PDA

View Full Version : CDJ & Mixer

Carlos
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
So i wanna buy my first setup and what i wanna learn is everything from basics all the way up to expert level, so I wanna know what equipment will help me do this best i need some idea of what brand of CDJ and Mixer to get i Have a 700 dollar budget. So if anyone can give me any ideas of what kind of equipment to get so I can achieve my goals that would be helpful.Please let Im doing this because it feels right.

moyo wilde
03-14-2012, 12:05 AM
not sure about the price but if you really want to go from the beginning i would go turntables and a cheap dvs vdj or ms pinky, if you already have a laptop or desktop that you can connect to. the reason i say this is that mixing with tt's is more difficult and will really help develop your ears. also dvs systems are in a lot of club setups. it would be easier to go from dvs to cd than cd to dvs. also there is the added expense of burning cd's, albeit small.

just my two cents.

Molbster
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
with that budget, it'll be really hard to find cdj's and a mixer unless it's old/used/abused. Assuming you already have speakers, if you're lucky, Technic 1200s turntables (industry standard) will run you at least 300 a piece. i don't know too many good quality CDJs for under 300 a piece either. As far as mixers, you might find one for about 200-300 dollars, but the quality of it will be dubious.

with your budget, i'd actually recommend a controller route. there's lots of controller/software packages out there right now that are well under your budget brand new. For example, I just picked up a Kontrol S2 with Tracktor for about 400. I'd been a long time CDJ guy myself and I didn't know what to expect when switching over, but I'm more than happy with my purchase. It's perfect to learn on and can do the same things I was doing on CDJs and more.

/my $0.02

mostapha
03-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Unless you can find a good deal on used CDJ-200s or DN-S1200s, you can't do it for that budget.

700 - 100 (headphones) - 150 (speakers) - 50 (cables, incidentals, etc.) leaves $400 for decks and a mixer……which basically isn't doable.

moyo wilde
03-15-2012, 01:34 AM
oops double post.:P

moyo wilde
03-15-2012, 01:37 AM
he could go cheap on the headphones and speakers and wires but it still wouldn't leave much room. i only say he could go cheaper cause i get by with $100 or less computer speakers. also that and the headphones can be used elsewhere later when you make upgrades. move the speakers to a comp and the headphones can be used in daily life. but yeah that would still leave maybe $500-$550, not much.

i am not a real fan of controllers unless you can beatmatch on them. i did the midi thing early and to be honest it set me back as far as djing skills go. and i hated having to lug my stuff around. even when i was going to play at a fellow dj's house, plus always asking people to rearrange their stuff so i could play just made me uncomfortable. nice now to be able to just play, whenever whereever.

Molbster
03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
i am not a real fan of controllers unless you can beatmatch on them. i did the midi thing early and to be honest it set me back as far as djing skills go. and i hated having to lug my stuff around. even when i was going to play at a fellow dj's house, plus always asking people to rearrange their stuff so i could play just made me uncomfortable. nice now to be able to just play, whenever whereever.

Never had the problem, tbh. I learned on "analog" then went computer/midi. If i need to bring out my controller, it's mostly because the place doesn't have any gear whatsoever. If it's a bar or something and already has gear, i know how to play on it.

It's all personal discipline. I made sure i did things the hard way like beatmach without any visual references (i learned on a computer how to beatmatch but had the screen covered), or place the monitors in different parts of the room and/or turn them facing a corner to simulate odd sound characteristics i might encounter. Some people don't have that sort of self-discipline (not pointing you out or anything).

BurntToast
03-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Might want to get on eBay and check it pretty often. You can find 2 CDJ-200's and low end mixer for around $500 every once in a while. I just got a pair of CDJ-200's and a DJM-400 for just over $700. As mentioned previously, the headphones, speakers, cables, etc. are peripheral expenses that will quickly put you over your budget.

MeowMix
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
If you really want CDJs you can go with a Numark Mixdeck (all-in-one 2cds+mixer unit that you can get used from 500-600). It is midi capable so you can also later connect it to a software. But as some have said if you want to go the pure ground up method, its turntables and a mixer + records (which add up in cost).

If you have the discipline not to push sync and look at BPM counter or waveforms you can always get software with a midi controller and still learn from the ground up using mp3s (the cheapest route).

KLH
03-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I say get the S2 and some nice headphones. If you don't have a computer, then don't buy anything and save until you double your budget...

-KLH

ampnation
03-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Your best bets IMO...

First, get a bigger budget if you want gear that will last you longer as you advance.

Second, I would look at Denon used on craigslist. Don't get the lowest level equipment and try to get stuff that isn't discontinued, or was very recently discontinued.

Caveat: If you plan on playing clubs, you might consider sticking with Pioneer because that is by far the most common equipment in clubs. You might want to check your local clubs to determine which particular models are being used. Chances are the decks will be Pioneer or Technics 1200 turntables. The mixer is less predictable, but common club mixers are Pioneer, Rane and Allen & Heath I do believe.

Check back here before you buy. People here have experience with just about any gear you will find and can advice on the pros and cons of each.

mann1n
03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Maybe get a controller for now and work up till you have a larger budget? The Mixtrack Pro is a smart little piece of kit and while mastering and perfecting your skills with that you can save.