PDA

View Full Version : RCA splitter?

PVTD
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Hello there.

I have a pretty standard DJ setup when organizing parties.
Right now I own 4 CDJs, 1 main mixer, 1 laptop, a DJ RMX for my laptop to use with Traktor Pro.
They are connected to 2 amps, 1 2x500 (Mid/high) and 1 1x1200W (Sub).

These 2 amps are connected to the main mixer using speaker out for the satelites and Studio out for the subwoofer (As I can boost up the bass on the studio out ones)

I plan on purchasing 4 new satellites using 2 more amps. I need to connect those too, but I have no idea how without losing sound quality as I found out that connecting to many devices to the same out is making it leak sound :(

So what I would need is a RCA splitter (stereo).
I sometimes have to take out the sub to add 2 Active speakers, but I plan on connecting it to the splitter too.

Which means I would need to find a RCA splitter stereo with minimum 5 OUT and 1 IN.
Can any one help me with this :D

PS: If you didn't understand what I mean, I can explain better, just the lack of time right now while making the post as I am building the set right at this moment xD
Thanks,
PVTD.

allensmusic
03-14-2012, 09:21 AM
daisy chain the amps.
what type of amps are you using and getting that use RCA's?

PVTD
03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Sadly only the sub's amp can daisy chain. But then I would get to much Bass from the other speakers.

I only have the input on the other amps, they terminate the signal.
Thats why I'd need a separated box who could maybe be controlled (ON/OFF a channel) in case I need to do some testing :)

PVTD
03-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Bump?

Manu
03-15-2012, 06:16 AM
I never ever recommend using a splitter, unless it's an active one. Buy some speakers or amps that you can daisy chain. Either that or you'll lose an awful lot, your sound quality is only as good as your weakest link.

Sadly only the sub's amp can daisy chain. But then I would get to much Bass from the other speakers.

amps do relay signal, give it a try.

PVTD
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM

amps do relay signal, give it a try.
Yes, but that AMP can only relay once the signal. I need 3 more amps relaying the signal, which is not possible in my case :S

I do look for a active splitter, it would lose way less quality. I might even try adding a small amp and manually split the wires (Like adding many speakers on a amp's output.)
But I know that would be very wrong :P

After doing some research I found something like this: http://www.sfcable.com/2903-SF-08.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag
It's a 1 in-8out containing also video out. I don't like having the video too, but seems like there isn't one made for sound only...
It's powered, has quite a large sound range.

Should I try this?

PV

djscrizzle
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
If you aren't afraid of soldering or DIYing... You could always make a passive splitter yourself: Use a small plastic enclosure and 4 sets (8 total) of RCA jacks. Inside, the input of each channel splits three times using a 470-ohm 1/4 watt resistor on each signal pin split. The grounds are left as hard splits. All the parts are easily found at Radioshack, and the cost is under $20.

If you really wanted to get fancy and make an active splitter, you could make it active by adding NE5534 or similar low noise op-amps on each of the outputs of the splits and attenuators (level controls) as well.

This device is a lot better than using a Y adapter, and the inputs of each device aren't impedance mis-matched.

djmunster
03-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Think about getting a crossover for your setup

mostapha
03-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Think about getting a crossover for your setup

:stupid:

A good DSP/Crossover/Controller will solve all of your problems. And a half-decent one will sound better than a splitter.

djscrizzle
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I've got a Behringer CX-3400 crossover that has worked well for just about 2 years so far in my A-Rig.

A simple 2way stereo/3way mono Peavey or dBx-223 unit should come in at under $175 (costing even less if it's used) and do all you need to do in a simple tops and subs setup.

I have separate racks for my amps and signal processing gear, for portability. the 12-space has the amps, and is 150 Lbs, while the 6-space is under 30 and has the processing gear. Both racks have connector panels to speed up setup by making inter-rack patching a lot simpler and quicker.

I chose the Behringer CX-3400, for it's hard limiters and three-way/four way mono operation... Handy for big stacks n racks rigs! They often run mono instead of stereo.

PVTD
03-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I need to learn more about hardware haha!
I think I will wait with spending 170$ on cool gear I probably will use once every few months tho.

I might ring up a friend who can DIY and see if he can fix me smth similar, but if not i'll go for a simple box.
Making one myself by screwing a few cables together got me a nasty experience burning one of the cables by accident, so I'll go for a simple 20$ powered splitter.

I will tho get to know more about using processional gear if as I would love going into the processional field.
Besides, we play 90% Dubstep and Minimal, not like we'r gonna lose a LOT of sound quality haha!

Thx folks :D
Greets from Italia!
PV-