PDA

View Full Version : Website Feedback Please

Nigel Looney
03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
I have just a basic site that I have been using the last year just to give my clients an idea of what I can do. I do not get very much feedback on the site, so I was wondering if I could get some professional advice. I want to make sure that my website is attracting potential brides and not sending them to someone else.

www.LooneyDJServices.com

Thanks!

jazzyj
03-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Just a couple of things

- On the Contact page, Where you list your fave vendors/venues. Make the Heading for that "Favorite Venues/Vendors" different from the actual listing. I tried to click on it thinking it was a link - so maybe make it a size bigger with italics or I dunno something different than the links below it.

- This is not really about the page, but your setup actually looks nice, except the wires. You need some black gaffe tape to get rid of those lil saggy loops near the plugins of the lights, speakers; then I think you'd be set.

Love all the pics and videos - great job on that. And although it's not all flashy, I like the fact that it's a clean looking site! :) Kudos!

wilson
03-14-2012, 07:51 AM
I really like both your website and setup. Like j said, nothing crazy. Just simple, nice and clean.

Sween
03-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I think it is simple and clean.

But...

--WHERE are you? What areas do you serve? Belongs on the front page.
--Phone Number and email should be on front page.
--Contact Form would help people know what to tell you instead of just an email.
--Simple is good, but I think a little more information about your business, yourself, etc would help people feel more confident in booking you.

But still really good, and the photos are good.

Badger
03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
I agree that the site looks nice, but I also agree that it's a bit too simple. Like Sween said, a little more biographical information would work wonders here. After all, since you're not a multi-op DJ service, you're really selling yourself along with the package... so, if possible, you might consider adding a "Bio" page to let people know a bit more about yourself, your experience, etc.

With all due respect, the layout just screams "template." I've seen a lot of DJ websites over the last several years, and this one looks like it was put together with an automated website builder. I'm not saying that you need lots of bells and whistles, but this doesn't offer much to really separate it visually from a lot of the other DJ websites out there.

For some reason, whenever I move from page to page in the "Photos" area, on my PC it bogs down like mad and freezes up the IE . I'm using Internet Explorer 8 (not my preferred browser, but it's what I've got here) on a fairly new PC.

Finally, please take note of this sentence on that "My Photos" page:

"Just some of the many events I have had the honor of providing entertainment for over the last few years."
Grammatically, this is really awkward. Putting the "for" between "entertainment" and "over" is murderous to the flow of the sentence.

In addition, I recommend changing "I have" to "I've," just because it helps the sentence roll along better, but "I have" is obviously still proper and if that's what you'd prefer, there's no problem there.

I'd recommend this:

"Just some of the many events for which I've had the honor of providing entertainment over the last few years."
Or, if you want to be completely correct from a grammar standpoint, try this:

"Here are just some of the many events for which I have had the honor of providing entertainment over the last few years."

Overall, it is really not a bad looking website at all; I've seen a lot, LOT worse. With a few changes, though, this could be drastically improved.

Good luck to you!

:badger:

sse
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Nice site, but like others said, you need more biographical info on the front page.

For example, say a bride searches "wedding DJ in TownX, Georgia" Since you don't have any any place on your site that says what town you are in/or what area(s) you serve, you probably won't come up in a search engine for a bride looking for a dj in TownX.

Also I took a peek at the codeing, and I don't see any meta data for "keywords" and "description". This iere are s something that the search engines use in their crawls. Get that meta data in the code and it will help you to rank higher on search engines.

Your pics are great, but, IMHO...
Get ride of the "scenic" pictures. If they don't have people partying on the dance floor, it dosent help much.
Also I see a lot of pics of empty dance floors. A few are nice to show what your setup looks like, but you want to concentrate on pics of people having fun.

Also the videos are good, I assume, but I couldn't view them because it required the quicktime plugin (which I refuse to use). A lot of people will not view them if they have to install something extra on their computer. Put them in a format, or embed them with a site like youtube, so EVERYone can see them with out jumpin through hoops.

Nigel Looney
03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks I will take all the feedback and update the site. If there is anything else you all can think of please let me know. I really appreciate all of the knowledge that I have gained from all of you over the past few years.

Ntertainment
03-14-2012, 10:16 PM
are you a photographer or a DJ?? Ditch some of the photos they are overwhelming!

Mike D
03-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Change your font, the homepage just seems chinsy... I guess would be the word I'd use. It's like you just took a word doc and copied it.

I like your photos, but hardly any are actually of you. Are you selling cakes, decorations, dresses, etc? Pics are wonderful to have, but make sure they are focused. Not everyone has to be of you, but get people dancing more then just pictures of halls, get your lights in the background, get brides dancing, etc. It really does look like your a photographer more than a DJ.

Where's your gear? You have pics but I know nothing of you. If you want to attract brides you need to focus your site on brides solely. Make two sites if need be where people pick when they go to your home page "weddings" or "everything else" for example. For all I know you bought a camera, went to someone's wedding and took pics.

This isn't really something you can change, but your name is a bit off. People typically don't want to think of their wedding DJ as weird, and well, Looney DJ Service gives that feeling like your, well, a Loony Tune. I realize it's your name, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Add a page for services and/or what you do at a wedding. As it is you're not selling to brides, it's just a site for a DJ. Hope that makes sense.