PDA

View Full Version : Dubstep Magazine Research

charsville
02-05-2014, 04:00 AM
I am doing research for the creation of a Dusbtep magazine and I need to know what it is a Dubstepper is like and what they do etc.

Please could you comment below or even better on here: http://reececharsvillemedia.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/target-audience-opinion.html

Thank you

Reece

disparate
02-05-2014, 04:43 AM
Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talking about how someone who's into dubstep dresses, does for a living, what attitudes they have etc or am I missing the point? It's never a style I've associated with a particular dress or lifestyle, maybe hanging around at F>W>D in a baggy t-shirt holding a can of Red Stripe? ;)

Seems a bit weird to be doing this in 2014 for a genre that was fresh and vital 10 years ago and whose originators have mostly either moved onto other genres or are purist to the point of seeming conservative, but best of luck :tup:

charsville
02-10-2014, 03:49 PM
I need peoples opinions on what they would consider someone who listens to dubstep to be like, and by be like, i mean everyday things such as dress sense, hobbies, attitudes, etc.

The genre is still growing it may not be like it was 10 years ago but there are still people out there who listen to various types of dubstep, and those are my target audience

disparate
02-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Ok no worries, I guess I'll try and think about it. It's hard because dubstep, despite it being one of the most stylistically unique genres to emerge in the last decade or so, isn't quite like movements like punk or metal that had an obvious lifestyle element that encompasses clothes, attitudes, etc. and to me it would be pretty tenuous to try and make dubstep out as a similarly involved "lifestyle" thing. Not sure what this is down to - it's not necessarily to do with time, as other musical styles in the 00s have had much more obvious followers, like emo kids for example. I guess musics that have strong lifestyle components tend to be those more based in rebellion and/or emotion (punk, metal, emo, etc) rather than just being part of a slightly geeky scene making a fresh style of music, which is what dubstep started up as. In saying that even drum n bass, house and "rave" had identifiable subcultures when they started, but I think that sort of thing died out in dance music by around the late 90s. There's signifiers here and there, like deep V-necks worn by tech-house bros or electro-house fans tending towards bright colours, but nothing that noticeable.

I don't think I could pick out a dubstep fan walking down the street unless they were wearing something really obvious like one of these "dubstep" Run-DMC style t-shirts or record label merch or something. As for other hobbies, attitudes, etc, not sure - guess they're probably a bit more likely to smoke weed than the average person, maybe they'd have dreadlocks or other references to Jamaican music/Rastafarianism, probably baggy rather than tight clothes. This is all referring to "original" dubstep fans, bro-step would be completely different, that's probably just mainstream American teenagers or frat boys.

It was mostly just started by fairly normal people who'd spent some time going to raves and listening to pirate radio then the sound coalesced around people playing and giving each other CDRs and dubplates at a monthly club night. At the time a dubstepper was probably young (late teens/early 20s) and from London, although obviously things have changed loads since then.

Would love to hear some others' opinions, I might be completely wrong. Have you tried asking at dubstepforum.com? (I assume that's still on the go, I check it once in a while as the production forum can throw up some interesting chat...)