PDA

View Full Version : Speaker + Power = Confused

DJ_Shop_Around
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Ok I'm new, just got my NS7fx, now I need to save up for some speakers. In the meanwhile I want to learn about how they are set up and more about providing power to them. I'm totally lost when it comes to this. I see myself plugging everything up and blowing a circuit or something. If there are any links to good resources, please provide them, THANKS!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nolimitz
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Typically there are a minimum of 2 to 3 outputs on a mixer. There is the RECORD OUT, MASTER OUT and the BOOTH OUT on many club mixers.

The REC OUT is used to record your mix. You can connect any device to it such as a tape deck, digital 8-track like my Roland VS880, MP3 recorder/player, or Mini Disc player and so on. The REC OUT has one level and can't be adjusted on most mixers. REC OUT is a stereo mix so it has a LEFT and RIGHT outputs.

DJ Tutorial Tip: Make sure you connect the proper leads to the proper connections on the REC OUT just as you did with the turntable leads to their corresponding inputs.

The MASTER OUT gets connected to the amplifier or to the component that is amplifying the signal. On the back of a stereo receiver there are usually RCA connections. Those RCA connections correspond to a component that gets plugged into it. But there is nothing that says mixer on it. Not to worry. Simply take the MASTER OUT and plug it into the CD if it's not in use or AUX IN of the stereo receiver.

If you have an amplifier like the Peavey PV900 Power Amp take a look at the rear connections. Chances are you don't see an RCA connection on it. You probably see a QUARTER INCH jack on it. If this is the case on your amplifier then you need and RCA to QUARTER INCH cable.

Plug your RCA end of the cable into the MASTER OUT and the QUARTER INCH end into the QUARTER INCH input of the amplifier making sure you plug the LEFT MASTER OUT of the mixer into the LEFT QUARTER INCH in on the amplifier. Do the same with the RIGHT MASTER OUT.

DJ Tutorial Tip: If you are using powered speaker then connect use the proper cables such as RCA to RCA or RCA to QUATER INCH. Chances are it is an RCA to RCA. Connect your mixers MASTER OUT to the RCA INPUT or QUARTER INCH input if it has one, of the powered speakers.

Taken from http://www.the-dj-equipment-guide.com/dj-tutorial-setting-up-dj-equipment.html at the bottom, Tip #5

Hope this helps. And don't forget to check out the rest of that site!

DJ_Shop_Around
03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I plan on getting all powered/active equipment

jazzyj
03-12-2012, 03:23 PM
You can use 1/4" or RCA adapters (depending on what is coming OUT from your mixer) to XLR or whatever is going IN to your speakers. No amp needed. And for the most part, most 15-20amp breakers can handle the load of at least 2 tops, mixer, laptop, lights, etc.

KLH
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Power is pretty simple to handle. Separate heavy loads onto their own circuits. Ideally:

* Mixing setup on one circuit
* Lights on (at least) one circuit
* Amps and Speakers on (at least) one circuit

Of the three categories listed above, the Mixing setup draws the least power. As such, you can usually combine it with the amps assuming that the amp load is not heavy.

Of the three, lighting tends to have the most demanding loads. I would recommend keeping lighting on its own circuit at all times.

Starting out, I advise having a small speaker system for bedroom use (think computer speakers) and a PA system for event use. At the beginning, buy the small setup and rent the PA system so that you begin to understand what you need.

-KLH

ampnation
03-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Better mixers, the NS7FX included, have balanced master outputs. On the NS7FX those outputs are in the form of stereo XLR connectors. Each connector has 3 conductors (ground, plus two versions of a single signal -- for more on that search "balanced audio" at wikipedia). Even lame powered speakers usually have XLR inputs and ALL of the most often recommended speakers here have them. Therefore, connecting your mixer is as simple as connecting your left master output to one speaker and your right master output to the other, both using readily available XLR line cables, also commonly known as a mic cable.

With powered speakers there is no need to match power to the speaker because the manufacturer has already taken care of that by bundling the amplifier with the speaker and even done things like applied limiting tailored to that speaker. The level produced by the XLR outputs of mixers is uniform, so again, no need to match that up or worry about anything becoming overpowered.

DJ_Shop_Around
03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
thanks guys...never thought of renting. Was just going to buy everything. So if I'm on different circuits I should be good