PDA

View Full Version : DMX software

electricsmooth
03-12-2012, 02:11 AM
I actually started this topic on the old DJforum and obviously now can't find it.

I'm a dummy when it comes to DMX programming. It was ok when I was just programming my RGB pucks but scanners was just too much. I have an Obey 70 that I was trying to use with my Martin MX4 scanners but was finding it incredibly tedious and frustrating trying to get even something basic programmed. I gave up and bought a Martin Showtime controller which has some pretty decent built in programs.

I am now feeling like I should have everything controlled by one device. I remember a few people recommending some software programs. Keeping in mind that my DMX IQ is extremely low, I need something that is super user friendly and that will control my pucks, my scanners, and maybe even my hazer. Any suggestions?

Also, straying from the topic a bit here, I have been having a few issues with my scanner and showtime controller setup. I get everything working just fine and sometimes after about an hour or so, a few of the lights will just go blank and stop responding. I only use DMX cable (Accu-cable). I try disconnecting and reconnecting, turning on and off but none of this does anything. I just have to remove the DMX cables from the affected scanners and let them operate by themselves on sound control. It is always a random scanner as well (not the same one everytime). ANy idea as to what is going on?

DJStevieRay
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Most every DMX software you can download a free versions (usually fully functional) to see what you like. You can look into.
Blizzard's Eclipse
ADJ's MyDMX
Chauvet ShowExpress
Freestyler
as under $500 options.

For some more advanced features, you can check out.
Martin's Lightjockey
Elation's CompuWare or EMUlation

Johnnotestine
03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Are you using a dmx terminator on your last fixture? Might solve your sporadic shutdown problem.

electricsmooth
03-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Yup I'm using a terminating plug

electricsmooth
04-01-2012, 04:12 AM
I have spent the last few hours fooling around with ADJs MyDMX and I quite like it. I'm thinking of picking up the dongle. It is pretty easy to use, nothing like my Obey 70. I know people are wary about ADJ but the software is quite user friendly with a lot of youtube tutorials. Only concern is that my scanners show up in the 3d visualizer but my pucks do not. I'm sure it is just a software thing and that the pucks would work just fine when physically connected (you can select them from the menu, they just don't show up on the visualizer).

I'm assuming I need a separate laptop for this. Dos it have to be top notch with great specs or can I use an old one I have that's a few years old?

Just realized that this software does not have sound control. Is this common for DMX software?