PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

DJ Looped
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
My mate gave me a set of decks the other day. They work fine only problem is they are belt driven. Iv never used decks in my life and i know its going to take time before i can beatmatch or anything like that. But i was just wondering could anybody give me some advice on what software to use to record my mixes and stuff like that. Any tips about how to mix and stuff would be appreciated as well.. Thanks..

DJ Matt
03-13-2012, 05:08 PM
you can use a program called "audacity" to record your mixes, its free and you can make some basic edits to the mixes after

tips on mixing:

take your time, dont feel under pressure to "mess" with the music

let the songs do their thing

take your time and fine tune the speed of the incoming song before you drop it in

in most dance music there is an optimum time to mix out of into certain tracks, find those points, they can vary depending on what your mixing into what

then drop in the song on that point. while both songs play simultaneusly, keep close eye on the incoming song and keep it in time making small adjustment if necessary , try not to nudge or drag the song that is playing on the PA system, always adjust the incoming song, preferrably when its only playing in your heaphones

one thing i like to do sometimes is i bring in song B with the bas turned down at first, then i make a switch by dropping the bass of song A while at the same time boosting the bass on song B to its correct position so it comes in with a bang!

good luck!

DJ Looped
03-13-2012, 05:10 PM
I just have a standard mixer. I cant change the bass on either channel. What sort of mixer is best to get? my decks are like 15 years old so im going to start saving for a new set. Any preferences?

DJ Matt
03-13-2012, 05:35 PM
i recommend you stick with the mixer you have for the moment , its enough for you to get the basics down and its better to learn to get good mixes without being dependent on thos kind of features, when you have them you should use them discreetly for an extra kick, but not to replace good mixing

the only set of relaible turntables IMHO are technics, but im a bit old skool, im sure there are a few other models and brands such as vestax that are "ok"

you can be lucky sometiems with belt drives, i had a set before that were not bad at all

but if the wheels are spinning way to freeley and playing faster for several seconds after even the slightest nudge, this makes your life very hard

a good deck will return to its normal speed right after you nudge it

but at the end of the day, this practise will make you a strong DJ who appreciates the luxuries if and when you decide to fork out for them

:)

DJ Looped
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
cheers mate really apreciate your help :)