PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF 3STYLE RD1 - USA HEAT - OCIE vs RAPHAEL JOHN vs SWINE

JonAvalon
03-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Video 1

http://vimeo.com/38145562

Video 2

http://youtu.be/qt_J0JGBEFU

Video 3

http://vimeo.com/38138224

Rules:
- 15 minutes
- Video & Audio recordings required (post to vimeo/youtube)
- Include at least 3 DIFFERENT genres of your choice, but would be able to rock any mainstream crowd (aka, get fucking creative!)
- Turntables and/or CDJs permitted w/ your choice of accompanying DVS and controllers (if you choose to use them).
- Solo MIDI controllers are not permitted. You must use CDJs or turntables as your primary mixing tools.

* Winner of heat will go up against the winner of the other thread *Link* (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?3600-DJF-3STYLE-RD1-UK-CANADA-HEAT-JUXTAPOSER-vs-SAMIJON)

Ocie
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I'll have to check these out later on in the week y'all.

swine
03-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jon!!! Good luck everyone. I'm going to watch the videos in a bit.

JuxtaPoser
03-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Like the mixes guys. Just a quick question for you all/Nick Bike: Are we allowed to vote on each other's mixes? ie, can I vote on this heat as I'm in the other one?

Ocie
03-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Like the mixes guys. Just a quick question for you all/Nick Bike: Are we allowed to vote on each other's mixes? ie, can I vote on this heat as I'm in the other one?

I was wondering the same! Let a brotha know.

swine
03-13-2012, 12:06 AM
edit: Damn Raphael, did you do preproduction? Some of those mixes lost me.. Guess I'll have to watch it again

samga
03-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Damn Sagma, did you do preproduction? Some of those mixes lost me.. Guess I'll have to watch it again

im in the other heat, but in mine yes i used a few edits like acap outs, is that what you mean by preproduction? i put my laptop down on the table to have my screen in the video as well so you guys can see what im doin

edit: i voted in this one, didnt know i wasnt allowed to, sorry guys

swine
03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
^ oops dont know why i got yours confused with Raphael John. Your vid is pretty money though, liked how you actually used the keyboard short cuts. Also love the xone22

RaphaelJohn
03-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Nope, no preproduction. I don't know how to produce yet. I have cue points and loops set up. I used acapellas too. A good portion of it were live mashups, and a couple were edits/remixes I got from mp3 pools. Did it lose you in a good or bad way? Open to comments. Oh, and my song list is on my youtube page, and what sounded pre-produced to you?

EDIT: Ok, I was reading it wrong. Some of the songs I used were pre-produced (remixed by other DJ's). But there are still a couple live mashups I did on my own.

samga
03-13-2012, 01:18 AM
^ oops dont know why i got yours confused with Raphael John. Your vid is pretty money though, liked how you actually used the keyboard short cuts. Also love the xone22

thanks man, appreciate it

Nick Bike
03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
yeah feel free to vote in the other threads

JuxtaPoser
03-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I think my vote has to go to mix number 2, whoever that was. Good efforts all round though!

<3 FLOCKAVICII

swine
03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Nope, no preproduction. I don't know how to produce yet. I have cue points and loops set up. I used acapellas too. A good portion of it were live mashups, and a couple were edits/remixes I got from mp3 pools. Did it lose you in a good or bad way? Open to comments. Oh, and my song list is on my youtube page, and what sounded pre-produced to you?

EDIT: Ok, I was reading it wrong. Some of the songs I used were pre-produced (remixed by other DJ's). But there are still a couple live mashups I did on my own.

That was it! I was getting fucked with because with your track listing i was going track for track when sometimes two of those tracks were mashed up (in one track) :D
Really liked the rack city remix too. nice job man

edit: makes me really want to play with dicers too though

DjFloMatic
03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Gotta go with Mix 2.. Only one that really had the 3style feel to it

Mix 1 and 3 were very moderate just basic mixing, Mix 2 was the only to get creative..

swine
03-14-2012, 12:28 AM
^ rep for voting!

Mrspyaman
03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I went with 2 for the extra creativity.

RaphaelJohn
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the votes guys. Since Juxtaposer posted fun facts about himself I figured I'd do some too.
Fun facts:
-I'm 26
-Started DJing a year and a half ago
-First scratch technique I learned was the Crab scratch
-Entered my first DJ battle 2 months into spinning and placed 5th out of 30 people.

BuddyUK
03-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Props to mix3 for not playing any Michael *bleeeping* Jackson and mix 1 looked like he was actually moving the pitch adjust about a lot and actively doing something and also mixed it up a bit stylewise but mix 2 had the edge for me as well more of a mix up of different stuff. You all better up your game and really start busting out some radically different styles or juxtaposer is going to walk away with this easily IMO.

swine
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
^yea i totally missed the point of the threestyle tournament. I was going for a smooth nice mix, not girltalk style. Thats why im hoping the losers can do a rematch! :D

Thanks for the feedback/voting buddy! +rep!

BuddyUK
03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
^yea i totally missed the point of the threestyle tournament. I was going for a smooth nice mix, not girltalk style. Thats why im hoping the losers can do a rematch! :D

Thanks for the feedback/voting buddy! +rep!

I'll be brutally honest and say that it wasn't exactly a pleasure to listen to Justaposers mix, no offence to him honestly (I voted for him!) but he really played stuff across the board musically. Also one girltalk is one too many IMO I aint advocating that m8. But if I had all the computer doo-dads like you lads use I'd probably try something like going from ska to rocksteady to reggae to dancehall to jungle to DnB to breakcore or something like that, kind of a logical progression.

I had a bit of a practice go myself and it was pretty much me just slapping on as many 7"s of as many different styles as quickly as I could, not really sure how well that would have gone down TBH, from past experience probably very badly. :lol:

swine
03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
^ honestly thats why I had to vote for the other mix. Its very good and technical from the standpoint of taking full advantage of the software but I do like the track selection/less effects used on the other one. call me old fashion even though I pretty much grew up with the controller era :D

But I like youre thinking, if I had made it to the next round I totally would have gone the ska/reggae to jungle route. Can't do a mix without my dnb :P

The Baxter
03-14-2012, 08:58 PM
2 was clear cut above the others. props to all participants though, it looked like a lot of thought and hard work went into these mixes.

moyo wilde
03-16-2012, 01:36 AM
good mixes fellas. i voted for mix two.

mix one was pretty well put together you just ran into a buzz saw early in the tourney in mix two.

mix two was a really good example of what i think thre3style is. only thing i would say is stay away from the transitions or maybe just my opinion. i thought the my way to empire state of mind was more of a premade transition than a premade blend/mashup.

mix three i just didn't know many of your songs, and i think that is part of what 3style is, playing those songs that have an immediate connection with a bar/club crowd. maybe not all just a few more than you did. did recognize the songs at the end, but i like moombahton so...

swine
03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
thanks for the feed back. +rep

djryu
03-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I want Raphael John's babies!!! well done bro

RaphaelJohn
03-17-2012, 03:51 AM
I want Raphael John's babies!!! well done bro

Lol welcome back Ryu. Hope you had fun at the Keys man. What you doing for St Patty's day?
We gotta link up soon homie

DjDisArm
03-17-2012, 01:41 PM
voted

bmorr
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
wtf? How has video 1 not gotten more love?? I loved the mixing style in video 1, maybe cuz it's more similar to how I would mix the songs together. I was really digging it. There were a few hiccups during some of the transitions where the beat was really off. But I thought for the most part the songs were a pretty decent mashup of well-known stuff and unknown stuff.

Video 2 was really well done as well. I'd say your song selection was pretty spot on, just felt like some of the transitions weren't and pumped up, a lot of the time, they were extremely smooth, but they were really predictable. Once again this is just my personal preference, as you can see from the votes, obviously many prefer your style.

Video 3 was well done, although I don't know if it really would get the party poppin as much just because the tracklist was (IMO) fairly underground, I don't think I could name more than 1 or 2 of the songs used throughout the whole routine. The mixing was well, done, there were a few hiccups in the beginning, but the transitions improved throughout the mix.

Ocie
03-17-2012, 04:01 PM
wtf? How has video 1 not gotten more love?? I loved the mixing style in video 1, maybe cuz it's more similar to how I would mix the songs together. I was really digging it. There were a few hiccups during some of the transitions where the beat was really off. But I thought for the most part the songs were a pretty decent mashup of well-known stuff and unknown stuff.

Video 2 was really well done as well. I'd say your song selection was pretty spot on, just felt like some of the transitions weren't and pumped up, a lot of the time, they were extremely smooth, but they were really predictable. Once again this is just my personal preference, as you can see from the votes, obviously many prefer your style.

Video 3 was well done, although I don't know if it really would get the party poppin as much just because the tracklist was (IMO) fairly underground, I don't think I could name more than 1 or 2 of the songs used throughout the whole routine. The mixing was well, done, there were a few hiccups in the beginning, but the transitions improved throughout the mix.

thanks man. i should have put more practice into the set. not proud of the hiccups but i just went for it anyway.

repped all y'all who voted.

RaphaelJohn
03-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I come from a top 40 background and some clubs I spin at I have to adhere to a certain style, however, I can incorporate a lot of different styles to my mixes. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve if I advance. Can't let all the secrets out just yet. I know what you mean about being predictable. Down here in Tampa, if it isn't Party Rock Anthem/Sexy and I know it/ The Motto/ Lil Wayne/ Drake then the people don't know it or don't like it LOL. I love watching other DJ's do mixes and put em up on here.

In the piano world there are two types of pianists: Classically Trained and Play by ear. I was classically trained when I was younger but ended up quitting my lessons, and then 5 years later I picked it back up and started learning by ear and actually by sight. Classically trained pianists are in awe when watching someone that plays by ear, and someone that plays by ear is in awe while watching a classically trained pianist play while reading sheet music. I feel the same way when watching other DJ's, especially ones that play different genre's than me.

But yeah, all in all, everyone has their own flare and style. It works for some. Mad props to all that are in this battle and those that took the time to listen and vote!

RaphaelJohn
03-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Bump bump bump