PDA

View Full Version : Djf

sephi
02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
I found this place about a decade ago when I was a kid who had just purchased his first turntables and three cheesy trance records. I was in a total vacuum, living in the middle of nowhere, with nobody to follow irl. Being able to lurk in discussions between DJs all over the globe on DJF was so useful that, when I started playing out, my baseline standards for gear, programming, managing my collection, etc. were on a level beyond that of the locals with whom I was just starting to share the stage. Thanks to this site, I was playing out my own edits on Scratch Live, disregarding genres, mixing harmonically, tackling 6-hour marathon sets, and practicing turntablism while many of my peers were still struggling to play two records at the same speed within their pet genres. Whenever local music scene politics would start to matter to me, I'd drop back into DJF and be reminded that there's a huge world out there, the local scene is just a blip on the radar, and nobody should be discouraged even if they're located in a place where there aren't a lot of chances to learn and grow. How to DJ Right (should be mandatory reading, even if the tech is dated), this forum, and practice/experience are all I've had to go on, and I can honestly say it's been for the better. I stopped DJing some time ago, but I still drop in just to stay up to speed, and hopefully pass on something that I've learned on occasion. There are vastly more resources out there now that EDM is a massive mainstream juggernaut, but when someone asks me how to get started, this is where I send them.

Just wanted to throw that out there. Carry on.

alencr
02-06-2014, 01:49 PM
This is indeed a nice place because of all the hobbies I've had only photography and music<DJing matter.
I will be here for a long time.

diceallion
02-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Im with you Allen, its going to be a great journey and learning process... is it your birthday yet?

alencr
02-06-2014, 03:27 PM
No, but thanks :)
I will try to make some money inbetween, I will give freelancing a try (because I'm a graphic designer and I go to a graphic school but I'm not really practising enough because I need examples for my portfolio which isn't in existence yet.

Djf is such a nice place, it's a pity that djf 1.0 disappeared, lots of information gone from then.

Adzm00
02-14-2014, 10:09 AM
I might be in need of graphic designs but it is for stuff I don't make money on so cannot give money for it. That said let me know if you are interested as any work you actually do for companies and artists no matter how big/small can be put into your portfolio at least (if you wanted that sort of thing that is, everything can be done professionally, working to a spec and credit given where due etc.).

alencr
02-14-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm not a pro but I know some things and I'm learning every day.
Always looking forward to helping for free, at least I get an idea and get to work on it and at the same time developing skills and work history.

thehadgi
02-14-2014, 11:46 AM
nice, i as well have gained much from this site and find it a great community :school: