PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Jackstalk vs Baller95 - Top 40 & Electro/Progressive House Battle

JonAvalon
01-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/Jackstalk-vs-Baller95-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/Jackstalk-vs-Baller95-2.mp3)

Rules:
- No post production.
- 3 contestants max (so 1 or 2 more).
- Mix must be between 20-30 minutes.
- Loser has to share one of the winners mixes on soundcloud.

M!TCH
01-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Mix 1: uhm...is there a serious quality issue going on here?

Sigma
01-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Mix 1 - I was taken out of my music-induced coma briefly by one of the Tag Team saying "let's take this back to the old school", until I realised he was lying to me. The only thing old school about this mix is that you somehow managed to use 128 Kbps MP3s downloaded from Kazaa to make it. The mixing is alright. Some of the timing was off in places though.

Mix 2 - Ah, the dulcet auto-tuned tones of an averagely talented white woman! This is a much better opening! It's hard to tell if some of the music was clipping or if it's supposed to be that way. There's a breakdown about 9 minutes in where a woman sings with a bit of keyboard action in the background and I was thinking "hey, this isn't that bad!", but thankfully, the producer introduced the exact same sounds and song structure that every top 40 act uses and all my thoughts of "this is a bit different!" dissolved. Phew. The mixing was adequate, but without the timing issues of mix 1.

It's tough to pick a winner, as both of these mixes left me feeling equally dead inside, but I would give it to mix 2 as if that was playing in my Beats by Dr. Dre headphones when I went on a murderous rampage with a machine gun, I might stop when it came to shooting myself. With mix 1, I'd probably shoot myself first.

^^Now that is elitist hate, right?

Baller95
01-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Just gave em a listen! Good luck JackStalk :tup:

M!TCH
01-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Just gave em a listen! Good luck JackStalk :tup:

I take it the first mix sounds okay to you? I tried listening and the quality made it difficult to listen to.

Baller95
01-05-2014, 11:10 AM
I take it the first mix sounds okay to you? I tried listening and the quality made it difficult to listen to.

It's not the best to be honest but it should be ok enough to listen to. If it's not going to be easy to decide because of the sound quality then don't vote? :shrug:

M!TCH
01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
It's not the best to be honest but it should be ok enough to listen to. If it's not going to be easy to decide because of the sound quality then don't vote? :shrug:

First listen to the quality was absolutely atrocious. Not sure if something weird was happening on my end. Working fine now though.

Mix 1: I like the vocal in this first two minutes. Mix @ ~4:20 was a bit rough. A lot of stuff going on and sounded like clashing. Next minute was definitely better. WTF am I listening to?!? Mr. Farmer had a cow? :lol: Next mix was better. Next mix out of the Feeling Good remix flowed better than previous ones. Next mix could have been phrased better. One thing I notice in your mixes is that you tend to bring the energy up before the mix then during the mix it drops and then rebuilds. I suggest trying to keep energy high for a few tracks including the transitions and then use a couple "cool off" tracks so it's not too high the whole way through. You might want to check either your source for your tracks or your recording inputs. The quality of tracks still sounded extremely poor.

Mix 2: Better intro. Second track coming in sounded louder than proceeding track. Same thing as mix 1, lose a lot of energy in between mixes. I think you started off EQing and fading transitions better. Whatever happened right after I Like To Move It was too abrupt. Similar transitions the whole way through. I didn't hear anything that really stood out at me.

My vote goes to mix 2.

Baller95
01-05-2014, 01:56 PM
First listen to the quality was absolutely atrocious. Not sure if something weird was happening on my end. Working fine now though.

Oh that's strange. Good it's working now though!

M!TCH
01-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Voted

Baller95
01-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Vernski
01-07-2014, 03:37 AM
Note to self....."Remember Forum Rules - No type of music is better than another"

Ok, So I checked the two mixes out.

MIX 1: I realise that this is the style of music that the masses crave for, but I really struggled with the constant pounding beats and varying types of this from song to song. I did like the starting vocals in Siren but it was wrecked by all the other stuff. My hat goes off to anyone to mixes this type of stuff, short blends and quick mixing is something I don't really do. There were a few busy spots with lots going on but all in all it was well put together.

MIX 2: This had similar stuff I wasn't keen on, but it had a few classic surprises for me that enabled me to enjoy more. After all the pounding, it was sooooo sooooothing to hear some Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but then that was remixed or something too. Then Sandstorm come on and sold, I was hooked after that and never looked back. I thought both mixes seemed to be pretty equal in the mixing dept. Mix 2 in front, overall track in mix 2 got me over the line.

Mix 2 it is.

Well Done Guys

Baller95
01-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks for listening Vernski :)

Baller95
01-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Come on guys we need more voters! :)

Baller95
01-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Anyone else? :P

Vernski
01-18-2014, 03:12 AM
Do we know who's mix actually won?

Baller95
01-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I was mix 1 so congrats Jack! Thanks for the feedback everyone and thanks to the unknown 1 person that voted for me :P

Sorry if the audio quality wasn't too good, I made this mix literally a few days after getting my new controller so I didn't have the settings on Serato DJ and my computer set up properly. I think I've got it fixed now! :tup:

JackStalk
01-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Good game baller95! It's fun to play different genres. You don't have to share one of my mixes, I was just in it for fun

Baller95
01-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Good game baller95! It's fun to play different genres. You don't have to share one of my mixes, I was just in it for fun

Haha no worries, I almost forgot so send me a pm to a link to your soundcloud mix :tup:

maelstrom99
03-06-2014, 11:39 PM
well done both of you, sounded good on my run