PDA

View Full Version : Mashup and bootleg

wex
03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Hi folks,

I have a question or two...

1.What is a bootleg? - As far as I know (If wrong, please correct me): A bootleg could be a remix, or any kind of edit of a track that didn't got permissions from the artist to edit it...then they call it bootleg remix, or etc...Correct or not? :P

2.I know what is a Mashup, but do you also need permissions from the original track artist and vocal to name a tune (Your Name Mashup), or then if you just do a mashup for fun without any permission, you should name it (Your Name Bootleg) or (Your Name Mashup Bootleg) or it can be (Your Name Mashup)?

I hope you understood what I was trying to tell and ask :D Sorry for my english...

Thanks in advance for help!

mainstreamdjs
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi folks,

I have a question or two...

1.What is a bootleg? - As far as I know (If wrong, please correct me): A bootleg could be a remix, or any kind of edit of a track that didn't got permissions from the artist to edit it...then they call it bootleg remix, or etc...Correct or not? :P

2.I know what is a Mashup, but do you also need permissions from the original track artist and vocal to name a tune (Your Name Mashup), or then if you just do a mashup for fun without any permission, you should name it (Your Name Bootleg) or (Your Name Mashup Bootleg) or it can be (Your Name Mashup)?

I hope you understood what I was trying to tell and ask :D Sorry for my english...

Thanks in advance for help!

Bootleg started as a house remix or edit, whether you were gluing two tracks together or making your own parts of a track. NOW...people are using the word bootleg for a lot of things because the term MASHUP sounds so damnnn ugly so we are seeing bootleg being tagged on a lot of different things (even mashups)

Cervantes
03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
to me a bootleg is any type of remix done w/out the permission of the artist....

a mashup is exactly that, 2 or more tracks pieced together

wex
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Andrew B
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Bootleg and mashup are pretty much interchangeable terms. But bootleg can also refer to what Cerv said.

Daniel S
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Bootleg as a term stems from back in the days of the prohibition when bootleggers smuggled moonshine in their boots.
In music it means any recording that's unofficially distributed by other sources than the artist's record company and is a term that has been used at least since the 70s. There are plenty of bootlegged live recordings.

Bootleg <> Mashup

Mashup is taking two pieces of music and combining elements from both to form a new mix. Usually they are distributed as bootlegs, but the terms are not describing the same thing.

Andrew B
03-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Bootleg <> Mashup

Mashup is taking two pieces of music and combining elements from both to form a new mix. Usually they are distributed as bootlegs, but the terms are not describing the same thing.

The terms have been interchangeable for over 10 years now. It all started with the "bootleg" craze in the UK, which gained worldwide popularity around 2001.

Like I said, bootleg still holds the traditional meaning. But it can also refer specifically to a mashup. Meanings change over time. Although I have to say that use of the term "bootleg" to refer to a mashup has declined with the newer generation of DJs.

wex
03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
So, if I get a track and and acapella, and make a mashup, it can't be named just a mashup, because I've got no permissions from the track artist(s), right? Maybe Mashup Bootleg?

Andrew B
03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
So, if I get a track and and acapella, and make a mashup, it can't be named just a mashup, because I've got no permissions from the track artist(s), right? Maybe Mashup Bootleg?

Of course it can be called a mashup. You just can't sell it.

wex
03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Ok, that's all I wanted to ask and make it clear for myself :)
Thanks again everyone! You're all helpful :)