PDA

View Full Version : S2 or Pioneer DDJ-T1?

Happy Trees
03-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi guys,

I've read all the varying opinions about the actual equipment on the forum here, but I guess I need some further re-assurance in an all in one reply thread.

I'm ready to step up a bit in my DJing realm.

Here's the dilemma:

I have never touched CDJs before. It is all strictly my own lower end controller and so forth at this moment.

I am now getting to the point where in the near future, I might be asked to DJ at a local club that uses CDJ 1000s and a DJM 800.

I am allowed to bring a controller and plug into the house PA without issue, but I'd really like to feel comfortable with something approximating CDJs.

Enter the Pioneer DDJ-T1.

That being said, I really love Traktor Pro's ability to tweak things and play with samples.

I am leaning towards getting the S2 with the price drop and my love of tweaking.

I've seen that the Pioneer has some of these tweaks available, and feels like the standard club Pioneer layout.

I think that I can always pick up a couple of used CDJ 400s at a later point and use the S2 with an audio 6 card and the software if I want to go that route, but I don't know how closely this might mimic a proper booth setup.

Or, I can drop the 550 for a used Pioneer, or near a grand for a new one, and be done with it.

At the end of the day,

1) used CDJ 400s+used Traktor 6 (used or new)+new S2=roughly 1000-1250

2) Pioneer unit for about a grand new, or 550-600 used

Again, I'm leaning towards the S2 and adding other components, but I don't know if that setup, or getting started with a controller upgrade will be of any help at all using CDJs.

I decided against the S4 for now, since I would rather get the S2 and put the effort into saving up for the used CDJs, should that be the option.

I welcome any and all opinions.

Thanks.