PDA

View Full Version : DDJ-S1 with VDJ Help

DJStevieRay
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
OK purchased a DDJ-S1 last night, hooked it up to my MBP, and it does not show in the mappers. Unpluged the USB with VDJ open and back in, rescanned, and nothing. The S1 shows in the sound config without issue, and works. I reset the controller, and the Mac in about 20 different times in different orders, again still does not show. Checked show all devices, manually selected the S1, and it does not react to anything. I though well possibly it is a defective controller, so I installed Itch, and it works like a champion.

Here is what I can tell you. If I select simple MIDI device, and click learn, it does pick up the buttons, so I know it is seeing the device. The jogs light up on the four corners.

Here is what I am running..
Early 2011 MBP 15" (I have tried both my 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz models)
Lion 10.7.3
VDJ 7.0.5 Mac edition

The only thing I can think is maybe I received a newer model of the S1 which has a different firmware or maybe they changed the sysexid for some reason? Is there a way to get the sysexid on a Mac, and is there a way to see what the mapper that is built in to VDJ 7.0.5 is looking for on the sysexid?

DJ Mizourah
04-09-2012, 09:09 PM
The S1 is integrated with Itch, have you tried it with Itch yet? I dont have VDJ so I cant comment on that.

DJStevieRay
04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Works fine with Itch, I just was trying to get it to work with VDJ, since VDJ has a few features I depend on (such as playlists for cocktail/dinner hours).

MeowMix
04-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Works fine with Itch, I just was trying to get it to work with VDJ, since VDJ has a few features I depend on (such as playlists for cocktail/dinner hours).

Not sure if VDJ has a native mapping for it. Go to the VDJ site and look for mappings there or ask on the forums.

DJStevieRay
04-10-2012, 08:35 AM
It does, and it is partially working now. This thread was a month old.

DJ Mizourah
04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I have an S1 and am interested in VDJ as well. What exactly does partially working mean, if you dont mind me asking? I want to use more controllers than just the S1, and Itch just wont work for that.

Oh, and Itch has a playlist feature. You can set your deck or decks on continuos play.

DJStevieRay
04-11-2012, 07:33 AM
I have some issues with the LED's on the left deck, that is it, but this only happens on 2011 MBP's running Lion. Windows it works fine.

Check out this thread (http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/162010/Hardware_Technical_Support/DDJ-S1_Help.html) to see all of the details of the issue I am having as well as video of the problem.

VjQue
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
dont see why you would wanna use VDJ over Serato Itch.

DJStevieRay
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Because I am a Mobile Wedding/school DJ who mixes video, and I am willing to bet your favorite software doesn't do playlists for dinner music and/or give the capability mix music videos.

VjQue
04-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Because I am a Mobile Wedding/school DJ who mixes video, and I am willing to bet your favorite software doesn't do playlists for dinner music and/or give the capability mix music videos. I'm pretty sure my current favorite software does both video (Hint My Name VJ Que) and playlist. also I left out 2 word. I was saying why you wanna use VDJ over itch now since it does video.

DJStevieRay
04-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Because I don't like my dinner music having gaps or cutting hard between tracks. Also I am comfortable with vdj as I have been using it for almost a decade. I am testing itch video, and may likely switch, I just have to become used to it, and find a way to play a nice cross fading dinner mix, as I often have to step away from my console during dinner and cocktail hour to line up the bridal party, organize the cake cutting etc.

3 things I am not sure if you can do with itch.
1- assign ambient videos to music tracks that automatically trigger with certain tracks
2- play sideshows video or PowerPoint and still have both decks available for playing music backgrounds
3- play an external camera through the video window

Please correct me if I am wrong, and then it will do what I need.