PDA

View Full Version : Yorkville LS800p Powered Sub VS QSC KW181

pumpitdj
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
So currently I own the Yorkville sub , and yes it's a Great sub but I hate that it's so dam heavy , and I need to bring my trailer every time . I was thinking about going to the QSC KW181 Sub because it's 50 LBS lighter then the Yorkville . Also I can load this in my SUV . Does anyone have the QSC KW181 just need your thaughts on this before I buy .

Ntertainment
03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
I own the QSC 181. I've been very happy with it. Not sure how it compares to other subs around the same price point, but compared to the HPR 181 it's killer. It is lighter has more low end and is louder than the HPR. I rarely combine two of them but when I do i'm very happy with the output. I'll be buying two more within the year!

You also can't beat a 6 year warranty.

Ampedproductions
03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the yorky will outperform the QSC.

ampnation
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
The consensus seems to be that the LS is louder but the KW is more musical and less boomy. I've heard the KW producing some very low notes at some very decent volume for about 15 minutes straight in a demo. I was extremely impressed, but then I've never heard the Yorkie.

Mike D
03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my KW181's. The casters on the back are great for moving, all I have to do is pick it up from the trailer and out. We had the HPR151 before and it's something like 30 lbs lighter than that which is ridiculous. If you're making the decision based on your back, you won't regret using the KW's. But I believe the LS has better low end. If you're doing mostly weddings, I think both are overkill to be honest. But I'm using 2 at a St Pat's party this week, and frankly, I think I probably need 4 at a minimum because of how large the beer tent is. Not sure the LS's would be much different there though.

pumpitdj
03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Well I just sold the Yorkville sub , I got the QSC Sub ordered . Will let you know how I like it when it arrives

swine
03-14-2012, 07:52 PM
^good choice. the LS is great but sometimes you got to factor in the portability and how often you actually get to stretch the legs of the LS

Ampedproductions
03-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Good call. We went with Proel Flash 15 subs due to size and portability. We use them all the time but most of our weddings are in the 100 people range and dont require chest thumping bass. Just nice to fill out the bottom end. When we do need to turn it up we break out a couple ls1004's

pumpitdj
03-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Got to Try out my QSC Sub Last Night for the first time . The bass was not overkill and it sounded just perfect with my QSC K10 speakers . This system would be good up to approx 200 people , for the larger venues 200 plus I'll bring 4 K10's , maybe down the road after I get a feel of the sound in the huge venues I may get another Sub . Very happy with my Purchase !

Ampedproductions
03-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Whats the output compared to the Yorky? I know they POUND, wondering how the QSC Measures up

pumpitdj
03-18-2012, 11:01 AM
The York has about 15% more bass , For Clubs or School Dances York would be a good sub to go with . For Weddings QSC . A perfect way to describe this is say your at the other end of the hall , for the york the bass is coming at you head on , now with QSC the Bass is coming at your feet . I find the QSC bass does sound better.

ampnation
03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Any particular songs where the difference is more notable?

pumpitdj
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Any particular songs where the difference is more notable?

None ... Best way to compare is if your standing the bass would be from you waiste down kinda sound with the QSC , with the york , it's more in your chest , which is not good for weddings

rocket's ass
03-26-2012, 01:20 AM
The qsc has no crossover correct? That should be noted...

pumpitdj
03-26-2012, 06:29 AM
The qsc has no crossover correct? That should be noted...

Correct they have a low pass filter to the sub box itself but they pass the full signal on to the tops. The QSC top boxes have the other half of the crossover (the high pass filter). So you get a complete set when using an all QSC system. There are a lot of other brands of tops that also have HP filters ... but you need to check. Otherwise you are not preventing the lows form going to the top box and the sound will likely suffer.

ampnation
03-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I think I would always use a crossover, either a simple one, or as part of a DSP unit if mismatching tops and subs.

Robdogg
03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
You will love the QSC I have 4 of the older 15 inch version and never look back. A combo of one to all four of them have done almost any gig that I have come across right up to 700 ppl.