PDA

View Full Version : ADJ Flat Par Tri 7X's or Blizzard Puck 3NX's

Cornerstone
01-29-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm still pretty new to DJing. I'm getting some of my first lights, and I wanted some opinions on whether I should get the ADJ Flat Par Tri 7X's or the Blizzard Puck 3NX's. I plan to use these lights to wash the dance floor initially (perhaps with some filters). This will be for weddings and middle school dances. Later, I plan to use these for uplighting when I get some higher-priced weddings. Basically, I'll need some lights that are versatile.

I can get the Flat Par Tri 7X's for a little cheaper than the Blizzard lights, but not enough to make an incredible amount of difference in decision making. What do you guys think?

BillESC
01-29-2014, 08:19 PM
The ADJ Tri 7X's offer 7x 3w tri diodes for $ 149.99 MAP. The Blizzard 3NX's have been discontinued but offered 9x 3w tri diodes.

The closest offerings from Blizzard are the Puck Fab5 which gives you 7x 15w RGBAW diodes with a MAP of $ 255.55 or the HotBox RGB A or W with 7x 10w quad diodes and MAPs at $ 249.99

As you can see, for about a hundred bucks more at MAP, your getting four times the output or more and a larger color palette.

VJ LouNYC
01-29-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm still pretty new to DJing. I'm getting some of my first lights, and I wanted some opinions on whether I should get the ADJ Flat Par Tri 7X's or the Blizzard Puck 3NX's. I plan to use these lights to wash the dance floor initially (perhaps with some filters). This will be for weddings and middle school dances. Later, I plan to use these for uplighting when I get some higher-priced weddings. Basically, I'll need some lights that are versatile.

I can get the Flat Par Tri 7X's for a little cheaper than the Blizzard lights, but not enough to make an incredible amount of difference in decision making. What do you guys think?

American DJ has some new lights coming out that are very bright and a great price point. You may want to wait for them to come out.

VJ LouNYC
01-29-2014, 08:25 PM
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzDI0VLgRQ

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjisjcWYlf0

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V96jq9oupR4 (not new but $150)

Cornerstone
01-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Wow. Great help, guys. Some of those lights look amazing. I especially liked the UV integration, which would be great for the junior high dances.

My only question is whether or not the increased power (4x) would be worth it from an uplighting standpoint. If I'll have to eventually buy 20 or 30 of these, that will get pretty pricey at $250 per light. Or maybe I'll have the need for high-powered wash lights and uplights enough so to make at least a few of these worth it?? These would definitely be good to wash the dance floor with. How many do you think would be needed to wash half a basketball court (roughly the size of the room where junior high dances are held)?

BillESC
01-30-2014, 08:33 AM
The thing about lighting . . . you can dim it if its too bright but you can't make a dim light brighter.

We're talking about tools here that are used in the performance of a service from which you make money. If you charge 10% of the replacement cost every time you use the tools it only takes 10 rental until you've recouped your money. It is not unreasonable to expect these fixtures to work hundreds of times over their service life. The initial cost means little compared to the potential profit.

robare99
01-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Wow the 3NX are discontinued?

I guess that makes my decision for a other 6 of either 3NX or fab5.

BillESC
01-30-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm a dealer for both lines and ship to Canada.

Cornerstone
01-30-2014, 06:34 PM
I stopped by Guitar Center today to pick up an effect light that I ordered (Chauvet Eclipse RGB - $80). The rep who I spoke to gave me feedback that I didn't expect. He simply recommended a Chauvet Colorstrip and a couple Chauvet Slimpar 64's to wash the floor for the upcoming junior high dance I have in three weeks. His reasoning was that the kids will want a darker dance floor and will feel more comfortable with it. Thoughts?

Given that the junior high committed to me today, that event is getting priority number one for me.

Bill, I'll give you a call in the next couple days.

VJ LouNYC
01-30-2014, 09:10 PM
I think spending money on cheaper lights is a waste of money. Buy right the first time.

DJzrule
01-30-2014, 10:33 PM
I stopped by Guitar Center today to pick up an effect light that I ordered (Chauvet Eclipse RGB - $80). The rep who I spoke to gave me feedback that I didn't expect. He simply recommended a Chauvet Colorstrip and a couple Chauvet Slimpar 64's to wash the floor for the upcoming junior high dance I have in three weeks. His reasoning was that the kids will want a darker dance floor and will feel more comfortable with it. Thoughts?

Given that the junior high committed to me today, that event is getting priority number one for me.

Bill, I'll give you a call in the next couple days.

The only advice I'd take from a GC employee is which way is the door, and where is the bathroom. They're not useful past that. His suggestion was terrible btw.

GaFFLe
01-31-2014, 11:31 AM
The only advice I'd take from a GC employee is which way is the door...
LOL! Funny!

Cornerstone
01-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Man, thanks for the great advice, guys. I'll probably go with one of the two options Bill presented and will give him a call later today.