PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard the 700 watt digital RCF 705-AS Sub? What is your 2 cents?

Evolved
03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Reactions/Input? How does it sound with a single set nice tops like 312A's or 310n's?

CQE DJs
03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
I have the 718AS subs and they are fantastic. I can't vouch for the 705 but if you are interested the 718 are legit subs. I used 2 of them with my 312s and at times I think the subs outperformed the tops. I was doing an event for 200 ppl and the subs were fantastic. No complaints at all from me and I know I could have pushed them a lot more. There were points in some songs where I felt i would see the limiters come on and they didn't. I only had the gain on half way too. So I think I could have gotten a lot more out of them. I posted some pics in the post your setup thread.

Any reason you are leaning towards the 705 and not the 718?

Evolved
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I have the 718AS subs and they are fantastic. I can't vouch for the 705 but if you are interested the 718 are legit subs. I used 2 of them with my 312s and at times I think the subs outperformed the tops. I was doing an event for 200 ppl and the subs were fantastic. No complaints at all from me and I know I could have pushed them a lot more. There were points in some songs where I felt i would see the limiters come on and they didn't. I only had the gain on half way too. So I think I could have gotten a lot more out of them. I posted some pics in the post your setup thread.

Any reason you are leaning towards the 705 and not the 718?

Can you list all reasons you can think of for needing an 18" over a 15" sub? Is a bigger sub mainly needed based on the size of the gig? The impression I have had is that (and I would be doing outdoor gigs as well) two 15" subs with RCF-312-A tops would get the job done for 200-250. Right now my budget allows for about a grand and I'm willing to go a bit over for a nice sub and heard good things about the 15" RCF 705 series - but this 700 watt digital amp sub I believe is pretty new and thought I'd invest in that one over the older version RCF 705-AS 800 what H class Amp. But ultimately just one sub for now.

I did this one gig out doors before although I really wanted some good bass to fill out the overall experience, but I didn't want it to be hard to hear bass. I want to do it right if I can with a single. It would be nice to know that if I faced this new RCF sub against a wall centered behind the top at an outdoor gig that it would work out. Or would I REALLY need a second? Just not sure - wanted some reactions.

CQE DJs
03-13-2012, 11:14 PM
You get a little more SPL out of the 18 compared to the 15" plus it will also go lower. When i first got mine i purchased just one (with the plan of getting a 2nd, just needed to unload some other gear). I tested it outside with just 1 312 and it sounded great. You would start to lose it a little quickly the further away you walked, but it is just 1 sub. I added the 2nd and it made a world of difference. I think these really work well in pairs and should be paired up especially for outdoor gigs. I think you can possibly get away with doing just 1 outside but you wont really get as loud as you think. I think a pair of 18's will certainly be what you are lookign for.

If you can handle the weight and moving it around, a single sub option in your range would be the Yorkville LS801p. There are a ton of threads on it, there really isn't a single sub that will touch it SPL wise in that price range. 2 of the RCF 18's will probaly set you back more than $2500, but I honestly don't think you will be happy with jsut 1 if you are lookign to do those outdoor gigs and want a high SPL.

Evolved
03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
You get a little more SPL out of the 18 compared to the 15" plus it will also go lower. When i first got mine i purchased just one (with the plan of getting a 2nd, just needed to unload some other gear). I tested it outside with just 1 312 and it sounded great. You would start to lose it a little quickly the further away you walked, but it is just 1 sub. I added the 2nd and it made a world of difference. I think these really work well in pairs and should be paired up especially for outdoor gigs. I think you can possibly get away with doing just 1 outside but you wont really get as loud as you think. I think a pair of 18's will certainly be what you are lookign for.

If you can handle the weight and moving it around, a single sub option in your range would be the Yorkville LS801p. There are a ton of threads on it, there really isn't a single sub that will touch it SPL wise in that price range. 2 of the RCF 18's will probaly set you back more than $2500, but I honestly don't think you will be happy with jsut 1 if you are lookign to do those outdoor gigs and want a high SPL.

Having never used a sub before I am not sure if one is high enough (spl level/loud enough). For this outdoor gig I was thinking of having it fire into a wall behind me to see if that may maximize the coverage. I just didn't want to drop 2500 bucks although the RCF subs have the HP filter and I was really thinking that is important because I am hoping that if I add that with the 2 312A tops it will maximize my sound all together. Perhaps 1 18" RCF would be better, but as you say one may not be enough. I don't want a crazy amount of constant bass booming, I just want it to be plentiful. Because its an 'outdoor gig' I gues I am just worried about bothering with one 15" sub to give me a decent amount of bass as well. So perhaps the coverage is what im more concerned about and having two of them would certainly help that for 200-300 people at an outdoor gig.

CQE DJs
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
You have to think you are outdoors. Sound will dispate much faster outside then it ever will inside. 300 people is a lot to have sound for outside. With that said if you just want to fill in your low end and not have booming bass you can probably get away with just 1. Although 2 will be much better.

ampnation
03-20-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm looking at the FR graph for the 705AS http://www.rcf.it/en_US/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=2587395&folderId=4259617&name=DLFE-10703.pdf (and 718AS) and am surprised at how steep the slope is on these. I've always heard good things about these subs and the graph wouldn't lead me to believe these are very good performers for someone wanting bass for dance music. Their graphs look like a conehead (Sat. Night Live) peaking at about 70Hz. The 705 is just over 110db @ 50Hz and just over 100db @ 40Hz.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Another question on these... The Xover function description in the manual says

Xover switch: this switch sets the crossover frequency of the OUTPUT SIGNAL at 80 Hz or 120 Hz.
It is clear that the output is high passed to whatever the xover is set to and it would seem logical that the signal passed to the sub driver be adjusted by the same control but it doesn't explicitly state that.

Anyone know if this is true? Have you ever encounted an active sub with a xover/hpf setting that didn't adjust BOTH the external output and the internal (to the sub) signal?

Evolved
03-20-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm looking at the FR graph for the 705AS http://www.rcf.it/en_US/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=2587395&folderId=4259617&name=DLFE-10703.pdf (and 718AS) and am surprised at how steep the slope is on these. I've always heard good things about these subs and the graph wouldn't lead me to believe these are very good performers for someone wanting bass for dance music. Their graphs look like a conehead (Sat. Night Live) peaking at about 70Hz. The 705 is just over 110db @ 50Hz and just over 100db @ 40Hz.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Another question on these... The Xover function description in the manual says

It is clear that the output is high passed to whatever the xover is set to and it would seem logical that the signal passed to the sub driver be adjusted by the same control but it doesn't explicitly state that.

Anyone know if this is true? Have you ever encounted an active sub with a xover/hpf setting that didn't adjust BOTH the external output and the internal (to the sub) signal?

Are you referring to the control in the same way that you can adjust the Yorkville subs like the 720p?

ampnation
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Are you referring to the control in the same way that you can adjust the Yorkville subs like the 720p?

Yes, on the 705-AS the control allows a setting between 80 and 120 Hz. I believe the 720p has a similar control but not sure what range of crossover frequencies. Also included in this question would be those which only allow two or three preset frequencies like 80 and 100 Hz.

DYM
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
My 0.02 cents..... go with a Yorkville LS801PB with your RCFs.. get a crossover (DBX 324) and BAM... should do a hell of a job. Takes the stress off the RCFs, sub fills the low end, and the SPL level is fantastic.

CQE DJs
03-20-2012, 09:33 PM
The crossover section of the subs send the output signal up and over the level you choose. So if you choose 80 Hz for the crossover, the sub will take everything below 80 and the tops will take everything over 80. If you choose 120hz then the sub will take everything under 120 and the tops will take everything over 120. Simple as that.

The 718 are certainly good for dance music. They sound fantastic! They may not be as loud and boomy as the yorkville (not many are), but the sound quality of the RCF are just amazing. You hear every note crystal clear.

SummitAudioDJ
04-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I have the ART 905AS which is very similar in nature to the 705AS and run it with my ART 312A's and 310's all the time. It is the perfect compliment for these speakers. If you want in your face chest hurting bass then one will not do the trick, look for a pair of 18's or dual 18 cabs. For an overall rounded sound for weddings and events not needing shake youre eyebrows bass, they are perfect.