PDA

View Full Version : ADVISE on new gear please!

SFD09
03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Please help with positive feedback on what (In your opinion) would be my next good purchace...

I guess I am still a biginner but looking to upgrade as I am about to take on the next step or phase in mixing. I can match beats and understand all of the sampling, cueing and looping features but what I have now certainly makes it hard to execute! And at this point I am only playing in my basement and have hosted a couple of parties at my house while I stumble my way through them!
What I have now....I am running the Numark Mixdeck (CD's, Ipod, USB and laptop capabilities) with the Mackie MR5's monitor speakers.

What I am looking at....I had my mind made up 90% on the Numark NS6 console (looked at the NS7 but decided on the NS6's features instead) but now have had a look at the Traktor Kontrol S4 with some better studio monitors or possibly powered speakers (Thump 12's or 15's?)
The Traktor S4 looks like it has some amazing features but maybe too advanced for me at this stage. I understand that maybe next year I might be at a level where I could get into that stuff and I have the personality that I always want the better stuff if I think that I can use it sooner or later but I like the look and feel of the Numark unit better at this point. The S4 however has the mic recording and sampling option which looks really cool!
I guess I am looking for a better unit to start some looping and cueing sets. The kinda downfall to these units compared to the Mixdeck is that there is no option to run CD's or an Ipod or even the thumb drives. I guess CD's are almost a thing of the past though and digital seems to be the future. Alot to get the head wrapped around though!
So, for the beginner-hobbyist....Numark NS6 (or 7) or the Traktor Kontrol S4?

Thanks for the help!

DJ ATX
03-14-2012, 12:44 PM
If you are already used to the Mixdeck layout and just want to incrementally upgrade your equipment, I would wait until the Mixdeck Quad comes out. Basically if the NS6 and Mixdeck got married and had a baby, it would be the Mixdeck Quad. The advantage to this is that you will already be familiar with the layout and function, while at the same time adding the features you want.

However, I would personally look further out in the future. If you see yourself eventually doing clubs, I would maybe look at getting CDJs instead. If you are going the mobile route or continuing on this being a hobby with a few gigs here and there, then the Mixdeck Quad will do you nicely.

http://www.numark.com/product/mixdeckquad

Not sure what software you are using now, but the Mixdeck Quad will be Serato Itch and Virtual DJ. Whether or not there will be a map for Traktor is still up in the air as far as I know. Although, it is very likely there will be mapping for Traktor. I don't see NI being left out in the cold with this piece of gear.

Cervantes
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM
you could try the S2 if you like the S4.

SFD09
03-14-2012, 02:31 PM
thanks for the reply.
Maybe I left out that I pretty much hate the Mixdeck console! I can't believe how hard they make it to loop and set cues in comparison to anything else out there! I guess you get what you pay for. I get the rest of the console but the NS6 looks wayyyy more user friendly and a wayyy better layout. To "upgrade" to the Mixdeck quad I don't think this would do anything for me, I think, haven't seen it yet but if it's pretty much the same but with the ability to control 2 more outside source decks, than no thanks. Some of the NS6's buttons and knobs are the same but the looping function is 100 times better/easier than the lame way to do so on the Mixdeck. Mixdeck is cheaply made too, buttons come off no problem and the platters do not feel near as good as the NS6 or NS7.
I started with Virtual DJ now just downloaded the Serato Itch. I failed to mention that I also have an awful treble like sound that destroys the sound coming out of my speakers maybe once a song for about 10 seconds, ONLY WHILE I USE THE LAPTOP, never during CD's. I have spoke with Numark tech reps over the phone and they suggested changing the "latency" setings on the laptop but this is still an issue.
@ Cervantes, if I were to go towards the Traktor, I would go for the S4 just for the possiblities that I could explore down the road with the 4 decks.

SFD09
03-15-2012, 06:13 AM
Anymore opinions?

Cervantes
03-15-2012, 06:38 AM
i have the S4 kontroller with my technics hooked up to it. I love, and i meant love everything about it. you have so many creative possibilities, live remixing, looping, and whatever else you can come up with.

SFD09
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Alright, now I have another contender! The Numark 4track with Traktor control looks stellar HOWEVER, the guy in the DJ department at the local music shop hihjly recommends the Traktor S4 still above both Numark products listed here (NS6 and 4track). I like the look of the Numark products as they look and feel more conventional and the mapping of the S4 looks a little too intimi******. Any thoughtrs on this or should I just go with my gut and get one of the Numark products?

windspeed36
03-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Id go the S4, but also you mentioned monitors/powered speakers, at this point and in the future are you just looking at being a bedroom DJ or are you looking to do mobile work?

SFD09
03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
At this point just basement screwin around sessions however I plan on playing at my annual Halloween party and possibly by then a few other house parties? I keep hearing the S4 is sweet but have you had a look at the Numark 4Track yet? Same Traktor software, better platters/jog wheels on the 4Track and I like the mapping on th 4Track, at this point, too

KLH
03-20-2012, 05:47 PM
FWIW, the 4Track is the Traktor version of the NS6... which is a good thing. You actually should be fine with the MixDeck. If you're looking for newer/different, you'll be equally served with the NS6, 4Track, or S4. They're all fine controllers.

IMHO, ITCH is closer to the traditional feel of TT/CDJ+Mixer+TT/CDJ than Traktor. ITCH is designed to keep you mixing in traditional ways... although that's changing (with Twitch). Traktor is designed to work with anything MIDI enabled and begs for tracks to be mangled with effects or decomposed. Neither is better than the other in experienced hands, but I will say Traktor has its own feel.

-KLH

windspeed36
03-21-2012, 12:40 AM
As for speakers I'd just get some nice monitors, go out and have a listen and see what takes your fancy, spending $800+ on PA speakers for your situation will just be a waste of money. If you need speakers for an event just hire them...

SFD09
03-24-2012, 06:26 AM
Good stuff people! Thanks...