PDA

View Full Version : sicmats vs butter rugs

samga
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
planning on buying a pair of sicmat slipmats. are they as good as butter rugs ? I dont scratch too often but id like to start doing it more. i googled it and they seem to be good but thought id get a second opinion from anyone on here that owns them

mars.shosh1n
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I've got some butter rugs on a pair of 10+ year old md3's, and love it.

But I gotta say -- it all depends on the torque of the platter, and how the record was pressed. I've got a couple plates that just stick like they were made of honey. Might just be a matter of boring the spindle-hole (lol). Most of my battlewax glides nice and smooth though.

Finnish_Fox
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
I've got some butter rugs on a pair of 10+ year old md3's, and love it.

Are they an improvement on wax paper? I just got some new decks and they came with butter rugs, but I am having a hard time seeing the improvement, though I am not a scratch DJ so I may not be able to notice to begin with.

mars.shosh1n
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Are they an improvement on wax paper? I just got some new decks and they came with butter rugs, but I am having a hard time seeing the improvement, though I am not a scratch DJ so I may not be able to notice to begin with.

Can't say it's a definite win over wax paper, though I do prefer the butter rugs to nothing! For scratching I'd say that it has helped me, though I wouldn't call it 'significant'.

howitzer
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Ive tried both out. Butter rugs take the edge, but may even be too slippy for some.

Sicmats are still lovely slipmats though. I dont think you'd be dissapointed with either, theyre so cheap why not try both out?

mars.shosh1n
03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
theyre so cheap why not try both out?

Yeah, what he said.

HBBoogie
03-13-2012, 06:12 PM

I went from Sicmats w/Flying Carpets to Butter Rugs and then back to Sicmats w/Flying Carpets. I thought the butter rugs were going to be way more slipperier than the Sicmats, but the difference wasn't that noticeable. I ended up giving away my butter rugs away to a friend because I hated how they always stuck to my record whenever I would lift the record off the platter. Kept the Butter Rugs Sleeve as decoration though.:lol:

JuxtaPoser
03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I use Frosted Plates with Flying Carpets underneath and I find it absolutely perfect. Going back to using standard slipmats just feels awkward now.

samga
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Ive tried both out. Butter rugs take the edge, but may even be too slippy for some.

Sicmats are still lovely slipmats though. I dont think you'd be dissapointed with either, theyre so cheap why not try both out?

to be honest with you, a pair of butter rugs came with my techs, but its weird sometimes they're really slippy and sometimes they're not. im assuming its the size of the hole in the record. I'm gonna order a pair of sicmats just because i think they look so nice.

Ive gotten used to the slipmats not being so slippy, so when they are it kind of screws with me. is it recommended to scratch on slippier slipmats? Because if not i might just stay with what im used to, but if it is ill try and get used to them being slippier