PDA

View Full Version : Scanner for custom acetate gobos

Cornerstone
01-31-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm looking to buy a couple scanners. I want them to use 50W+ bulbs. I would like to use custom gobos on acetate (thick transparency sheets). A lot of the scanners I'm considering support interchangeable gobos. However, I'm worried about the heat they will produce. I don't want the acetate gobos to melt. I called American DJ and they said none of their products would support acetate gobos. I called Chauvet and they said none of their scanners would work; but they thought their Intimidator Spot LED 250 would successfully use acetate gobos without melting them.

Does anyone here have experience with custom gobos on acetate in intelligent lighting? Any ideas on additional scanners or moving head lights that could do this?

BillESC
02-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Apollo Design makes a product called PrintScenic in both plastic and glass for LED fixtures. Shoot me an email and I'll check the Spot 250 on Monday with my Rep.

sss18734
02-01-2014, 08:56 PM
I haven't tried the acetate gobos, but my Intimidator 350's and 450's stay very cool to the touch. Even changing gobos after several hours of use, the gobos themselves are just barely warm. Of course I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if they produced enough heat to melt anything.

Cornerstone
02-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Bill - You have email.

sss18734 - That's encouraging to hear. Regardless of what scanner or moving head I get, I'll put acetate in it and keep a close eye on things to make sure no melting occurs.