PDA

View Full Version : Behringer DDM 4000 or Pioneer DJM 600

Rumbubble
01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Hello, djforums.

You guys helped me a great deal with my last query, so where better than here again!

I am currently the owner of a pair of Technics 1210 MK2's, yet am without a mixer. When my student loan comes in next week, I'll finally be able to purchase one to go with my Technics. Currently my two options are: a brand new Behringer DDM 4000 for ~£240 from America, or an old (but still fully functional!) Pioneer DJM 600 for £250. I am currently torn between which to buy. The Behringer has its "newness" on its side, as well as being a hit among budget DJers. However, the Pioneer DJM 600 would seemingly have the quality of the Pioneer brand behind it, as well as its sturdiness. The only problems the seller of the Pioneer has noted me of is that a couple of knobs on channel 2 and 3 do not click when passing the 0dB midpoint. As an entirely novice mixer, it is unlikely I'll require more than two, at least for a while.

I have never mixed before, but I would like the mixer I choose to buy to last me a good couple of years. Any questions, please ask away! If you have any suggestions outside the two listed above, again, please feel free to state them!

Thanks.

ksound
01-06-2014, 11:34 AM
I just did some mixer shopping, got an almost new rane empath for $500

My research wasn't in your budget range, but in my opinion the 600 is overpriced crap

My opinion, find the mixer you want and keep an eye on ebay, fb groups for used gear, etc; and then try to steal it at rock bottom price

For 1200's with no digital crap I'd get a good condition rane 56, which I've seen go for as little as $200

Andrew B
01-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I would recommend neither.

Rumbubble
01-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I would recommend neither.

Then please, offer some guidance!

Edit: I suppose my budget would be like £300 (~$500). Please consider that America's goods are generally considerably cheaper than the stuff over here in the UK. Thanks!

Windows 95
01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
my budget would be like £300I'd look for a used Ecler HAK360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhfpRfXw1A

Andrew B
01-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Then please, offer some guidance!

Edit: I suppose my budget would be like £300 (~$500). Please consider that America's goods are generally considerably cheaper than the stuff over here in the UK. Thanks!

Do you need four channels? How about a DJM-250? I'm assuming you're not interested in scratching?

Rumbubble
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Do you need four channels? How about a DJM-250? I'm assuming you're not interested in scratching?

I can't see myself needing more than two channels for a long while. As I said, I've never mixed before so I'd be highly reluctant to complicate things further than needed. And no interest in scratching for now, correct. I've heard a lot that the DJM-250, whilst it has the Pioneer quality with its sound, is kind of lackluster in most other aspects.

JackStalk
01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I'd pick the DJM250/400 over the DJM-600 unless you absolutely NEED four channels. I've been DJing for years and never needed the extra two channels. It depends on your style. Pioneer over Behringer because I'm a Pioneer fanboy and it'll be easier to get used to other Pioneer mixers if you're using house equipment when playing out. A lot of the button placement and functionality is largely similar between models.

James Martin
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
I been using my Behringer DDM4000 for a little over three months now, no issue's. My personal preface are 4 channels main because they are expandable, sure mixing with more than 2 decks on a gig wouldn't be practical but at home 3 or more decks it's fun. I currently using two TT a CDJ ndx400, my music is on vinyl, CD's and software.

But what I'm trying to say, it's a personal preference and what's the intent, in my circle I see more dj's with multiple decks and 4 channel mixers and even rotary mixers such as Urei and Bozak than 2channel mixers.

kyle133
01-06-2014, 05:26 PM
I've heard a lot that the DJM-250, whilst it has the Pioneer quality with its sound, is kind of lackluster in most other aspects.

I own a DJM 250. Had it for about a half a year now. The only thing lackluster about the DJM 250 is the line faders. They are extremely loose. The VU meters are not the greatest either. Everything else about this mixer is excellent for a bedroom DJ and even using for gigs. It has XLR outs, metal pots on every knob except the switch for the AUX inputs. The filters sound great and so does the mixer.

My mixer is in as good of shape as it was when it came out of the box. High recommend the DJM 250 :)

Catch22
01-06-2014, 06:06 PM
I'd say xone 22. Get send, returns and an output to record.

oddnumber
01-06-2014, 06:55 PM
second that

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Allen---Heath-Xone-22-105476550-i1474978.gc

Windows 95
01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I'd say xone 22. Reliability is an issue with that mixer.

but I would like the mixer I choose to buy to last me a good couple of years.

kyle133
01-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Reliability is an issue with that mixer.

Yep, that's why I bought a DJM 250 instead.

ampnation
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Ecler Nuo 2 or 2.0 used would be another great option. No bells and whistles, just great build quality and very good sound quality. I have a Nuo 3 and I'm the 3rd owner and it is great. It does have the very loosey goosey crossfader that scratchers love. A little too loose for my tastes. The other quirk is the line faders that have most of their action in the top 1/3 of the fader, so despite having a long travel, they're no more accurate than most line faders with half the travel. (I don't know off the top of my head, but I'm guessing 100mm or more on the Nuo). To me neither of these is a deal breaker though.

TheRabbitMonk
01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
How's the mixer treating you?

Irrational_Fear
01-07-2014, 05:55 AM
The only thing to consider with the DJM250 is the lack of a dedicated 'Record Output'. If you are starting out you are definately going to want to be recording your mixes to track your progress.

If you are planning on using the XLR master output for your main speakers then you can use the second (RCA) master output for recording so no problems, but if you are going to be using the RCA master output for your speakers then you will need another work around. (Somebody please correct me on this if I have understood this wrong!)

In my opinion its a real shame they left this off considering it's obvious target market, as it is otherwise a pretty much perfect mixer for starting out.

Windows 95
01-07-2014, 06:28 AM
but if you are going to be using the RCA master output for your speakers then you will need another work around.Two - RCA male to RCA female "Y" adapters.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/CheapCharley/DJing/RCAmaletoRCAfemaleYadapter.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/CheapCharley/DJing/RCAmaletoRCAfemaleYadapter.jpg

Irrational_Fear
01-07-2014, 06:45 AM
I thought that would probably be the way- I nearly suggested it as I used a similar thing with an old mixer I had many moons ago, but I found the quality dropped enough to put me off mentioning it.

Maybe this was more to do with the quality of the splitters I used rather than the actual process involved?

Adzm00
01-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Reliability is an issue with that mixer.

What are the reliability issues because I have never experienced them nor has anyone mentioned such issues to me.

DJ Difficult
01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Only negative thing in Xone22 is power plug. Mixer doesn't have any main power switch so people tend to shut it down by unplugging it. And that's the reason why it brokes down. Simple solution for that is a lamp switch on power cord.
+1 for Xone22 from here too. Great mixer with really nice sound, brilliant EQs and every possible connection that you can ask from a 2 channel mixer.

Rumbubble
01-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Hey, thanks for all your responses. I suspect it's likely I'll go with either the Pioneer DJM250 or the Allen and Heath Xone 22. Now need to decide between them two.

Scummer
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
One of my first mixers was a DDM4000. I still have it, and I'm actually just getting around to selling it after I got a DJM900 a year ago. It's a great mixer for the money. Can be had used for around $200 or less. My only real gripe with it is that some the functions on it are a bit complicated (though by no means horrible) to utilize and if you want to use it for MIDI, you need a 5-pin to USB adapter. Not real familiar with the djm600, but I reckon it must be far less complicated based on Pioneer being who they are. I don't think you'd really be disappointed with either, but given the option, I'd probably go with the Pio.