PDA

View Full Version : Chauvet ColorPalette--->>(Daisy chaining)power output socket??? Where???Am I blind???

muausucua
01-12-2014, 07:06 PM
I find this very, very strange.

I just bought 4 chauvet color palettes. All new. From the product's manual, and from the catalogs of numerous website retail stores, they all indicate:

"Additional Features

* Additional power output for daisy chaining units together. "

I just haven't found where this power output might be. Or probably Im misinterpreting this sentence?

There is also a connector in the back that says "satellite" but the manual doesn't say anything about it. Is this to do with the power output?

Someone shed some light on me. Please

DJzrule
01-12-2014, 07:11 PM
That light doesn't have power linking. Complain to the retailer if you're really adamant about false advertising but its no where on the Chauvet site or manual from what I just checked. The Satellite port is for battery power from the Satellite battery units Chauvet use to sell.

muausucua
01-14-2014, 12:51 AM
will this help me daisy chain them? http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/power/strips_cords/equip_cords/gc-cemf2af1.html

DJzrule
01-14-2014, 01:21 AM
That's the idea but I would NOT use 18AWG (gauge) wire to daisy chain more than 1 LED fixture. I'd feel a lot more comfortable using 16 or 14 AWG.

jz416
01-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Changed opinion and no longer worth posting.

CQE DJs
01-14-2014, 08:58 AM
You can use 18awg for LED fixtures. Most LED lights run at well under 1amp. 18awg can handle up to 10 amps. Now with that said, LED lights are the ONLY thing I would run with 18awg and only up to 3 or 4. But you certainly can.

DJzrule
01-14-2014, 04:46 PM
You can use 18awg for LED fixtures. Most LED lights run at well under 1amp. 18awg can handle up to 10 amps. Now with that said, LED lights are the ONLY thing I would run with 18awg and only up to 3 or 4. But you certainly can.

My reasoning is that 18AWG cables are very flimsy, especially for something that could be used as uplights and have their wires stepped on. Couple that with the lower gauge and being more prone to being damaged and the extra few cents for 16 or 14 makes it a better choice. I've since replaced all the thin crap wires I've gotten with my lights because they don't last as long.

BillESC
01-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Zip cord or lamp wire, the 18 gauge two conductor wire has been used in the decorating and production industry since before I entered it.

Rated for 875w continuous load saying you should only put 3 or 4 fixtures in it is simply not correct. Lets use ADJ's Flat Par QA5X for example. Maximum draw for the fixture is 34w. That means you could operate 25 fixtures and still be a bit below the NEC rating.

allensmusic
01-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Zip cord or lamp wire, the 18 gauge two conductor wire has been used in the decorating and production industry since before I entered it.

Rated for 875w continuous load saying you should only put 3 or 4 fixtures in it is simply not correct. Lets use ADJ's Flat Par QA5X for example. Maximum draw for the fixture is 34w. That means you could operate 25 fixtures and still be a bit below the NEC rating.

over what length?

STLRiverCity
01-14-2014, 09:34 PM
That linked item only has 18ga going to the single fixture. It doesn't state the gauge of the electric links inside the IEC plugs. My guess is they could pass 15amps.

BillESC
01-15-2014, 07:53 AM
over what length?

100' is the NEC standard.

BillESC
01-15-2014, 07:54 AM
That linked item only has 18ga going to the single fixture. It doesn't state the gauge of the electric links inside the IEC plugs. My guess is they could pass 15amps.

Don't guess. The fuse of the fixture will tell you the maximum pass through amperage.

STLRiverCity
01-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Don't guess. The fuse of the fixture will tell you the maximum pass through amperage.

I should clarify. I was talking about the item that was linked to:

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/power/strips_cords/equip_cords/gc-cemf2af1.html

I wouldn't normally assume anything, but since this doesn't have a fuse and the male and female IEC plugs are back-to-back, some assumptions have to be made.