PDA

View Full Version : Cables... Specifically XLR

sobi
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I feel sort of silly asking this, as I've been spinning for over 15 years now, but what kind of XLR cables do you mobile guys rely on? Is there a brand you find more reliable, or is it more or less the best kind is the least expensive kind? I've been doing clubs/raves/large events for over 15 years, but during the last few (I took a break for a while), I've gotten into bars and lounges where I bring all my own stuff. Over this past decade and a half, I've always just used hodge podge XLR's that I've gotten from friends, or bought at guitar center one at a time. After a few years of using all my own stuff, my cables are starting to get a little worn, so I want to get some backups/replacements. This time, I want to get them for the whole system, and get whatever has a better reputation versus the first thing I see at Guitar Center with the lowest price tag.

KLH
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
I just pick up unabused clearance XLR cables at the local music shop. They've been great. While I'm sure that there's a difference in shielding between what I buy and high-end cables, I really couldn't care less. I'm happy with decent-gauge cables - but my runs are usually less than 20' to the furthest speaker.

-KLH

ampnation
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
The two best cables I have (several of each) are the lifetime warrantied LiveWire's I got at Guitar Center and the one's I made myself using Dayton wire bought at Parts Express and Neutrik connectors. I've heard monoprice are good too. I've bought things from them, but not XLR's and everything is very good quality so far. I noticed that making my own cables is less expensive than monoprice for I believe long cables and monoprice is cheaper for short (or maybe it was the other way around).

The worst cables I have are the cheap (not lifetime warrantied) that came with my SM58 bundle deal at Guitar Center (SM58, stand and cable for one low price) and ironically, a Monster Cable.

LiteTrix
03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I have all whirlwind cables for audio. By no means the best out there but I've had them for over 10 years and only had a few fail out of the hundreds I have.

Whatever cable you buy make sure the ends are built solid. Cheap cables won't be able to stand the constant connecting and un-connecting.

Check Ebay for the whirlwind XLR's. There usually pretty cheap and good quality.

Livewire's are excellent cables as well.

JamminDownJD
03-13-2012, 01:16 AM
I love the EWI cables from Audiopile.net.

drzinc
03-13-2012, 01:29 AM
I make most of my own cables...

Subprime
03-13-2012, 02:53 AM
The standard answer would be Van Damme.

I've got some shitty cheap stuff going to my monitors at the moment, and it buzzes when my phone goes off. Pretty shoddy really.

mostapha
03-13-2012, 07:16 AM
If you're capable of making you're own, Canare coil the best of any cables I've used. If not, Mogami coil well, work well, and have a warranty.

And if you don't want to spend their prices, LiveWire coils almost as well and has a lifetime warranty.

jazzyj
03-13-2012, 07:23 AM
I have no idea what brand my XLR's are - but I had to rent some for this fashion show a few weeks back, and the ones I rented handled a lot better. Mine get kinked real easy. I don't know if it's because the rentals were used a lot more and were a lot more flexible or what.

wilson
03-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I've always used WhirlWind or HOSA with no problems. Unless they are over 50', then I just make my own.

djscrizzle
03-13-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm gonna second Canare. Have a few of the star quad style in my cable box and some more patching the rig's gear to in/out panels in racks. Great cable and easy to work with. LOVE the braided shield for the fact it covers better than the typical spiral shield many 2c XLR cables have.

Hibbo
03-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I've never used a specific brand but over the years i've amassed a ridiculous amount of XLR cables that now sit with all my other spares ina storage box in the spare room, you can never have too many spare cables/connectors.

ampnation
03-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking the spool of cable I bought was Dayton, but I don't see one that matches on Parts-Express' website. This seems to be what I used... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=100-288
It has tinned copper braiding vs. bare copper.

When I did this, I also picked up a cable tester from audiopile.net. I picked that particular one because it had the most varieties of cable connections like Speakon which isn't found on a lot of cable testers.
http://audiopile.net/products/Electronics/Bug_Catcher/Bugcatcher_cutsheet.shtml

djirsk
03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
i just use any kind of XLR's, they work fine for me!

DjAaron
04-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Ok I am going to bring this up again.

Where do most of you guys buy bulk cables at? I was thinking of making a few 50' XLR cables for my speakers to add onto my current 50' when needed. Also for when I buy a sub I can make a nice cable for it also.

I was looking at the speaker cable/power cord cables. I was told they are really nice cables but not to sure. Here is the cable.
http://www.pssl.com/On-Stage-MPCOMBO50-50Ft-Pwrd-Speaker-Connect-Cable

So would most of you just make your own or would you get a cable like this one and have it all in one. I was thinking of just making cables like this.

monomer
04-04-2012, 12:08 AM
I love the EWI cables from Audiopile.net.

THIS.

I've been abusing the same few 25ft runs of twisted pair for atleast four years now, and I bought them before they offered Neutrik connectors.

Just don't buy the blue ones. I can be the only one around with the blue cable....

avguy
04-04-2012, 08:37 PM
We have thousands of feet worth of EWI cable, hardly ever a problem.
In fact the only problem we have is with the Neutrik connectors themselves.

sss18734
04-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Monoprice XLR's are solid and look very nice.

jmack953
04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
For patch cables, or short runs under 20 feet, I usually just go with Hosa or whirlwind as well. Inexpensive, and they get the job done for those short runs with just line level signal. For powered signal, or anything over 20 feet, I've found that Monster 100 series cable is great, never had a problem with it. A lot of that price comes with the name of course, but they do well, last long, and hey, if they don't, lifetime warranty keeps them covered. Then again, most cable brands now offer a lifetime warranty for most XLR cables. Making your own is always the cheaper way to go in the long run (no pun intended), but yeah, if you do need to have runs of 40,50,60 or 100 feet, buy a spool, buy the ends for them, hope to have a solder gun, and it will save you money buying the bulk cable as opposed to buying a brand anme cable in that length. DANG THE PRICE OF COPPER!!! Ha! Anyways, happy mixin and spinnin' everyone!