnt storm in if you know what i mean...

its hard to explain the sound over typing lol