PDA

View Full Version : effective use of 3 or 4 decks

dirtydutch
03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
post any thing you find that shows effective use of 3 or 4 decks.

I see many people that have 3/4 deck mixers/controllers but only really use 2. Then what's the point?

This thread is meant to inspire those have a 3/4 deck mixer/controller, but havent really utilized it

KghrjlOOdD0

g-sep
03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
post any thing you find that shows effective use of 3 or 4 decks.

I see many people that have 3/4 deck mixers/controllers but only really use 2. Then what's the point?

Really interested in this.

I have a 4 channel mixer, but only 2 1200's. Reason why I bought it: when I do a gig, I have my iPod plugged into a spare channel, just in case the laptop decides to take a dump and needs a reboot. Another reason: I plan on getting an Audio 8/10 soon, and use my Maschine Mikro to trigger samples and loops.

Finnish_Fox
03-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Really interested in this.

I have a 4 channel mixer, but only 2 1200's. Reason why I bought it: when I do a gig, I have my iPod plugged into a spare channel, just in case the laptop decides to take a dump and needs a reboot. Another reason: I plan on getting an Audio 8/10 soon, and use my Maschine Mikro to trigger samples and loops.

I had same thing, except CDJs... until last week. Picked up some decks, now I've got 4... yay.

DjAaron
03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Very interested also in this. I have been mainly using only 2 channels and have been wanting to start using 3 and 4 but worry that it will sound like crap but I guess practice makes perfect!

Defiance
03-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I mainly mix 3 at max and maybe a 4th for vocals or samples.

Typically the 4th is reserved for mic or other input

PONTUS.2
03-13-2012, 01:20 AM
7bLanIfR13A

Finnish_Fox
03-13-2012, 01:40 AM
KghrjlOOdD0

No headphones?

Finnish_Fox
03-13-2012, 01:41 AM
7bLanIfR13A

Technically impressive.

Brian Sang Han
03-13-2012, 03:56 AM
No headphones?

he uses IEMs

Finnish_Fox
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
he uses IEMs

Ah. Gotcha.

alazydj
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
GcyeWZB-6hM

/thread

dirtydutch
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
fidget houseee d(-.-)b

LoveBass
04-03-2012, 09:06 AM
7bLanIfR13A

thanks for posting. . . ACTUAL skils

Ashley Caveney
04-04-2012, 03:45 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbzWalPLhDY&feature=related

kissy sell out gotta love him on the 4 decks

Adzm00
04-04-2012, 05:22 AM

This thread is meant to inspire those have a 3/4 deck mixer/controller, but havent really utilized it

There isn't much of a point. If you want to get into it though and have 3 decks hooked up, just practice practice practice.

ben mills
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
As a house music guy, this is something that I've been toying with for a long time now. I really want to add a Kontrol X-1 to my set up. Currently I'm running 1200s with a DJM-600. A solid set up that has remained unchanged since my days on vinyl. Have no desire to switch to CDJs or controller at all. It's my opinion that turntables add an element to the event that CDJs, and more specifically controllers, just don't. This is my opinion, and I'm not interested in any debate about the merits of turntables vs. CDJ vs. controller. They each have their own merits.

I play deep house mostly. The tracks run anywhere from 6 to 7 minutes, usually. A little less, a little more sometimes. I'm constantly in the mix - I'd say for every six minutes of music, I'm in the mix at least 4, probably closer to 4.5 or 5. The only time I really go more than a minute before beginning the next mix is if I decide to ride through a breakdown and come out clean and start the mix on the 1 coming out.

I make effective use of the loops to maintain a smooth flow and hit all my points right on the mark, I cut back and forth, pump beats, all the little tricks of the trade to take a mix to another level. I have really hit the limit of straight up mixing ability with just two decks. The only thing is that sometimes I'd love to let a loop (on the outgoing track) ride out continously/indefinitely and then cue up the next track - then with that mix beginning, would be running three decks.
For me and my style, this manner of usage would be the most effective use of 3 or 4 decks. Could throw some acapellas or other stuff, but I don't do that now and don't see myself starting.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
s a house music guy, this is something that I've been toying with for a long time now. I really want to add a Kontrol X-1 to my set up. Currently I'm running 1200s with a DJM-600. A solid set up that has remained unchanged since my days on vinyl. Have no desire to switch to CDJs or controller at all. It's my opinion that turntables add an element to the event that CDJs, and more specifically controllers, just don't. This is my opinion, and I'm not interested in any debate about the merits of turntables vs. CDJ vs. controller. They each have their own merits.

What are you going to do with the X1? I've got the same set-up you do, plus CDJs and a 700 instead of a 600. I presume you are using TSP?

I play deep house mostly. The tracks run anywhere from 6 to 7 minutes, usually. A little less, a little more sometimes. I'm constantly in the mix - I'd say for every six minutes of music, I'm in the mix at least 4, probably closer to 4.5 or 5. The only time I really go more than a minute before beginning the next mix is if I decide to ride through a breakdown and come out clean and start the mix on the 1 coming out.

Are you using a DVS?

I make effective use of the loops to maintain a smooth flow and hit all my points right on the mark, I cut back and forth, pump beats, all the little tricks of the trade to take a mix to another level. I have really hit the limit of straight up mixing ability with just two decks. The only thing is that sometimes I'd love to let a loop (on the outgoing track) ride out continously/indefinitely and then cue up the next track - then with that mix beginning, would be running three decks.
For me and my style, this manner of usage would be the most effective use of 3 or 4 decks. Could throw some acapellas or other stuff, but I don't do that now and don't see myself starting.

Interesting. I need to get more out of my set-up... because I can.

ben mills
04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm actually still running the original Traktor Scratch. Went from vinyl to Final Scratch 1.5 to Traktor Scratch. Had TS since April of 08. Upgrading isn't an issue - can do it at any time, just waiting to see if I really want to take it to the three or four decks.

The X1 would be used for assigning tracks to decks, looping in and looping out, as well as manipulating the length of the loops. Mostly to keep my hands off the laptop and have controls for all that stuff right by my mixer. I don't use effects much at all - mostly because I let the music and mixing stand on its own. When you are in the mix as much as I am, effects don't really add much more than what you are doing on your own via mixing.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm actually still running the original Traktor Scratch. Went from vinyl to Final Scratch 1.5 to Traktor Scratch. Had TS since April of 08. Upgrading isn't an issue - can do it at any time, just waiting to see if I really want to take it to the three or four decks.

The X1 would be used for assigning tracks to decks, looping in and looping out, as well as manipulating the length of the loops. Mostly to keep my hands off the laptop and have controls for all that stuff right by my mixer. I don't use effects much at all - mostly because I let the music and mixing stand on its own. When you are in the mix as much as I am, effects don't really add much more than what you are doing on your own via mixing.

Maybe I should get TSP2 instead of Serato then... so I can use my 12s, CDJs and X1?

ben mills
04-04-2012, 12:40 PM
My personal opinion is that any of the Traktor products blow Serato out of the water for pure mixing, house music style, so yeah, I would go with that.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 12:56 PM
My personal opinion is that any of the Traktor products blow Serato out of the water for pure mixing, house music style, so yeah, I would go with that.

(I think) I'm happy with my decks and mixer for mixing house. The idea for the serato was to get into more funk, soul, hip hop, some (older) top 40 shit (like from 70s and 80s). Work on my scratching and mixing non-EDM styles. I imagine serato and TSP are fairly equivalent in that respect.

But, after listening to what you do, I am certainly interested in exploring that option. Are you syncing or anything?

Here is a thread I started to help me understand the differences between Serato and TSP2:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?5028-Serato-vs-Traktor-Pro-2-vs-Traktor-Scratch-Pro-2

ben mills
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
If you are looking at expanding into a more turntablist routine, then perhaps Serato would be better. I don't know that though. To be honest I've never used Serato. All of my opinions are based on my observations of others using it, talking with others that use it, and extensive reading about the technologies in the industry as they have developed over the years. I don't think that you would go wrong with Traktor - I think you could potentially go wrong with Serato, though. Again, just my opinion.

I don't use any syncing at all, the beatmatching is done manually. It's actually a point of pride for me. I enjoy it, am good at it, and it's just another element to the performance of a DJ that I think can "add" to an event (not to say that syncing "takes away" or anything like that). But when the crowd knows that the DJ is up there doing it all manually (the informed crowd), it does make a difference. I know I enjoy listening to manual beatmatching DJs a lot more than syncers. Especially syncers that don't do half the stuff I do - that just do basic blends in and out during intro/outros. Blah. I enjoy hearing the skill and ability of a DJ work the decks.

mrkleen
04-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Totally agree. Not impressed with SSL at all.

DJNR
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe I should get TSP2 instead of Serato then... so I can use my 12s, CDJs and X1?

Or a Serato SL4 and map the X1. That can be pricey though.

DJNR
04-04-2012, 02:25 PM

As a Traktor user, I am pretty convinced that the differences between the two programs really revolve around GUI, and that's about it. Serato has stepped up their game, and I think the two programs have very little differences at this point in time. With that being said, I don't think either have any advantage in either genre.

ben mills
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
That's a good point. I was actually thinking about coming back and making that point. The GUI of SSL is dated, clunky, and in general sucks. The side-by-side waveforms, and to an extent the colored waveforms are a gimmick.
Traktor GUI is on another level.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 02:45 PM
If you are looking at expanding into a more turntablist routine, then perhaps Serato would be better. I don't know that though. To be honest I've never used Serato. All of my opinions are based on my observations of others using it, talking with others that use it, and extensive reading about the technologies in the industry as they have developed over the years. I don't think that you would go wrong with Traktor - I think you could potentially go wrong with Serato, though. Again, just my opinion.

Cheers. Trying to to get as many opinions on the matter as possible. Check in on that thread, if you want.

I don't use any syncing at all, the beatmatching is done manually. It's actually a point of pride for me. I enjoy it, am good at it, and it's just another element to the performance of a DJ that I think can "add" to an event (not to say that syncing "takes away" or anything like that). But when the crowd knows that the DJ is up there doing it all manually (the informed crowd), it does make a difference. I know I enjoy listening to manual beatmatching DJs a lot more than syncers. Especially syncers that don't do half the stuff I do - that just do basic blends in and out during intro/outros. Blah. I enjoy hearing the skill and ability of a DJ work the decks.

Good... mad props. I think the scene I go out in would actually feel that syncing takes away from it.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Or a Serato SL4 and map the X1. That can be pricey though.

Ah... right.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 02:46 PM
\The side-by-side waveforms, and to an extent the colored waveforms are a gimmick.
Traktor GUI is on another level.

Isn't this part of traktor as well?

ben mills
04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, I kind of threw that in as a disclaimer of sorts, if you know what I mean.

ben mills
04-04-2012, 02:48 PM

I mean the vertical waveforms with the "needle line" across both decks for visual beatmatching.

DJNR
04-04-2012, 02:50 PM

Yes. And in my opinion, the colored waveforms are not a gimmick. I use them quite often. By looking at them, I know what "sound" each part is by the color, which helps. Could I live without it? Sure.

Concerning the GUI, it all comes down to preference. Some people like the Serato interface because it's minimalist, whereas Traktor is seen as more complex and cluttered and vice versa.

ben mills
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I definitely agree that the colored waveforms are less gimmicky. They're just not for me. I do recognize that they are useful to some people and a key component to help them mix.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Well, I kind of threw that in as a disclaimer of sorts, if you know what I mean.

Ah, gotcha.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes. And in my opinion, the colored waveforms are not a gimmick. I use them quite often. By looking at them, I know what "sound" each part is by the color, which helps. Could I live without it? Sure.

So, for you, similar to the BPM reading or pitch resolution reading on the CDJ... totally unnecessary but helpful?

Concerning the GUI, it all comes down to preference. Some people like the Serato interface because it's minimalist, whereas Traktor is seen as more complex and cluttered and vice versa.

Gotcha.

DJNR
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
So, for you, similar to the BPM reading or pitch resolution reading on the CDJ... totally unnecessary but helpful?

Yeah. Pretty much like on the new CDJs. It's unnecessary, but helpful if you find a use for it.

MeowMix
04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Ive started more and more using 3 decks when i mix deep house. Its taken me a while because in the last year i went through a boom of buying music and was not confident enough about my knowledge of the tracks to try to mix 3 at a time. I slowed down on the buying and have gradually built up knowledge and confidence.

Next step is building up my loop and sample arsenal to start throwing those into the mix too.

I wouldnt mix full on 128 bpm dance house on 3 decks though, way too much going on and i feel like the more subtle features get covered.

ben mills
04-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Good point MM. The subleties of deep house; grooves, basslines, quick vocals, organic riffs, etc., that you can capture in a loop and keep running on a third deck really add another layer and some depth to the mix. It really needs to be selective, and done at the right time, but I feel like it is something that is important to try to incorporate. I've not done it yet, and that's really the next step for me.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Good point MM. The subleties of deep house; grooves, basslines, quick vocals, organic riffs, etc., that you can capture in a loop and keep running on a third deck really add another layer and some depth to the mix. It really needs to be selective, and done at the right time, but I feel like it is something that is important to try to incorporate. I've not done it yet, and that's really the next step for me.

Hmmm a lot of my tracks are on the borderline of deep and funky... pitched up to 128-130, its funky... slow it down and its deep. A lot of Olivier Desmet tracks come to mind.

MeowMix
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Hmmm a lot of my tracks are on the borderline of deep and funky... pitched up to 128-130, its funky... slow it down and its deep. A lot of Olivier Desmet tracks come to mind.

I heard your funky mix from the battle thread. In that case i would personally limit myself to digging and dropping some epic short vocals. Maybe a drum line.

In general i find minimal and deep house are the ones that lend themselves best to multi-layering. What Laidback Luke does in the video is too much for me, its like a spergfest of sounds and melodies which works if you just wanna go all out nuts (Kissy Sell Out i just cant handle sober).

I am not speaking from a DJs point of view but a dancers, when im into it i like to find a specific melody or drum line and just ride it for bit. When there is a lot of shit going on i feel like i need to start dumping vodka on myself and start stripping (usually doesnt end well).

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I heard your funky mix from the battle thread. In that case i would personally limit myself to digging and dropping some epic short vocals. Maybe a drum line.

Didn't put it on that mix, but one of my fave tracks is Olivier Desmet & Oriental Funk Stew's track that samples Al Green's "Love and Happiness".. .very short vocals, etc.

(BTW, I was going for funky on that mix)

In general i find minimal and deep house are the ones that lend themselves best to multi-layering. What Laidback Luke does in the video is too much for me, its like a spergfest of sounds and melodies which works if you just wanna go all out nuts (Kissy Sell Out i just cant handle sober).

I hear yah... though I am not into it (and I honestly don't even know what genre it falls into) but my an acquaintance has a ton of that Digweed-ish (I think?) stuff - 11' tracks with no real peak or drop, I was putting down 6' mixes with that stuff... though, he only had two decks, but it seemed fun to layer - perhaps out of control with 3?

My friend ran into Kissy Sell Out on Venice Beach and was interviewed for some DJ show.

I am not speaking from a DJs point of view but a dancers, when im into it i like to find a specific melody or drum line and just ride it for bit. When there is a lot of shit going on i feel like i need to start dumping vodka on myself and start stripping (usually doesnt end well).

My favorite part of watching Farina or Heather is when they layer just two tracks that play off each other. It's awesome.

Cheers!

ben mills
04-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I hear yah... though I am not into it (and I honestly don't even know what genre it falls into) but my an acquaintance has a ton of that Digweed-ish (I think?) stuff - 11' tracks with no real peak or drop, I was putting down 6' mixes with that stuff... though, he only had two decks, but it seemed fun to layer - perhaps out of control with 3?

I think some progressive house can work being layered. I played progressive house a long time ago and still really like it (at times). But the tracks are too long, and there's just not enough "groove" in there. Then I found deep house, and specifically within deep house a subgenre that has some progressive elements, but with a real groove. And shorter tracks...so the mixes just keep flying in and out at a much higher pace than progressive.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 11:40 PM
there's just not enough "groove" in there.

You said it right there. I live for groove.

MeowMix
04-05-2012, 01:26 AM
My favorite part of watching Farina or Heather

nuff said

Finnish_Fox
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
nuff said

Heather plays on Saturday... stoked! (with Colette)

Original
04-06-2012, 01:22 PM
4VOfCl789O8

Dave Daschofsky
04-09-2012, 10:13 PM
You don't have to use vertical waveforms in serato, there a button to switch the GUI to horizontal.

I've had way too many time when I've been mixing and thought about how nice a third deck would be. I've got the extra gear except I've only got an sl1. I've got an apc40 and ableton but haven't learned how to use it since it seems counterintuitive to using turntables and i rarely have time to do anything with it. With a third deck there wouldn't be a learning curve.

MeowMix
04-22-2012, 01:41 PM
One thing ive learned is that when mixing with multiple decks you need kick ass monitoring. I usually mix in my headphones and constantly change the overall volume so i dont always have a good idea what the master out level and have started noticing that i let it get pretty loud.

mrkleen
04-22-2012, 08:33 PM
One thing ive learned is that when mixing with multiple decks you need kick ass monitoring. I usually mix in my headphones and constantly change the overall volume so i dont always have a good idea what the master out level and have stared noticing that i let it get pretty loud.

exactly why most pros use the one ear method.

zaxl
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
KghrjlOOdD0

DJ Red Line in the house :blank:

DJNR
04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
DJ Red Line in the house :blank:

When you're Laidback Luke, I don't think anyone is going to question you. On the DJ Sounds show, he was on 0 the whole time, but he may have had a limiter.

Finnish_Fox
04-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I rarely see live club sets where the levels and master aren't redlining...

MeowMix
04-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Well its not so much that the levels are in the red (i never went into red) but that i lose track of the master volume as i add elements from each track. If the elements you are bringing in are not absolutely clear and defined you might have a hard time picking them out of the rest of the mix, consequently i end up pushing up the volume of the given track but because im not mixing with isolators no matter how much i kill the eq there is still other frequencies tagging along and boosting the overall volume.

I guess in a sense what im realizing is that it would be far easier and better to do max 2 decks and just drum/instrumental/effect/vocal samples rather than 3 full decks throughout the mix. I tried to go for at least 40min with 3 decks and it was just frenetic pace. It can also turn very frustrating when you lose track of the layers.

Other things that compound it are lack of extensive practice and experience since its a relatively new thing for me and that to one-cup it you need a very well setup monitoring system (essentially a well isolated booth). I mainly mix in the headphones because of hearing damage, in the headphones i can keep the mix at a reasonable level so that my ears are not numb for the next 2 days.

Finnish_Fox
04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
I guess in a sense what im realizing is that it would be far easier and better to do max 2 decks and just drum/instrumental/effect/vocal samples rather than 3 full decks throughout the mix. I tried to go for at least 40min with 3 decks and it was just frenetic pace. It can also turn very frustrating when you lose track of the layers.

Yah, its really really difficult unless you set yourself up for success... and, even then, its still a pretty massive challenge.

Picking tracks of the same (at least whole #) BPM helps you cue quicker (as its just a fine tune every time) meaning you are "not paying attention" to the master for a considerably shorter period of time. Also, with there would probably be less drift and less need to adjust (as often) if working with track of the same BPM.

Kingbob182
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJfpVzLN90U&feature=relmfu
Another one of Laidback Luke. I admire this guy, the way he manages so many tracks at once blows me away.
Would love a 4 channel mixer and a third (and fourth) cdj but I just can't afford it. Might buy a cheap one just for acapellas and stuff one day.

I saw Laidback Luke just after I turned 18. It was right when he released 'Be' and he just blew me away. His mixing is what made me want to get into DJing

DMG
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Love LL Dj Soundshow. Saw it BEFORE this thread but it is a perfect example. Heres another one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLgwts7QUf4&feature=related

SmoothOperator
05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
I have been working on doing 3/4 deck mixing for about 4 months now and so far it has been tough making good balanced mixes consistently. Getting all the controls recorded into muscle memory is taking some time. Right now, for me, it takes too much thinking. I hit the wrong buttons and move the wrong faders. It's not instinct yet like I need it to be but I'm working towards it and have been getting better everyday.

So far I have found a few good uses for the extra decks.
1. Sometimes I'll que up a track and decide that it's just not working like I want it to and think to myself maybe this other track would sound better. Before I would have to commit to a decision at that point. Now I have an extra deck to cue another track on without taking off the other and then decide which sounds better.

2. During a transition sometimes it's nice to make a loop of a well known floor filler and tease it for lil bit but not playing it while bringing in the next track... Then a few songs later drop the track I teased with. You can also save a loop and use it to bring back in later.

3. Some tracks just sound good layered on top of each other exp when you can use filters to help blend.

BurntToast
05-25-2012, 08:42 AM
I immediately thought of this thread when I saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbC1XGa9aM&feature=g-vrec

Finnish_Fox
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I immediately thought of this thread when I saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbC1XGa9aM&feature=g-vrec

Yah, but it seems to me that he's done a lot of the hard work in RekordBox already so when it comes to mixing there is minimal upkeep. Not that its easy, or anything.

DJ STU-C
05-29-2012, 02:15 PM
quality i was about to post sanchez myself

bobbyd
06-16-2012, 09:51 AM
For a while, when I was playing techno btw. 2000-2002 I was quite a serious 3 deck user. I would put on 3 tracks at the same time, or mix in two and drop the third. But that was pretty tracky/loopy techno. I started working towards playing more songs, and working to present those songs - and 2 records became more the way I did it.

In a bigger club, there would always be 3 decks even in the 90's, not because the djs would be mixing 3 decks all the time, but because they would have the ability to cue something else up, or get ready for a quick transition. You might just want to play 30 second intro/noise off of one record, and then you could already have the next thing cued up and ready to go.

But I started djing in 1992 - so I am a bit of a dinosaur at this point.

JamesRoss
06-16-2012, 03:33 PM
I like three decks for mixing. I always have had a mixer with at least three channels and that was just the way I mixed. not always playing three things at once but having something ready on deck 3 while I work on beat matching decks 1 and 2. The vocal track was essentially deck 3. that's the way I've been practicing for about 10 years, not quite a dinosaur, but not a rookie either.