PDA

View Full Version : Perc - The Power & the Glory

Mahatma Coat
02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Anyone got their hands on this yet?

Self-titled are streaming it at the moment, you can listen here: Perc - The Power & the Glory (http://www.self-titledmag.com/2014/02/17/download-percs-fact-mix-and-stream-his-new-album-the-power-and-the-glory/)

This is my favourite track so far:

zKMSL7Cqzvw

Pretty fucked up shit! Deciding whether or not to buy the album on vinyl...

Edit* Check this interview out with the man, fucking class: We Spoke to Techno Auteur Perc About His New Album, 'The Power & The Glory' (http://thump.vice.com/en_uk/words/we-spoke-to-techno-perc)

Thump: So are you making stuff that’s trying to shake people out of complacency? The music seems aggressively at odds with what the mainstream of dance is championing right now.

Perc: Yeah, I think it is that. It’s that thing of short sharp shock, trying to get a reaction from people. It’s a balance of getting a reaction without alienating, and purposely going out of your way to piss people off. It’s still a dance album. It still has club tracks that’ll appeal to DJs and clubbers. I don’t want to leave that side behind - the club and the DJ is the primary environment for what I do - but dance music at the moment is a little bit cosy, especially the generic cookie*cutter deep house stuff that’s at the top of the charts. I’ve known this stuff for a long time and if you look at the original Chicago house blueprint, it’s being rehashed again and again. It’s not appealing to me at all.

Thump: 90s dance had such an obsession with being fresh, and moving forward, and a lot of the stuff coming out now seems to be slavishly recreating a 90s aesthetic whilst totally disregarding the forward looking mentality.

Perc: Yeah. It’s strange, a lot of what I hear now is such a throwback. Personally I’m trying to move forward. It’s a development though. I don’t want to take 180 degree turns with every release just to confuse people. I think people who do that and switch around style all the time are probably just bandwagon-jumping.

One thing that has really jumped out at me recently was that* when I was younger, I was looking for quite noisy music that your parents wouldn’t be able to get their heads around. Like, if you look at early rave like The Prodigy, or drum 'n' bass, or even the gnarly dubstep stuff that was knocking around a while ago, all those things separated a younger generation from their parents. And now, this deep house thing is huge. You could put on a deep house compilation while you had Sunday dinner with your parents, and no one would bat an eyelid.

I never expected to see it happen. I’ve been playing clubs, in the techno room, and in the other room there’ll be some house DJ playing the current deep house sound and the crowd is like, super young, barely old enough to get into the club, and they’re all really loving it, cheering and getting down, and I feel a bit like, "Come on, you should be liking something more confrontational!"

Catch22
02-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I was considering it.

Pretty mental techno. I'll need to give the full album a listen, heard a few tracks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDmY110Vm48

Mahatma Coat
02-19-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't usually go in for techno albums, if I do buy them it'll be on CD for home listening. Usually I just buy EPs for DJing with, stuff for the dancefloor.

There's something about this one though... Might just go the full whack and get the full album on black plastic.

The only other techno albums I have on vinyl are Shed's debut & Jeff Mills Waveform Transmissions Vol. One