PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Akswun vs TheRabbitMonk - Scratch Battle

JonAvalon
01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
File 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/akswun-vs-therabbitmonk-1.mp3)

File 2
(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/akswun-vs-therabbitmonk-2.mp3)
Rules:
2 mins
Any sample
Any beat

akswun
01-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Good luck RabbitMonk!

TheRabbitMonk
01-08-2014, 07:04 PM
you to mate, lets hope we get a few listens.

Hightopfade
01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Vote goes to Mix 1. More beats and samples kept it interesting.

Baller95
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
I know nothing about scratching (other than a baby scratch) but obviously I can tell if it sounds good or not. Both had great scratching and were on time for the most part but I think mix 1 was a bit more "advanced" since you did various kinds of scratches and jumped to different parts of the track quickly while maintaining time. Though it did get a bit boring towards the end where there wasn't much scratching going on. Mix 2 was a bit repetitive but had decent skills as well so I really don't know who to vote for :P

DJArmani
01-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Mix 1 was different and kept my attention longer. Mix 2 had clean scratches but were mostly baby scratches with a few forwards and stabs.

JackStalk
01-08-2014, 11:10 PM
I like mix 2. I'm not a scratch guy and dont know anything about scratching but I just liked the groove better than mix1.

Vernski
01-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Mix one had some interesting tracks along with some scratching that I thought complimented the music quite well.

Mix two didn't vary too much in scratching and the music didn't do it for me either.

I'm voting for Mix 1

Side note: I don't scratch so I'm only really going on what I feel rather than hmmmmm that was the perfect chirp or crab scratch.

Thanks for putting your skills on show guys :tup:

Sigma
01-09-2014, 01:49 AM
1 - I liked it, but the focus isn't really on the scratching as much as the samples/arrangement. The best scratching is the transforming starting 28 seconds in. Overall, it was cool to listen to, but it's more like a scratch track than a battle file.

2 - Your chirps are pretty clean, but the file was solely baby scratching and chirps done with little variation, and with the odd tear thrown in. The "ahhhhh" sounds kinda digital too when you're doing the baby scratches - it definitely doesn't sound natural.

I'm going for 1, but only because of that transforming section. If that wasn't in there, I think you'd have gone too far in the "scratch track instead of a battle file" direction and I'd have gone for 2.

jz416
01-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Mix 1 was definitely cool. Id agree the focus in that mix wasn't really scratching, but on the other hand one could argue mix 1 practised restraint. The scratches were mostly nice and well done, but i thought that a few near the end sounded slightly less than perfect timing wise.

Mix 2: Fade in rather than cutting right in was a nice touch that many wouldnt bother to do. I'm hearing a lot of babies, chirps, and tears. Im now at 2:00 and im wondering does he pull out a surprise one click flare segment, or a transformer segment, or even some joe cooleys to vary it up a bit.

In my opinion, had mix two used his very limited arsenal of scratches in a more musical way it would have got my vote; This may be a personal preference, but somethign sounded off musically with mix 2s scrathcing so i went back and listened carefully and noticed many times mix 2 was releasing the babys (letting ahhhh play out) on the 1 of the first bar in a phrase, or on the 1 of what seemed like a random bar. Personally, I think that this sounded off musically. In short, This mix needed phrasing.

Im not a great scratcher technically, but i do believe that years of playing the drums have really helped with the musicality, and i believe mix 1 was much more musical than mix 2, and for that reason im voting mix 1.

Its gonna be real emberassing if im voting against rabbit monk and then he kicks my ass next week in our battle.

Mrspyaman
01-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Voted mix 1, agreed it was more of scratch track but it still provided more creativity.

TheRabbitMonk
01-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Mix 1 was definitely cool. Id agree the focus in that mix wasn't really scratching, but on the other hand one could argue mix 1 practised restraint. The scratches were mostly nice and well done, but i thought that a few near the end sounded slightly less than perfect timing wise.

Mix 2: Fade in rather than cutting right in was a nice touch that many wouldnt bother to do. I'm hearing a lot of babies, chirps, and tears. Im now at 2:00 and im wondering does he pull out a surprise one click flare segment, or a transformer segment, or even some joe cooleys to vary it up a bit.

In my opinion, had mix two used his very limited arsenal of scratches in a more musical way it would have got my vote; This may be a personal preference, but somethign sounded off musically with mix 2s scrathcing so i went back and listened carefully and noticed many times mix 2 was releasing the babys (letting ahhhh play out) on the 1 of the first bar in a phrase, or on the 1 of what seemed like a random bar. Personally, I think that this sounded off musically. In short, This mix needed phrasing.

Im not a great scratcher technically, but i do believe that years of playing the drums have really helped with the musicality, and i believe mix 1 was much more musical than mix 2, and for that reason im voting mix 1.

Its gonna be real emberassing if im voting against rabbit monk and then he kicks my ass next week in our battle.

don't you worry my friend. my first hip hop mix will either be really good or really bad. Still not planned a thing but there a light at the end of the tunnel. My Mrs mum n dad have been staying with us for the last 8 months. o how I’ve loved it, but there leaving tomorrow so I’m going to be high on life come Saturday. That leaves me 5 days to get something together.

O I’m so excited.

jz416
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
don't you worry my friend. my first hip hop mix will either be really good or really bad. Still not planned a thing but there a light at the end of the tunnel. My Mrs mum n dad have been staying with us for the last 8 months. o how I’ve loved it, but there leaving tomorrow so I’m going to be high on life come Saturday. That leaves me 5 days to get something together.

O I’m so excited.

Im more excited; im 16, and my parents are leaving for florida for the week tomorrow. My last exam is on thursday, which means after thursday... well i hope im sober enough to turn on my decks, but in all seriousness, I dont drink much, and ill wait till the night to get it going anyway.

TheRabbitMonk
01-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Young vs old.

Vernski
01-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Young vs old.

Keep those young punks in line :lol:

sense
01-25-2014, 07:36 PM
mix 1.

neks
01-27-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm late to the party but I listened to both files and I did prefer file #1 for the reasons that were mentioned.

#2 was definitely lacking some variations. #1 was also lacking on the plain scratching side but managed to keep me entertained.

gj to both and keep up practicing

maelstrom99
03-06-2014, 11:42 PM
both had potential and a lot of ideasrs

diceallion
03-07-2014, 03:31 PM
wow guys, hats off 2 the both of you. Mix 1 had me on my feet smiling within the 1st second, no joke... but lost interest in the 2nd half. Mix 2 I loved your consistency, really like 1:25 scratching.

TheRabbitMonk
03-10-2014, 12:44 PM
wow guys, hats off 2 the both of you. Mix 1 had me on my feet smiling within the 1st second, no joke... but lost interest in the 2nd half. Mix 2 I loved your consistency, really like 1:25 scratching.

Mix 1 was mine and you've really upset me saying you lost interest.

Just kidding thanks for the feedback.

akswun
03-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Lol, yes mix2 was mine.... I was focusing on core scratches as I've repeatedly said on numerous threads. I've been avoiding the 'freestyle' scratch because really it can sound bad really fast. As boring as my scratching gets doing repetative basic scratches they are clean. But lately when I do my 'freestyle' stuff its clean as fuck. Almost got my 2 clicks at a faster speed.

I'm down to throwdown again Rabbit if you want.

And let me add, when I listened to your submission I was kind of like 'what'? I didn't feel that you scratched at all. You did, but didn't... you know. Anyway... again I'm down to do another battle if you're cool with that. I've been straight vinyl and loopers lately. Maybe we can do a 'core scratch' battle'. Using DJ Rectangles "Increase your speed" track. It starts off slow but increases speed and will really test your practice.

TheRabbitMonk
03-10-2014, 02:31 PM
i've not been practicing at all my friend as i've been doing Insanity workout and it's taking up quite abit of my evenings. Thats said let me go home and see where i'm at and i'll get back to you.

I sort of know what you mean about the last battle. the sad thing is i can scratch as well but it turned into something else when i prepared it.

TheRabbitMonk
03-10-2014, 06:58 PM
ok we can do if you like.
2 samples arrrrhhh, and orr yeaa.

you pick time scale. what do you think?

have you got war flex or sn2 aps on your phone?

diceallion
03-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Ahhhhhhh, Im sorry Rabbit, the 1st part was definite KICK ASS, and in your honor, I will listen to it again right now!.

TheRabbitMonk
03-10-2014, 07:20 PM
lol no need mate i don't think much of it myself

diceallion
03-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Too bad, it's on! :)

TheRabbitMonk
03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
should have a listen myself.

yea its not very good, i got bored at the end i think.

akswun
03-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Hey
Yeah I've got warflex and SN2. We can do the 2minute thing again. We can do whatever beat off of warflex, really like the one in the top left corner(blue marble?) or we can just choose our own beats.

BTW, good on you for getting your Fit on. Insanity is tough. Working out can take out a chunk of time in your day, just build that routine and you'll never notice.

Didn't mean to talk your submission down, mine was really repetitive and boring as well. Just taking the L a little sorely but I'm down to battle again. :D

TheRabbitMonk
03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Hey
Yeah I've got warflex and SN2. We can do the 2minute thing again. We can do whatever beat off of warflex, really like the one in the top left corner(blue marble?) or we can just choose our own beats.

BTW, good on you for getting your Fit on. Insanity is tough. Working out can take out a chunk of time in your day, just build that routine and you'll never notice.

Didn't mean to talk your submission down, mine was really repetitive and boring as well. Just taking the L a little sorely but I'm down to battle again. :D

2 mins sounds good and yes to one of the tracks off war flex. Are we agreeing to using the two samples (arrrrhhh, and orr yeaa) or any sample?

Don't worry about the last submission, I didn't think it was up to scratch either.

akswun
03-11-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm cool with any samples...

So yeah, I say blue marble unless you want something else.

TheRabbitMonk
03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm cool with any samples...

So yeah, I say blue marble unless you want something else.

strangely enough i like the one you done your first battle with.

Also we need to work out a deadline. I'm kinda busy over the next week or so, but I should be able to find some time by the 27th March.

What do you think?

akswun
03-14-2014, 08:22 AM
strangely enough i like the one you done your first battle with.

Also we need to work out a deadline. I'm kinda busy over the next week or so, but I should be able to find some time by the 27th March.

What do you think?
lol, yeah that beat is nice too. Its quicker but with the speed adjust you can go whatever bpm you want. the 27th sounds alright to me.

TheRabbitMonk
03-14-2014, 09:13 AM
let me have a spin tonight and i'll pm you the one i'm gonna use.

TheRabbitMonk
03-25-2014, 07:43 AM
27th still good for you?

Basic Impact
03-28-2014, 09:01 AM
id say 1 for originality. it was more like telling a story and doing some nice stuff with it on the way trough. not staying on 1 sample and simply put more playful which i really like and to see.

second one wasnt bad also but it was a bit the same all the time. the scratches were good and placed in the right time but it might have been better if u changed to another sample in the middle or something to spice things more up, because you have 1 beat and it sticks to that and 1 sample u scratch on and that makes it sound like its not really progressing. but overall not badly done, i wouldnt be able to do it myself :)

KLH
03-29-2014, 12:49 PM
1 - I liked it, but the focus isn't really on the scratching as much as the samples/arrangement. The best scratching is the transforming starting 28 seconds in. Overall, it was cool to listen to, but it's more like a scratch track than a battle file.

2 - Your chirps are pretty clean, but the file was solely baby scratching and chirps done with little variation, and with the odd tear thrown in. The "ahhhhh" sounds kinda digital too when you're doing the baby scratches - it definitely doesn't sound natural.

I'm going for 1, but only because of that transforming section. If that wasn't in there, I think you'd have gone too far in the "scratch track instead of a battle file" direction and I'd have gone for 2.
This is exactly what I thought of the battle as well. I wish I could scratch better. Both of you would kill my inferior skills. Great show of skills.

John Grizzly
04-07-2014, 02:50 AM
I remember when I first started DJ'ing, i came to this forum quite a lot in search of some learning experience and friendly competition on the scratch side of things. I had some good battles. I dominated some people, and got dominated by others. Strikes and gutter balls; ups an downs man. There were some really nice cutters on this site (Sigma - you still on the cut or no?) that set good examples for the nubs like me coming up at the time. What happened? No offense personally to the people in this battle, but at the end of the day... it sucks. Is there anyone that pursues mastery at scratching in the dj world anymore? If so, I challenge you. I don't care if i get destroyed or son the fuck out of somebody on here. The bar has sunk too many notches over the years... let's raise it up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pOzaE60aUE).