PDA

View Full Version : Virtual dj software for denon cdj's

Jamuss
02-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Hi:)

I have a denon dns3000 and dns5000. After looking on the web I cant seem to find any guidance or advice so hoping you might be able to help. Does anyone know what free software I can use on a laptop to control the dns5000? Not sure if you can do this with the 3000. I have music on a network drive and want to use the cdj's as a controller to mix the music from the network drive through the laptop and mixer etc.

thanks in advance.

KLH
02-18-2014, 01:01 PM
I would think that you would use a DVS application (i.e. VirtualDJ, Serato DJ, Traktor Scratch Pro, etc). Your music would be able to be located anywhere a computer can access them.

Jamuss
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
I would think that you would use a DVS application (i.e. VirtualDJ, Serato DJ, Traktor Scratch Pro, etc). Your music would be able to be located anywhere a computer can access them.

Thanks will look into these although I did find them on the web and was not clear if they were compatable and how to go about setting it all up.:freak:

KLH
02-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Welcome to DJF, Jamuss. A DVS system sits between a sound source (like a CDJ) and a mixer. In your case, your CDJ plays a tone to a computer that corresponds to a position in an MP3. In turn the computer plays the MP3 and the mixer simply hears the track. Mix as normal.

So the connections are usually:

* 2 Sound sources to the sound interface via RCA
* Sound interface to computer via USB
* 2 Sound output from Sound interface to mixer via RCA

Voila.

Jamuss
02-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Welcome to DJF, Jamuss. A DVS system sits between a sound source (like a CDJ) and a mixer. In your case, your CDJ plays a tone to a computer that corresponds to a position in an MP3. In turn the computer plays the MP3 and the mixer simply hears the track. Mix as normal.

So the connections are usually:

* 2 Sound sources to the sound interface via RCA
* Sound interface to computer via USB
* 2 Sound output from Sound interface to mixer via RCA

Voila.

Thank you for the welcome. So I need to buy some hardware. I was naeivly thinking I could just download software onto the laptop and connect the deck some how. Probably a Rane box or similar then?;)

KLH
02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
You're on the right track. Look at Traktor A6 or Serato DJ with the SL2. Both can be used for Virtual DJ, but you'll need the full version for DVS.

ampnation
02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
And by full version, he means (I think) Traktor Scratch Pro or _____ < Whatever Serato is calling the DVS version of Serato DJ. Prior to Serato DJ, it was Serato Scratch Live. For Virtual DJ, check their comparison chart for features.
In any of these cases, you'll need/get DVS timecode discs that "play" in your CDJs. If that isn't what you meant KLH, feel free to correct me.

kick6
02-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi:)

I have a denon dns3000 and dns5000. After looking on the web I cant seem to find any guidance or advice so hoping you might be able to help. Does anyone know what free software I can use on a laptop to control the dns5000? Not sure if you can do this with the 3000. I have music on a network drive and want to use the cdj's as a controller to mix the music from the network drive through the laptop and mixer etc.

thanks in advance.

Do both players have a usb connection? If so, they likely send MIDI signals, and can be mapped to any of the major softwares. No usb? You're going to have to use some nature of DVS with timecode CDs. That'll cost.

KLH
02-18-2014, 06:19 PM
^ Only recent tabletop CD players have native HID support in TP.

What I meant (ampnation) is that TSP and SDJ are self contained in that they include an interface and license. On the other hand, VDJ has multiple versions but needs the most expensive one to give access to the DVS engine... and even then you'll need a sound interface.

I'm trying not to spell out everything because the OP has some homework to do and a choice to make.

kick6
02-19-2014, 09:17 AM
^ Only recent tabletop CD players have native HID support in TP.

But they could still be midi mappable.