PDA

View Full Version : Ipad, a gadget or a real tool?

PaDJ
01-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I am curious to know how many feel an Ipad is a tool, or just a gadget.
What uses would you be lost with out if you did not have an Ipad?

JackStalk
01-11-2014, 10:53 AM
I have never used an iPad to DJ and wouldnt trust one as part of my main rig. It isn't designed to be used as DJ equipment. It's a gadget, not a real tool. You can use it as a backup or side-rig (cocktail hour music). It really isn't a valid piece of equipment for DJing in my opinion. There's equipment that is the same price or cheaper that can be better suited for DJing professionally.

PaDJ
01-11-2014, 11:11 AM
I have never used an iPad to DJ and wouldnt trust one as part of my main rig. It isn't designed to be used as DJ equipment. It's a gadget, not a real tool. You can use it as a backup or side-rig (cocktail hour music). It really isn't a valid piece of equipment for DJing in my opinion. There's equipment that is the same price or cheaper that can be better suited for DJing professionally.

Not talking about using it as a piece of dj equipment, but how about for organization, sales tools, marketing etc.
Although not a piece of DJ equipment, I have used it before to play the wedding march in a last minute emergency. (was not part of my job, but a quick speaker and Ipad saved the day)

drzinc
01-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Any tablet can be a tool it does not have to be an ipad. The ecosystem of apps in both the ios and android world many tool you can use to aid you in your DJ business. I decided on neither and got a windows pro tablet since there is just so much more full programs for the windows platform.

Dj DRPX
01-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Not talking about using it as a piece of dj equipment, but how about for organization, sales tools, marketing etc.
Although not a piece of DJ equipment, I have used it before to play the wedding march in a last minute emergency. (was not part of my job, but a quick speaker and Ipad saved the day)

In terms of Organization, Sales Tools, Marketing... sure, I don't see why it couldn't be considered a real piece of equipment. I think there's better equipment, but it does more than the minimum for most aspects of those jobs considering the portability of the device.

In terms of DJing, I think it can be a valid piece of equipment, but I agree that there are many better pieces of equipment for what it can do.

allensmusic
01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
It isn't designed to be used as DJ equipment.

name a computer that WAS designed to be used as DJ equipment

Unknown DJ
01-11-2014, 02:05 PM

Back in the day when MP3's were only a few years old Ice T was promoting a custom computer system for DJing.

JackStalk
01-11-2014, 02:10 PM

None of them, which is why I don't DJ with a computer :shrug: