PDA

View Full Version : issue with S4 Kontroller crossfader

Cervantes
03-14-2012, 05:28 AM
ever since i updated scratch pro, my crossfaders topped working for both the C & D channel. A & B cut in and out fine when the fader is all the way to either side, but to cut out the music from C & D, i need to use the upfaders. i already tried to recalibrate the fader, but that didnt work. when i click on the option for the fader to show on the screen, it wont even show up there.

anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?

KLH
03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
IIRC, you have TSP. From what you're saying, it could be due to how TSP is setup or an actual issue with the S4. I'm leaning towards how TSP is setup.

Can you post a quick picture or video of what you're saying? Also, can you take pics of the config screens - mainly the Audio Setup, Input Routing, and Output Routing screens.

-KLH

jazzyj
03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I had some issues with my S4 crossfader before - but I'm pretty sure it was User error. I don't have scratch - but in traktor pro there is a "reset" button for way the decks fade/feed into one another - I pressed the reset, and life was good again. Maybe there's something similar in Scratch?

Cervantes
03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
i'll post a video when i get home. i tried to recalibrate and reset, but i havent had any luck.

van Jackson
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
my bad...

...since i thought bout checking forums ... i thought i was the only one having this problem:)
my crossfader moves always its way back with 1 step to site A/C even the Crossfaders position is in a Fixed Position.
So i Set it Back to Center/Middle sooner or later it will Jump Back to Left Side / Deck A/C

hopefully ill get that solved, won't send it to native in case i will miss my S4 :S

If anyone has any Idea "´ like " ;)

greets with beats - van Jackson

Cervantes
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
here's a video of my problem

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/dj_likuidvibe/?action=view&current=IMG_1022.mp4

jazzyj
03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Well Cervantes, not that it helps much, but I just played/paused the video during your settings shots, and compared it with mine and all the settings are the same as far as the input/output/crossfader goes :(

DJNR
03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
here's a video of my problem

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/dj_likuidvibe/?action=view¤t=IMG_1022.mp4

It's not fader bleed. The problem is that you do not have channel C + D assigned to the crossfader. Do you notice the little lit up arrows at the bottom of the fader? The direction of the arrow signifies which side the track lies.

To fix your problem, open up Traktor's preferences and go to the mixer tab. Once there, click the box that says "crossfader" so that the crossfader shows within Traktor. Go back to your main screen and at the bottom you will notice a crossfader line, and on either side it will list A B C D. Click C on the left, and D on the right, and that should solve your problem.

Edit: I noticed you said the cross fader doesn't show. Hide decks C+D first and then hit crossfader. It likely isn't showing because you have so much stuff on your screen.

DJNR
03-14-2012, 08:03 PM
my bad...

...since i thought bout checking forums ... i thought i was the only one having this problem:)
my crossfader moves always its way back with 1 step to site A/C even the Crossfaders position is in a Fixed Position.
So i Set it Back to Center/Middle sooner or later it will Jump Back to Left Side / Deck A/C

hopefully ill get that solved, won't send it to native in case i will miss my S4 :S

If anyone has any Idea "´ like " ;)

greets with beats - van Jackson

You aren't using auto crossfade are you? Sounds like a calibration problem to me, in which case I would go to preferences > Kontrol S4 and just recalibrate all the faders.

jazzyj
03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
It's not fader bleed. The problem is that you do not have channel C + D assigned to the crossfader. Do you notice the little lit up arrows at the bottom of the fader? The direction of the arrow signifies which side the track lies.

To fix your problem, open up Traktor's preferences and go to the mixer tab. Once there, click the box that says "crossfader" so that the crossfader shows within Traktor. Go back to your main screen and at the bottom you will notice a crossfader line, and on either side it will list A B C D. Click C on the left, and D on the right, and that should solve your problem.

I would agree with you, except if you notice in his video, he tries to turn on the crossfader in the decks/mixer, and it won't come on. Also, in the input/output settings, he has the correct fader settings A <> B, C <> D, and the up and down arrows for A<>C, B<>D. He also said he hit the restore button in the middle of that section, which also resets to what you're telling him to do. It's very very weird.

DJNR
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
I would agree with you, except if you notice in his video, he tries to turn on the crossfader in the decks/mixer, and it won't come on. Also, in the input/output settings, he has the correct fader settings A <> B, C <> D, and the up and down arrows for A<>C, B<>D. He also said he hit the restore button in the middle of that section, which also resets to what you're telling him to do. It's very very weird.

Read my edit on my first post. He has to turn off decks C+D in order to get the crossfader to work, because it shows below all of the other stuff and Traktor will not hide your library after a certain point.

If I'm wrong after what I suggested, I will re-evaluate and try to figure out the problem. Make another video if it doesn't work so I can see what's up.

jazzyj
03-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Read my edit on my first post. He has to turn off decks C+D in order to get the crossfader to work, because it shows below all of the other stuff and Traktor will not hide your library after a certain point.

If I'm wrong after what I suggested, I will re-evaluate and try to figure out the problem. Make another video if it doesn't work so I can see what's up.

Oooops sorry - missed the edit - but oooo yeah true dat. That should work :) Good Job DJNR :)

DJNR
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Oooops sorry - missed the edit - but oooo yeah true dat. That should work :) Good Job DJNR :)

If that doesn't work, then I should shoot myself because I have been using Traktor for 4 years. :lol:

jazzyj
03-14-2012, 08:19 PM
:bows: you are the expert then :) 9 months I think for me? I figured out that lil trick that you explained, when I wanted to keep my mic plugged into live deck D always open. I unclick the lil D and the arrow goes unlit, so now even if I'm faded all the way left to Deck A/C, if I need to turn the mic up for whatever (mobile DJ) then D is still live and loud :)

KLH
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
+1. THAT is the problem.

As for the issue with the "missing" crossfader, Cerv is using a view that doesn't show it. Use the "Mixer" view (TP manual p28) to see everything.

After the "Mixer" view is seen, you can easily assign faders to either side or simply play through (see S4 manual p106).

Here's a KLH tip, if you want to quickly assign/remove CF settings, on each channel hold (on the S4) shift+FX 1 for left CF or Shift+FX2 for right CF. For example, if I wanted to assign channel B to the right CF, I'd hold shift and press the FX2 button on channel B. After doing this, the "blue arrow" beneath channel B should point right.

And now Cerv has been served.

-KLH

Cervantes
03-15-2012, 12:04 AM
thanks, i assigned the fader and it worked. now i need to figure out why i get a high pitch sound from both the control vinyls. it also sounds like the tempo is screwy, it sounds like im pushing or pulling the record to have it catch up to the other when im not touching it.

DJNR
03-15-2012, 12:07 AM
thanks, i assigned the fader and it worked. now i need to figure out why i get a high pitch sound from both the control vinyls. it also sounds like the tempo is screwy, it sounds like im pushing or pulling the record to have it catch up to the other when im not touching it.

Are you just talking about the high pitch inside or outside the program? If it's just outside the program (the records are squealing) that's normal for timecode vinyl.

As for the pushing or pulling there are two things you can do:
1 - Recalibrate the vinyl
2 - Raise your latency because 4 decks is pretty rough on some computers.

Cervantes
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Will do, thanks.