PDA

View Full Version : Is an amplifier really necessary ?

DjEvesis
02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
So here's a really easy question !

Let's say I have two CDJ's hooked up to a mixer. The mixer is hooked up to a computer via RCA cables. Can I directly plug my computer to speakers, or do I need an amplifier ? I'm pretty sure the computer can amplify the sound by itself, right ? It would be for bedroom djing, nothing more.
Thanks ! :)

Jason Cerna
02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
no, you don't need an amp.

Rothgery
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
What kind of speakers are you plugging into?

DjEvesis
02-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I thought about some krk speakers, like these http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H7526LL/A
Good idea ?

Rothgery
02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
yeah those are powered so you will not need a separate amp - you will have to get a minijack to RCA to connect them to your computer, but do not buy them from the Apple store - you can get a better deal pretty much anywhere. Best buy even sells them, though you will have to price match to get a deal there :tup:

Jason Cerna
02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I thought about some krk speakers, like these http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H7526LL/A
Good idea ?

those will be fine for home use. and they are already powered so no other equipment will be required.

DjEvesis
02-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for your help guys ! So glad djforums is back :D

Rothgery
02-05-2012, 03:44 PM
np man :tup:

JohnnyGraz
02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Rule of thumb. MOST Computer/Studio speakers will be powered. When it comes to larger/PA speakers, the words Active/Powered and Passive are of utter importance. Active/Powered speakers house there own power/amplifying source while Passive speakers require an external Amplification source. Hope this helps!

de.j.l
02-05-2012, 08:34 PM
those KRK's are good studio monitors, my advice to you is treat them well and they will do the same for you(also great in the future if you would like to go into production.)

Personal advice for the future if you ever end up buying p.a speakers
if you're doing small shows, active is fine but if you plan on bigger shows..get one solid amp, and go passive. Its a little more work but your ears will thank you once you hit the high end of your stereo.

djkvg
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
you're plugging the RCA cables straight into your computer? are u mixing using your computer or using CDs?

Andrew B
02-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Good idea ?

Yep, just plug them directly into your mixer. No reason to go through a computer.

As was said, look elsewhere to buy them.

KLH
02-07-2012, 08:54 AM
^ Great seeing you again, Andrew B.

The only thing that I'd add is to realize that NOT using a high-quality sound system tends to make music sound good enough when it may not be when played through PA speakers. ALWAYS remember to keep your music as high-quality as possible.

-KLH

DJ Highline
02-08-2012, 10:03 AM
You will always need an amplifier...the question is where is the amplifier located? Is it internal (powered/active) or external (non-powered/passive). Almost all computer speakers are powered and you can just plug right into them. But this is an idea you should keep in mind when you look to get bigger speakers. One is not better than the other just different.